Waffles & Chicken- Never Heard Of This Meal Before, Soul Food?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

This was my lunch today and a new one for me but, I guess it's pretty popular in some parts of the country,
    particularly Texas & LA. I enjoyed it. It was quite good.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I once had an experience in Illinois where I was taken out for spaghetti and fried chicken. I had never heard of that combination before and have never since.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazing you started this thread. I've been saving this picture just for such an occasion.

I could see maybe sliced chicken with gravy on a plain waffle, but chicken wings on top of a sugared waffle? :eek: This is advertised at an Atlanta restaurant.

nanas-chicken-and-waffles-brunch-atlanta-5.png

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yuck.. I agree with you.. but not served like in this picture

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn't have a sweet waffle with a savoury dish...

sweet waffles are for breakfast... but we have waffles made from potato which we serve with savoury dishes.. do you in the USA have those?

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders ...not that I can think...not from potatoe at least.
    I have used frozen waffles they are not sweet much.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never tried chicken and waffles; but I do think that I might like it. I have had fried chicken (like at KFC) that was served with a biscuit/butter/honey, and I thought the biscuit went well with the fried chicken. Personally, I prefer cranberry sauce to either honey or jam; and if we get a take home of chicken and biscuits from Bojangles (which we do occasionally), I always add cranberry sauce to my biscuit, and eat that with the chicken.
    I think that a waffle with butter and jam, or even syrup, would not be a lot different than the biscuit and jam is. Since I have never been anywhere that served chicken and waffles, I can’t speak from experience; but I would be willing to at least try it and see.
    At home, if I make fried chicken, I generally make a salad to eat with it.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

These are our plain potato waffles...

[​IMG]

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Waffles and eggs........ now that is something that I intensely dislike ! I hate anything sweet along with an egg. Hash browns are fine, but if it is eggs and pancakes, I eat the egg first, and then eat the pancake separately, like it was dessert.
    I have never heard of a potato waffle, but I don’t see any reason why it could not be done, and if it didn’t have something sweet on it, then it might be okay to eat along with an egg, more like having hash browns and eggs.
    As much as I like ketchup, I don’t like that on eggs either, but I do like it on hash browns . This means that I divide my hash browns, and eat part of them along with the eggs, and then I put ketchup on the rest of the hash browns.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes the potato waffles are usually served with Eggs and bacon.....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't eat a plain waffle or pancakes, with syrup and coffee, on an empty stomach, without getting the low blood sugar jitters afterwards.

So whenever I order a waffle, I order an egg over medium on the side, and plop it on top. The protein in the egg stops the jitters. And I think it tastes better that way, especially when you get to the yellow. One egg doesn't overwhelm the waffle.

Decaf coffee helps with that too.

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have never had chicken and waffles, but I do occasionally make eggs and waffles. I omit any syrup and just let the egg yolk be the moisture to the waffle. It made me think of scones as a child. My mother's family was from Scotland (Glasgow) and we had scones with butter and jam for breakfast and scones with cheese for lunch. Don't know if that is usual or not and I don't know if the scones recipes were different for sweet vs. savory.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL>.Don, I can assure you that is absolutely not usual.... I have never heard in my whole life of anyone in Glasgow having scones and jam for breakfast and I grew up there....

Scones and cheese would be more acceptable for lunch , but still fairly unusual, scones and cheese or even ''cheese scones'' are a snack or a supper dish... Still, I would think it would make a nice change from simply toast or cereal...

yes you can have savoury scones ( made with salt ) or sweet made with sugar and dried fruit... ( sultana scones..cheese scones, plain scones...in Scotland there are 2 types of scones.. the usual Classic scones like these....

[​IMG]

...and dropped scones ( which are indigenous to Scotland & Ireland ) and are made on a griddle similar to pancakes...but are lighter than American pancakes and with a crusty edge

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders, the scones we had were usually biscuity in texture and often cut into triangle shapes, although they did make round ones too. My mother's family is all dead, so there is no one to ask. They also spoke of something called "Scot/Scottish Ham". Do you have any idea what that is? I have never found anyone who had even heard of it. It was described as some kind of rolled meat that was preserved. I never had that or saw it. There was some rumors that my mother's father spent time in Wales as well, and much of the family traces to Northern England, but my grandparents immigrated here from Glasgow.

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

That was possible potato griddle scones which are always triangle shaped..they are high in baking soda, and are usually served with eggs and bacon..

I have never heard of Scottish Ham... however we used to call ''bacon''.Ham as in Ham & eggs..whereas in the rest of the UK, ham and eggs means cold cuts

..and other thing that we could only ever get in Scotland which was a great favourite of mine were Ham Ribs.. they are pork Ribs, but smoked, and they would be boiled until they fell off the bone and served with cabbage.. however not rolled meat!!

Don Alaska likes this.