Vitamin D A No Go For Arthritic Knees, Study Finds

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ruby Begonia, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Too bad about that. I take D because my dr told me I was low, not because of my knees. I don't have any problems there yet.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that this is still a debatable issue. When we do not get enough vitamin D, then we do not process calcium properly, and then our body "steals" the calcium out of the bones , leaving the bones in a soft, spongy condition.
    Rickets , which is a disease caused by lack of enough vitamin D, is the result, and although this was first found in children, it is also something that a lot of seniors suffer from.
    When we do not get the calcium in our bones that we need, then arthritis is one of the resulting problems that we have.
    A good example is @Ina I. Wonder . She has mentioned that she suffers from sun poisoning, and she is not able to go out in the sunshine and get the vitamin D that her body is craving. The result is that she now has severe arthritis, and crumbling bones.
    Vitamin D might not be a cure-all for every type of arthritis; but since it is important for so many other things , like helping to prevent illnesses and flu, as well as protecting our bones; I think that it is a very important supplement to take.

I do not do well in the sun (or the heat); so I try to get out in the sun when it is not right overhead, or when the sky is hazy. This way, I can still get the natural vitamin D, and not over do being in the sun.

http://www.parentgiving.com/elder-care/vitamin-d-deficiency-a-common-risk-factor-for-seniors/

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Ruby,

I've also been told to take D because of "lack of sunshine" and maybe the doc said something else too. But I eat as much nutrition as I can without supplements. I've heard (only heard) from folks that we can get as much nutrients as we need without supplementing. To each his own decision though.

I find, the best thing for pain/aching of what has been diagnosed on me as "a little arthritis", to be moving my body. Whatever it is, move my body, don't be sedentary. That is what I am finding out for myself. I eat good, and if nothing else, I will walk, even just around the apt. complex. My feet hurt so bad when I would get up in the a.m., that I would walk with great care. I mean, bent over, ooching and ouching. That is 100% gone since I started moving around more.

I am not surprised their testing is coming back negative, but too, I always think of who they are testing, and what those people do besides take the D.

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to have arthritic knees. They are 100% better now. I don't know why...if what I do now is the reason for having no symptoms or not but this is what I do differently now. I swim or walk 5X a week. I take D3, B-12, and a Complete Omega (3,6,& 9). I don't take Calcium…it's controversial for the moment (studies vary so I'm waiting).

Every morning, before I eat breakfast, I have 1/2 cup of Steamed Spinach mixed with 1 Tbsp Coursely Ground Flaxseed and 1 tsp of Chia seeds (and I season it with a little onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and fresh ground pepper). The chia seeds expand in the stomach which gives a full feeling plus adds nutrition and fiber. The Flaxseed adds fiber, protein, B-1, phosphorous, magnesium, manganese, and other minerals,. I started doing this when I stopped having Kale everyday (recently). The Kale was working for me but I read that you shouldn't it it raw and NOT everyday or it could have serious side affects…go figure.

The rest of the day I'm eliminating sugar :rolleyes: and no more than 20 (and no less than 17) carbs a day. I don't count the 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup blueberries because they're just too important to eliminate (banana has a lot of potassium that might be a big help with the knees…i know it gets rid of leg cramps). Also, I do leg-foot-stretches and knee bends before I get out of bed in the morning.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I eat a lot of protein now…spanish omelet in the morning, meat and greens at lunch, meat and greens at dinner or I sometimes skip dinner because I've had a late breakfast and late lunch. The fact that I lost some weight might also be a factor in my knee improvement.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Denise Evans and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the sun, and it's one thing in abundance down in Houston. I'll spend one or two hours or more, outside everyday most of the year. Usually working, cleaning, mowing, raking the yard. But will spend time just reading outside too.
    I've never taken vitamin D supplements, or calcium.

Had some bad knee pain for a while and couldn't get on my stationary bike like I wanted to everyday. It affected my walking in general. .. I tried a copper knee wrap for a few months, along with MSM. The pain totally went away.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Are you in the sun without sunscreen, Bonnie?

I've read that you can get enough vitamin D by being in the sun about 20 mins a day but no sunscreen which is not a good idea. Living in Fresno I would have thought I get enough sun but bloodwork showed I was low.

