Walk-in Bathtubs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Steve North, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Does anyone know something about those walk-in bathtubs ??
    We had a salesman come to out house to give us a quote on one.. Boy are they ever expensive !!! He quoted me just under $20,000 for a good one with all the options and installation as well.. So, it has a lifetime warranty, is that important ??
    This model had warm air as the jets instead of water.. Heated seats, shower, door opens inwards, and so on.....

Are they as good as they claim ??
    Are they worth the exorbitant price ??
    When it is time to sell the house, does It make a plus or a minus as far as selling the house goes ??

What we have decided, is to stay with our present system and not get involved with a walk-in tub.......

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

$20,000 sounds like a rip off to me. No tub would be worth paying that kind of price for.

Many years ago I ex brother-in-law put a walk-in tub in the bathroom that off of their den. He never mentioned price and we never asked but I do remember him showing it to us and telling us how much he enjoyed it. Since it was many years ago I'm sure it wasn't $20,000. at that time, but still I'm willing to bet it cost them a pretty penny which they could easily afford.

I've seen those tubs advertised and for those of us who have problems like arthritis, etc. ....and even just our getting older and not having as great balance, or being able to get up easily out of regular tubs, etc.... these tubs would probably be of benefit to many of us. But that kind of price does not fit in my budget for sure so I'm glad you checked it out @Steve North and let us know what kind of price tag goes with that kind of tub.

3. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

Divide $20,000 by the number of years you are going to live and how many baths per annum.....

Walk in shower with seat?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

61MtNlK5RsL._SX355_.jpg
    My Mom had a chair like this for her bathtub...it's a lot cheaper than $20.000 and doesn't have any "bells and whistles" ...but might be helpful.

5. Steve North

Registered

I agree with everyone that the price is outrageous.. I really can't justify spending that kind of money on a bath-tub..
    We have a chair that is in the tub now and it is very handy.. Of course it is not a walk-in, but it is almost good enough..
    If my wife needs help getting in and out of the tub, I am there to help her, and if I need help, she is there for me as well..

6. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago, my mother lived in a retirement home for awhile and used one of those walk in tubs. She really liked it and felt safe as she once had a nasty fall in her bathroom when living alone in her apartment . It was also very popular with the other residents as it was so easy getting in and out. As far as adding value to your home it all really depends on who the buyer is and what they are looking for IMO. A good realtor, in your area, should be able to give you some advice with that.

7. Steve North

Registered

Ann...
    I know it is a safety item as we are getting on in years and becoming less agile..
    However at the present, we are not really in need of this to bath or shower..
    As far as a realtor goes, in the country where we live, we don't have anyone that is competent enough to ask.. a young couple will definitely NOT appreciate the walk-in tub while some elder people will..
    Meanwhile, we are not ready to sell and move out into a retirement home............... Not Yet !!!!

Bottom line......................... We will keep our lovely one piece fiberglass tub which we both like and is just perfect for us at present especially with a shower seat we just bought......
    There is also a shower head that is detachable and hand held, so we have that facility as well..

Ann George and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We just use one of the regular bath tubs with the detachable shower head, and it works fine for us, at least right now. I do have trouble some times with getting into and back out of the bathtub on days when the bad knee is acting up; but even then I can do it if I am careful
    It seems like it would take a long time to take a bath in one of the walk in bathtubs, unless it also had a shower capability. Otherwise, you would have to get in, close the door, and wait for the water to fill up the tub, then bathe and wait for the water to drain back out again.
    I think that if we could not get in and out of the bathtub to take a shower, then just installing a regular shower instead of the tub/shower would work fine, and be a lot cheaper.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

In my bedroom suite I have an oval bathtub I never use and next to it is a walk in shower. I could put a seat in there and be fine.

The bathroom in the hallway has a bathtub/shower combo and that's the one I prefer using ...I never use the one in my bedroom but that would be the one to use if I'm disabled enough but at the point I'd probably be out of here anyway.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think in the future they will make walk in shower/bathtub combinations which would allow you to have the convenience of a shower or a walk in tub. I'm really surprised someone hasn't done this already....who knows maybe they have. :)

11. Steve North

Registered

The walk-in tub I was shown also had a shower head as well.. it was a hand held as well as a wall unit..

That is what I have at present in my house and it is just perfect along with a shower seat in the tub..

12. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

They look very comfortable and I'm sure they would be relaxing and soothing. But that price is outrageous. I wonder if they are available cheaper from other installers. My guess and hope would be they are.

13. Steve North

Registered

Kitty.. Yes they are available cheaper than this one, however this one is the top of the line with a lifetime guarantee..
    We have decided to forget it, and stay with our present tub, which we don't dislike..

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had someone come by to give us a quote on one a few years ago. After we told him it was far too expensive, he started talking it down. He said they are really convenient as far as getting in the tub goes but people come to hate having to wait for it to drain before they can get out.

I'd be happy if we had a tub. When we moved in here, we replaced the bathtub with a shower in order to get more room in our bathroom but now I think I'd like to have a tub again.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered