Was Jesus A Carpenter?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Holly Saunders, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL.....they say he was a carpenter....is there anythng we know of that he actually built? ;)

David Crosse likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly, I don't know of anything on earth that He personally built, but I hear tell He's building lots of mansions in Heaven for all of us. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't being deliberately provocative...I was and Am genuinely really interested in where the title of Carpenter actually came from with regard Jesus...

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Jewish culture at the time required fathers to teach their children a trade by age twelve and, since Joseph was a carpenter, it is surmised that Jesus was also trained as a carpenter. Interestingly, not knowing the original languages myself I cannot say with any certainty, but I was told that the word translated "carpenter" could also mean "builder" and, since the area in which they lived didn't have an abundance of wood, it's possible that he was what we would think of as a stonemason.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, according to Biblical History Jesus worked along side His earthly father Joseph and learned the carpenter trade.

It was only the last 3 years of His life basically that He "came out" as the Messiah. So He probably built quite a few things because they didn't have all the stores and stuff around to order things from like they do today. :)

I actually have to make a correction in my post here because even though Jesus did tell His disciples He was the Messiah and some others too recognized this fact during His last 3 years of life...most people did not recognize Him as such...even to the day they crucified Him for saying He was. Most of the time He told those He healed, etc. not to tell anyone who He was or what He had done for them...though many of them did tell anyway.

When Jesus spoke He always told the truth and if He was asked if He was the Messiah He would tell them He was but He never boasted or bragged about who He was.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

So then would Jesus have been the first Freemason? My husband was a Mason but I don't remember what their views were regarding Jesus.

I do know that the G stood for God or Geometry...not sure now, Ive forgotten so much. Do know you couldn't be an atheist if you wanted to join.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

In all honesty Chrissy, I don't believe there were any Freemasons back then...although they may have had a group like them calling themselves something else.

In my opinion Jesus was God's only begotten Son...and our one and only Messiah(or Savior/Redeemer). He had disciples but I don't believe they would be considered Freemasons either.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://gracethrufaith.com/topical-...ority/the-true-identity-of-jesus-of-nazareth/

Of all the so-called holy books, only the Bible authenticates itself. It does so through a method we call predictive prophecy and it works like this. Only God knows the end from the beginning. To help us learn to believe Him, He told His ancient people things that hadn’t happened yet. Then when they came to pass just like He said they would, He had them document everything and preserve it for future generations. We call this documentation the Bible, which by many accounts consists of nearly 40% predictive prophecy, some fulfilled and some still to come.

When asked what work God requires of us, Jesus replied, “The work of God is this. Believe in the One He has sent.” (John 6:28-29) Because He’s told us so many things in advance and has always been right, He expects us to believe in Him. His view is that He’s proven Himself so far beyond any reasonable doubt that people who say they don’t believe in Him are really being disobedient by refusing to believe. And belief is a requirement. That’s why in the New Testament the Greek word translated unbelief also means disobedient.

The Old Testament is so chock full of the proof of God’s existence that there’s simply no justification for unbelief. (In my article Proving The existence Of God I used the examples of Cyrus the Persian and Alexander the Great to show that anyone with a Study Bible and a competent history book can verify the existence of God simply by comparing fulfilled prophecy with world history.)

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”(Psalm 14:1). Only a fool can say that. But even a fool can’t say it logically, with his mind, because there’s too much evidence to the contrary. He has to say it emotionally, in his heart. Foolish opinions based on emotion don’t need to be true.

What’s The Point?
    Of all the things we should believe about God, the most important one is that He sent His Son to die for our sins so we could spend eternity with Him. The first prophecy of this appears in Genesis 3:15 and it’s repeated throughout the Old Testament.

Can we prove beyond a reasonable doubt that He’s done this? After all He’s asked us to risk our entire eternity on this issue alone, and by the time we find out for sure if He was telling the truth or not, it’ll be too late. We’ll be dead. It’s pretty important that we know for certain....

Click on the link for the rest of the story...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I expect he was handy. Joseph was said to be a carpender and I expect growing up Jesus learned a thing or two. I imagine in conversation with the guys and gals of his time he may have been good at using an analogy of the carpender's trade. And you'd have to say he was plenty good as a jawboner.

Chris Ladewig and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Since fathers often taught their sons the trade they were in I'm pretty sure Joseph did teach Jesus carpentry too and although I'm not going to go look up the Scripture verses there are some that refer to his being true too.

Jesus was in his 30's when he began his ministry to show the World who he was and what he came to earth for. He was certainly doing something to support himself and probably help his family out until that ministry began. I have no doubt it was the trade of carpentry that his earthly father Joseph taught him. :)

12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I read long ago that they may have actually been stone masons.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

To me it would probably be a combination of wood and stone they worked with. :)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Mark 6:3.........Is this not the carpenter, the son of ......................................?

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Babs.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=as+jesus+a+carpenter+or+a+stone+mason&t=ffab&atb=v90-7&ia=web

The Greek word is Teckton which means builder. Now, some say he worked with wood; building tools, doors, shelves, tables etc. = carpenter. Others say because of the region and the resources were rock, and most everything was built from rock, then he built millstones, winepresses, houses, etc. = stonemason. There is no real evidence to clarify exactly what Joseph was a builder of, but we know that he was a Teckton = Builder.

This page from the same site offers additional explanation for the stonemason theory:

Given that Israel's buildings were constructed of stones and rocks, Jesus likely worked as a stonemason rather than a carpenter. He probably spent hours helping his father shape and cut stones.

https://christianity.stackexchange....-evidence-is-there-that-jesus-was-a-carpenter