Denise Evans and Ruby Begonia like this.
  8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I read that too Chrissy…I thought it was 10 minutes a day/no sunscreen though. Close enough :) Also, I think a lot of people are low in vitamin D…my bloodwork a while back showed I was too.

Interesting to note: My mother is 91 and was born in Ft Lauderdale FL. She lived near the beach and was there everyday…no sunscreen. Hold on, what you're thinking is not my point :) I know there are holes in the ozone layer now that weren't there before but here's my point; she started having pre-cancerous spots removed about 10 years ago and went ballistic covering herself up outside and staying in a lot. She even ordered a special protective shirt to wear that blocks the sun. The doctor told her that if she develops any skin cancer it is more than likely going to be the result of sunburning as a child and not anything she's doing now. She's still careful and wears sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses but she feels more relaxed to enjoy the outdoors now.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

A member of this forum who will remain nameless for now, unless she comes on here and tells her story herself, was just telling me the same thing today @Lara Moss . She lives in a hot country and has had lots of pre-cancerous spots removed over the years and even tho' she covers up with SS and a hat when she is in the sun, her doctor told her the same thing as your mum , that the damage would have been done in childhood!!

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

While discussing my last labs report (urine/blood), my VA doctor recommended that I start taking a D3 Supplement. Wife figured she could use the extra D3 as well. We both get the D3 from a vitamin we take, but it's not enough. So, we each take a 1000 IU (one gel cap) each morning.

I ordered two bottles of pure Rose Hips (not Vitamin C w/Rose Hips powder), that I'm about to start taking. Read numerous websites where people said that the Supplement really helped with their arthritis pain........which both of us get. My Ortho Surgeon has already told me that I have some arthritis in my left shoulder that I had a rotator cuff surgery on last March. Also get some arthritis pain sometimes in both my right hip replacement, done in 2005, and my left ankle surgery, done in 1988. Currently taking Glucosamine w/Sulfate, but read that Rose Hips is much better. Guess we'll see.

Denise is 100% right. People in our age bracket have to, some way, get some type of exercise daily to keep the "older" body going and not have as much pain. But, for whatever reasons we have that we can't/don't get much exercise, and some of us have very good reasons, we pretty much have to rely on vitamin supplements to help us along. I know wife and I get much more exercise during the Spring/Summer months here than we do during the winter months.

What I want to know is, when does a person really know if a Supplement is working? Guess it's just a "wait and see" thing.

11. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a note on the kale, my doctor told me the same thing a year ago, people on the kale bandwagon were having reactions and not to eat it everyday, but I can't remember what the bad reaction was. Maybe it was memory loss!

Denise Evans and Lara Moss like this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Google "no proof that any supplements work" and you will find a whole page of reputable sources that say there is no evidence that supplements help you and should be avoided…consumer reports, usa today, mother earth, I heard a doctor interviewed a few days ago on the Good Morning Show (by Gayle,,,Oprah's friend) and he said the same thing…no evidence that supplements have any benefit.

BUT, Smithsonian Magazine said they do work but it heavily depends on what Form they come in….however, that article was dated 2014. Let's just say it's controversial at the moment. Studies change constantly because researchers need a job to do :D

@Ruby Begonia , if I remember correctly, the worst case scenario for too much kale is death :oops:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will let you know @Cody Fousnaugh after my next blood test if the 2,000mgs of Vitamin D helped or not.

I was low on my last test and that's when I started taking the D.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Only thing is, how would our health be if we didn't take vitamins and/or supplements? A lot of people don't eat right and really don't want to. We like the occasional Big Mac, pizza, Mexican dinner, Rib Eye steak, Low Salt Chips and Bud Light or Margarita. Some folks would definitely say that we sure don't eat right, but that's their opinion. For us, we'll take the vitamin and supplements and a couple of prescriptions and eat what we like.
    I had a doctor, a few years ago, tell me that the vitamin I take isn't doing a thing for me, that I'm just pi**ing it out everyday. Well, his comment went in one ear and out the other!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I keep it simple because it gets confusing. I read if you take this then don't take that and similar confusing contradictions. I'm blonde and get confused easily. :)

Ruby Begonia and Denise Evans like this.