Vote By Mail

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, May 21, 2020.

1. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Well roared, lion. :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I may be too much of a dyed-in-the-wool conservative because I'm a law-and-order man which is why I've been wondering how a society can function properly without an ID - be it an ID card or, based on that, a voter ID. I've been used to having an ID card since aged 14.
    I heard that in some countries people don't have and hadn't always have, respectively, an ID card. How do they identify themselves then?

Sheldon Scott and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It may be that any fraud in voting will balance and cancel each other out between both parties, but I doubt it. Democrats are too good at it.

Sheldon Scott and Al Amoling like this.
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

People have been voting by mail for years. Mr Trump is fond of exercising this right himself. How are you identified at the polls? We go to the polling station get in line for our district. I tell the worker my name, she looks itup in the book and I sign right next to my existing signature. Mail in vote would be looked at the same way. You would only get a ballot,if you were a registered voter. It's not like they are going to be a blanket mailing addressed to occupant!
    This whole kerfuffle is just another tactic by his orangeness to through a nother monkey wrench in the gears.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

In Texas, we line up to vote, produce a photo ID and our voter registration card, we sign the paper, and head into the booth. I'm not sure if the voting requirements are state-wide or county-by-county.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Agree. Besides most Americans of our generation and later have rushed to get a driver's license as a teenager so have carried a photo ID for decades. The State of Texas also issues an ID card (that looks similar to a driving license) for non-drivers. Since naturally there has been a thriving counterfeit business with state-issued photo IDs, they have had to come up with some sort of holographic images on the newer licenses.

We also have a social security number but that is not a photo ID at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me that at some point, finger print ID or retina scans will replace any type of photo ID, but that will be a hard sell... as much as an implanted chip. Too "1984" for mainstream.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So CA is mailing out ballots, but people can still vote in person. Hmmm, I don't foresee any possible problems with that. :rolleyes: At least when people vote in person, if they have a problem there is a poll person/election clerk there to assist them.

I simply see any paper ballots as a step back in technology. How ignorant in this age of computers that a piece of paper to go through numerous hands isn't easy pickin's for fraud.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Peter is right in that people are already voting by mail, through absentee voting. Clearly, there are circumstances in which that makes sense, as in deployed military or those who are away from home. I believe that this is also the source of a whole lot of cheating, which is why the Democrats pushed large-scale absentee voting through. I know for a fact that it’s easy to do because I have seen it used to cheat in a local election here, where people are registered to vote in two or three addresses, and from post office boxes, and where parents pick up absentee ballots for al of their adult children, who are probably voting in the states they live in, returning the ballots with identical signatures.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Registered

Of course at this point in history the only known mass ballot fraud was committed by a republican operative in North Carolina, but lets just say its a democrat problem OK;);););););)

11. Peter Renfro

Registered

You contradict yourself in your own post. Bigly ass difference between "occupant" and "registered voters" But lets not let a bit of obfuscation git in the way, I mean what fun would it be to lay out an unadulterated fact? None! None whatsoever I tell ya!

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

@Peter Renfro its really a shame when your short term memory goes. Let me point out to you that the first statement in my post is from you in post #11. So from then on your post is utter garbage

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The thought that we have always had mail-in voting is slightly erroneous in that there is one huge chief difference between absentee ballots and the mail-in concept.
    Absentee ballots have to be applied for and on that application there are several boxes which the voter can check for the reason he or she cannot go to the polls to vote and needs a ballot. The voter then sends in the application, it’s supposedly vetted and then the voter gets the ballot.

The mail-in ballot will be issued to each person at whatever address is listed. It is my understanding that when the ballots are sent out that any resident at that address may use the ballot. In other words, on the address label it could say, “John Doe or present resident” which opens up a whole brand new way of fraudulent voting without actually being fraud. I live here, I have a ballot so that means I can vote.

Personally, I’m all for voter I.D., go to the polls or apply for an absentee ballot.
    That said, if the mail-in initiative does become part of our system then the only ones who should get a bonafide ballot are those who have applied for and received an I.D.
    I write “bonafide” because you can best bet that the ink in some personal scanners and printers will be going dry with the overuse in those less than honest households so the real ones will have to have a coded strip so they can be read by a code scanner.

14. Peter Renfro

Registered

Wow no wonder fraud is rampant where som of you live.
    In NY registered voters only ,get an application for an absentee ballot. You get this only if you have a valid card on file. If you do not take advantage of your right two years in a row you will be dropped.and have to reregister. There is no corpse over two years old that has ever voted in NY.

The problem with voter ID, once again rears it head in the old confederacy. There would be no problem with ID, if the state issued ID was free. Any charge for such would constitute a "poll tax", once again illegal.
    What will constitute acceptable forms of proof? Should be simple straight forward, but a state looking to disenfranchise,( they do exist,despite your protestations), can make it impossible,with bizarre requirements.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In Alabama, a state I.D. or driver’s license costs a few bucks but the voter I.D. is free. The idea that voter I.D. is racially charged and is somehow a barrier for minority voting is bogus because all anyone has to do is call the registrar’s office or even the mayor’s office and someone will come by in a van and make an I.D. for the person on the spot. Again, free of charge.

Dunno about the rest of the U.S. or in particular, the south but that’s the way it’s handled in the near epicenter of the old Confederacy.