Walking For Exercise And Fun

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Walking. I used to be a dedicated walker; put in a few miles every day. For the past year or longer I have lost interest in it, especially walking outdoors. Too many dogs, mosquitoes, too hot, humid, blah, blah. (Any excuse to remain seated.)

So after the episode with the cardiologist earlier this year, I was kind of bummed that my resting heart rate has continued to climb. At the end of May, my RHR was around 77 BPM according to my Fitbit. So June 1st I dragged out the trusty "Walking with Leslie Sansone" DVDs and forced myself to get started. (These are exercise videos that include a lot of walking, stepping, etc. and are done in air-conditioned comfort. :D)

I'm happy to report that I'm up to 3 miles a day... 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. After a month of this my RHR is down to 70 BPM for the past week. My goal is to get it back down to around 62-65 as it was in 2018.

Screenshot of Fitbit app...

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 4.01.08 PM.jpg

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess this is the way we're supposed to go for walks, now. Keep your eyes on the smartphone, and you can exercise your eyes and your legs.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We try to get out for a three mile walk most days unlesd it’s pouring with rain. Well DH walks and I roll. For obvious reasons we have to stick to paved footpaths and sidewalks but luckily we live in an area where we can take different routes. Earlier this month we spent a week at a Swedish ski resort and they had a trail on the hilltop that was partly paved and laid with gravel as well as one with a boardwalk round a small lake so I was able to enjoy the countryside. Dh took the photos

A86D5165-C6E2-455A-BBFD-43BDECEF3982.jpeg
    5C458BB0-967A-45C4-986B-CBB56C2401FC.jpeg
    CF5AD713-9EF3-4F82-8651-307C2DEC11BD.jpeg
    8A743D99-15E9-48DB-82B5-C90AABA68E3C.jpeg

Ken Anderson and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I still walk 3 to 5 miles a day outdoors. It is great for physical and also mental health. I do most of my walking on rural paths and roads. This year for the first time I encountered a rattlesnake and several gopher-eating bullsnakes. This one was heading over to the alfalfa field for lunch. I hate snakes even good ones like this. I will kill a rattler, but these bulls I just stamp my feet to get them off the path.
    RS rs hay.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Ken Anderson and Nancy Hart like this.