Want Fries With That?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ruby Begonia, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

:eek: @Ruby Begonia ! I'm trying to stick to a very strict diet day here and now all I can think about is McD's fries! o_O Oh my, it's been so long since I've had McD's fries!

Well now... let me think of something else. I had a turkey sausage low-cal roll-up and a piece of fruit for breakfast... homemade detox soup for lunch. Supper is going to be some of our leftover Kheema and brown rice. There... diet thoughts in my head now.

But those fries sure did look good. :p

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Mari, I had to google Kheema. Sounds like something I would like. Thanks

4. Mari North

Registered

I wasn't sure about it, but it was very good... and it smelled sooooo wonderful with the mix of spices. It was cinnamon, curry powder, turmeric, uh... can't remember the rest offhand but I did a post about it in the food section and listed all the ingredients when I made it. It will definitely be going on my "keep" list.

And it's relatively low calorie (recipe from Spark People, in fact) so that's another plus. But the aroma... my my! (If you look it up at Spark, they're spelling it "Keema"... it's Pakistani.. either spelling is accepted.)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Mari North

Registered

One other thing about that, @Ruby Begonia ... if you do look it up on Spark People, there are alternatives in the comments and I always read those. Someone said they use sweet potato instead of regular potato, so that's what I did... bought one of those pre-washed sweet potatoes and peeled/diced it and then cooked it for about 22 minutes. (didn't want to make mush by baking it.) It was great with the sweet potato and I'm very glad I didn't use regular potato.

I had leftovers of it tonight and it's still as good as it was a few nights ago. :) I also have some of it frozen... it's very filling and makes a nice amount.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I started high school, I ate lunch in the cafeteria exactly one time. After the first day, I learned that we didn't have to eat lunch in the cafeteria because our high school was not a closed campus. Like many others, I would walk a couple of blocks to a restaurant in downtown Stephenson, Michigan, where they pre-prepared a large quantity of hamburgers and french fries. There were no special orders and no waiting. Nothing else was available in the time that we had for lunch, but they were big and they were good, and with a huge order of the best fries that I can remember ever having. There would be a long line but it was a fast moving one. Some days, I didn't eat lunch at all, but most days I ate downtown.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I remember when French fries were actually made from real sliced up potatoes, and not processed potatoes then formed into strips and made into fries.
    For me, there is just a whole world of difference in the taste.
    I occasionally have fries; but even when I drown them in ketchup, they are just not the same as real ones are.
    We sometimes go to Frizzles and have cheeseburgers and fries.
    They are a fast food place here, and on Tuesday, they have Seniors Day, and our meal is just $2.99 each. We get a cheeseburger deluxe, French fries, drink, and ice cream cup for dessert. You just can't beat the price for all of that food, so that is our indulgence once or twice a month.

Your story reminds me of when I worked at Subway, @Ken Anderson . It was when I lived in Idaho, and the Subway was next to the high school.
    We would have a line way outside the building of the kids coming in. Subway had a small sandwich and the kids would get that with the small drink and chips, and that would be their lunch. Almost none of them got anything besides mayo or mustard on the sandwich; so it was fast and easy for us to make, and we always had extra help for the noon hours (11-1).

8. Ken Anderson

Good fries don't need ketchup. I might use it, but it doesn't need it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My friends and I never set foot in the school cafeteria. The Famous café was just across the street from school. They were famous for their chili but we usually ate hamburgers and fries.

You can still find their chili in stores today with the brand names Famous or Four Star chili.

Back to French fries, we rarely eat them and when we do we cook them ourselves. I have some cut up potatoes in the freezer from last years garden. Hmmm, hamburgers and fries just might be on my menu soon.

11. Ken Anderson

I don't eat a lot of fries anymore but I sometimes make a small amount of them here at home, from real potatoes.

12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow that is a whole lot of fries illustrated by the OP. As for myself, I love french fries even if I know they aren't the most healthiest things to eat. I especially like curly fries. I agree that certain types of fries including these don't need ketchup to be flavorful.

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....we was robbed!
    [​IMG]

14. Mari North

Registered

That sounds so nice! My school was in the middle of small-town nowhere and no such thing was available... well, no need for it actually since there were no restaurants in town... at least not near my school. :)

So I had to eat in the cafeteria. Sometimes that was an exciting prospect and something to look forward to... but then there were the days when we had things like "Hamburger, Peas, and Gravy." Oh my goodness, just the thought of that stuff made me gag. BUT years later, guess what? I started missing it and tried to make it on my own. We liked it and I *still* make it once every few months.

15. Mari North

Registered

Speaking of fries... and the fact that @Yvonne Smith mentioned ketchup, what do ya'll like on your fries? For me it's always been ketchup mostly *but* I've been liking horsey sauce on them, too. There's horsey sauce that's nice and mild, and that's what I like but the last time I bought some, it was a different brand, and whooooeeeee that stuff is heavy on the horseradish! :eek:

Another option is vinegar like they put on fries at fairs and carnivals. For some reason, although I like it a lot at those places, I have never done it that way at home... well now that I'm thinking of it, I believe it's not just "vinegar" so I misspoke... it's malt vinegar, right? I really don't know exactly what that is or how it's different from regular vinegar, but pretty sure I've heard that term being used.

Anything else that you put on fries? (Straight-up fries, I mean, not like covering them with chili.) ;)