Walmart Offering College Education To Its Employees At A $1 Per Day

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, May 31, 2018.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-college-education-employees-2018-5

Now this is a good thing to me. And although there are some catches...like you have to study Business or Supply something or other...it still gives you a chance to get a College Education without having to pay for the rest of your life for it.

I have been noticing lately that Walmart is changing alot of things in their store...and although you can still find the lower prices on some things...they are also adding higher priced organic foods, etc.

And now they will help their employees get a College Degree...that's some more good news for Walmart and their employees.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I heard this early this morning...very nice of Walmart.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think so to @Gloria Mitchell. :) I love doing the majority of my shopping at Walmart because they fit my budget beautifully and I have never had a problem returning an item or with service there. And I love having everything in one place so I don't have to run to 5 different stores for the things I want or need.

I'm glad to see Walmart stepping up to help educate their employees further.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hate Walmart but not for the reasons most people hate Walmart. Nearly every Walmart that I have been to has been so busy that even with a handicapped placard, which my wife has, there aren't any places to park within easy walking distance. The place is packed with the strangest assortment of people, which can be a plus. But I am not impressed with the quality of most of what they sell, particularly the food section.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We do most, but not all, of our grocery shopping at Walmart. Don't buy meat or dairy there though. At ours, there is a large bin full of music cd's for $5 each. We have bought some. As far as clothes go, only thing we buy is my underwear (t-shirts, etc.). I buy my Wilson socks online, directly from Wilson website. Don't buy shoes there anymore.

For clothes, we generally go to Penny's.

Funny thing is, when ever I ask a cashier "so, do you like working here?", I get the strangest look and then "sort of" answer. Actually, I'd really like to know the complete story behind Walmart's education thing. Perhaps I'll ask a Walmart employee about it. Just seems as if something is missing or just "to good to be true".

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The only times I've been in a Walmart that was packed with customers was when I went to one in Florida during tourist season, and sometimes during the Holiday seasons. When I go around 9am on a week day (not the weekend) I never have to worry about wall to wall customers. And the products I buy there are the same ones I would buy at other stores...only there prices are usually quite a bit lower at Walmart.

With the abundance of stores we have now days anyone can certainly choose where they like to shop...and when. For me the convenience of one stop shopping is a plus and shopping where prices stay within my budget are a plus too. Over here we have way to many stores to choose from and there are still always new ones going up. But I don't like shopping very much so I'm happy to get most of my shopping done at Walmart and let all those who love shopping have all the other stores they want. :)

I'm also glad to see that Walmart employs a lot of older people.