Was God Ever Real To You And If He Was Why Is He Not Anymore?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

All through my life I have heard many people say: "I used to believe in God, but then He let my loved one die, or suffer terribly. Or I asked Him to do this or give me this and He didn't. Or He lets evil people get rich, etc. while good people go hungry and homeless, etc. Or Christians are some of the meanest, hypocritcal, people in the world, etc. Some even say the reason they don't believe in God is because family or church, etc., crammed Him down my throat until I wanted nothing to do with Him. While going through earthly trials and suffering many people who believe in God draw closer to Him while others draw away or even walk away from Him.

Was there a time when you believed in God but now you don't? What made you stop believing?

I almost stopped believing in God when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real...I figured if he wasn't real then neither was Jesus since Christmas belonged to both of them. I guess I had an enquiring mind even then that wouldn't give up on searching for the truth about things so although I started having my doubts about God then I didn't lose all my belief in Him. But I did tell Him if He was real and not a myth like Santa Claus...then He was going to have to prove Himself to me in a way that I could understand. And no matter what I have gone through in my life good or bad...He has always shown me He is real in a way which has always brought me peace and assurance in spite of the circumstances.

But for others...this has not been the case. If it has not been yours I hope you will share this with me.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would say I believed because I was taught to believe in Catholic School, it was part of my education. I never really gave it much thought either way. I went through all the right rituals in the Catholic Church. Communion, confirmation but stopped at matrimony because I married a divorced man so hot married in a Lutheran Church.

Had both my children baptized catholic though and I don't remember the details but it wasn't easy. Involved something from the archdiocese of Chicago. My son we had baptized at my mothers church in Pittsburgh, again it involved some connections. Then I didn't do anything else with religion with my children.
    I cant say that one day I just thought, I don't believe in God, science shows otherwise. I never blamed God for anything that's happened in my life but I probably also never gave credit to God for anything in my life either.

I'm a person that needs fact, faith isn't enough for me. I'm not against religion, but I am not religious. I hesitate to use the word atheist because I'm not there either.

I do not believe in a devil, there is no evil force making us do bad things. It's our free will.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

If one commits to, admits belief, one way or the other, he/she will be placed on the "good" list of believers, as well as the "bad" list of non-believers. Thus, continues the ages-old argumant, "resolved" in the believers' minds, belied by the others.

For that reason, I personally choose to remain non-committal. I will say, however, that I personally have known a number of folks raised as Catholic, who denounced their belief as young adults. I have not known any from other faiths who did so. That is not meant to imply anything to denigrate Catholicism, but likely stems from the mores of those I knew years back.
    Frank

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never renounced my faith, Frank....just let it go. It's a gradual thing.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My religious denomination was Catholicism from the time I was born...but this wasn't my faith...it was the Faith my parents believed in and practiced. When I was old enough to make my own decisions (along with some "nudges" in my spirit) I found Catholicism was not where my Faith was so I went on a faith journey through the Bible and different denominations to find out what my beliefs were. I am happy that my faith journey started and ended with the God of the Bible although it did not end with the religious denomination of Catholicism. My Faith is not in any of the religious denominations I searched for it in although I enjoyed my time searching for my beliefs in each one. No, my Faith is from my heart and mind for when they gave me peace and assurance that I had found "my beliefs and truth"...my own Faith took off and soared and has been soaring ever since. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.