Was Jesus A Carpenter?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Holly Saunders, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL.....they say he was a carpenter....is there anythng we know of that he actually built? ;)

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Holly, I don't know of anything on earth that He personally built, but I hear tell He's building lots of mansions in Heaven for all of us. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I wasn't being deliberately provocative...I was and Am genuinely really interested in where the title of Carpenter actually came from with regard Jesus...

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Jewish culture at the time required fathers to teach their children a trade by age twelve and, since Joseph was a carpenter, it is surmised that Jesus was also trained as a carpenter. Interestingly, not knowing the original languages myself I cannot say with any certainty, but I was told that the word translated "carpenter" could also mean "builder" and, since the area in which they lived didn't have an abundance of wood, it's possible that he was what we would think of as a stonemason.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, according to Biblical History Jesus worked along side His earthly father Joseph and learned the carpenter trade.

It was only the last 3 years of His life basically that He "came out" as the Messiah. So He probably built quite a few things because they didn't have all the stores and stuff around to order things from like they do today. :)

I actually have to make a correction in my post here because even though Jesus did tell His disciples He was the Messiah and some others too recognized this fact during His last 3 years of life...most people did not recognize Him as such...even to the day they crucified Him for saying He was. Most of the time He told those He healed, etc. not to tell anyone who He was or what He had done for them...though many of them did tell anyway.

When Jesus spoke He always told the truth and if He was asked if He was the Messiah He would tell them He was but He never boasted or bragged about who He was.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

So then would Jesus have been the first Freemason? My husband was a Mason but I don't remember what their views were regarding Jesus.

I do know that the G stood for God or Geometry...not sure now, Ive forgotten so much. Do know you couldn't be an atheist if you wanted to join.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

In all honesty Chrissy, I don't believe there were any Freemasons back then...although they may have had a group like them calling themselves something else.

In my opinion Jesus was God's only begotten Son...and our one and only Messiah(or Savior/Redeemer). He had disciples but I don't believe they would be considered Freemasons either.

Chrissy Cross likes this.