Volunteers Rescue Young Coyote

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems I'm seeing more stories like this. I'm glad people are becoming more aware of the hazards that animals face in our modern society. Who knows how this coyote ended up with a piece of tube on its head, but it's good that people noticed, and took action. The animal was probably chasing prey that ran into the pipe, or seeking out food, but it's good to hear that the tube/pipe has been removed, and the coyote is recovering.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

People around here still shoot coyotes. In fact, there's a bounty on them in Aroostook County. The coyotes we have here are beautiful animals, not scraggly looking like the ones in Texas. If they were domesticated, they'd be thought of as beautiful dogs.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter has them occasionally in her yard but I'm always worried when I let Pickles out there.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It's kinda like the bugler who gets stuck in your chimney and has to be"rescued". He still goes straight to jail.;)

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, people still shoot coyotes, huh. But I think shooting coyotes have an economic purpose, may be considered a pest that prey on their livestock. It's a good notion to domesticate those beautiful coyotes and it would be wonderful to have one for a pet.

I'm glad that the slingshot and air rifle are now passe. In the olden days, shooting birds is one pastime of boys. But they shoot the birds not just for fun but for food. And that activity was not confined to the rural kids but also in the urban areas where there are birds. We live in a somewhat "forested" village with lots of trees and plenty of birds, a variety of birds that I see in the early morning. If those birds would be shot for fun or for food, surely they will go extinct soon.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's legal to shoot them but against the law to domesticate them. But yeah, Aroostook County is largely agricultural. Although the main crop is potatoes, farmers also keep chickens and other small birds and animals that could be hurt by them.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I know we have some here, as well as wolves, but I've never seen either. I guess I'll have to look for a video/audio clip of coyotes so I know what they sound like. I don't like the idea of any animal getting shot, but if it was attacking the cats, that's a different story. I'm glad this one survived, it looked pretty young and hopefully will end up in a good place.

9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

One night when I took the little dog out, there was something yodeling or who'ing off in the distance. To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was an owl or a coyote. Anyway, I got a little nervous. We are surrounded by woods on 3 sides here and have no close neighbors so, when it is dusk I am always on the lookout for critters that might be around. We are simply loaded with animals, most are large birds..but I know coyotes are not far away probably here...and bear could even be here..so I watch my back in the evening..they probably wouldn't attack a person..but a little dog would be like bait to them.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We live in town now; and so far we have not had any coyotes here; but we do have a good fence around the yard; so it would be very hard for a coyote to get inside of the fence. I see in Facebook posts where people who live a little further out than us , do have coyote problems though.
    When I lived in Idaho, we of course had not only coyotes, but bears, wolves, and cougars. The coyotes would come right up to the trailer where I lived, especially at night, but I had to make sure that I kept the little dogs close to me anytime that I was outside. Even so, I lost one dog to coyotes, and a couple cats that would come and stay in the barn disappeared. I kept my cats inside, and only allowed them as far out as the back porch, which was pretty much enclosed.
    Coyotes have become an urban problem in many cities over the last few years. This is not a situation where the city sprawls out and the coyotes have no place to go; but a deliberate movement into the heart of cities. Along with the coyotes have come opossums and raccoons, and some areas have more of these semi-wild creatures living in the city than the outlying rural areas have.
    There is no shortage of food for the coyotes (and other scavengers) in the city, and they really do not even have any natural enemies there. If a coyote comes too close to a rural home, the homeowner will probably shoot the coyote, or at least try to shoot it, scaring it away from that area.
    However, even the autorities can not do much except try to trap a coyote when it is on a busy street of a city. There are even stories of coyotes riding into town on the bus or commuter train !
    I also hate to see any kind of an animal suffer; so I am glad the the poor creature slowly dying with his head trapped in the pipe; but even so, if I saw a coyote trying to kill one of my animals, and I had a gun, I would not hesitate to shoot at it.
    image.jpeg

Chrissy Cross likes this.