Vitamin C -- How Much Should You Take?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chrissy Cross, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL!

3. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I would think that one multi-vitamin for older people and a healthy diet should be enough.

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

This is the point I reached, too... it *is* always changing. We've all gone through the "eggs are good/eggs are bad", "liver is the best food you can eat / liver will kill you", "coffee is unhealthy / coffee is healthy" things and... I don't really listen to much of it any more.

And any food plan that totally cuts anything out is probably a fad. We need some fats, we need some carbs... sugar's debatable, but what would life be without sugar?! :eek:

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Mari North and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Babs, I have a drs appt in April and will ask the dr exactly what I should be taking. I think I had a slight increase in calcium in my bloodwork last time. Dr said it was very slight. But if it continues she wants to check my parathyroid.

Anyway, April I start medicare and dr said I will be getting a wellness test and I see this as the beginning of the end. :)

7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I agree! They count on the elderly who grasp at anything to extend life.

Mari North and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Probably? I don't agree. In fact, it could be the supplement companies and the "natural" supplement companies who want you to keep buying from them. I don't trust some of herbal supplements, it's hard to know just how much of the herb is actually in the pill.

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Supplements are a BIG business.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And then again @Ruby Begonia...it could be both. Here's the thing. I believe that both supplements and medicines can be helpful when they are needed. With the "poor nutrition wise" foods in super markets and our food supply also loaded with chemicals, preservatives, antibiotics, etc. It is a fact that unless we are growing and raising our own organic foods, and raising our own meat, and seafood, etc. without all the "stuff" in the ones we purchase...we are ingesting food that is nutrient deficient. On top of that as we age we aren't able to process our nutrients as well and many of us eat a whole lot less than we used too...and that often means a whole lot less of the healthy foods we need to keep our bodies healthy and strong too. These things and added stress and pollution in the air we breathe, etc. wreck havoc on our bodies and minds. Vitamins and minerals are nature's way of keeping our bodies healthy just as exercise helps to keep our bodies fit. Although there might have been a time when we could get all those vitamins and minerals in our food supply...that is, for the most part not true anymore. So I believe some supplementation is not only a good idea but a necessary one too. It's a far better choice than having to take a drug which you might have never needed in the first place if your nutrition had been adequate to begin with. When possible it is great to get all your vitamins and minerals from what you eat....but it is highly unlikely in many cases that this is what is happening today.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes they are @ Chrissy Page. But the drug business is a much bigger one with the potential to do a lot more damage to our bodies than vitamins and minerals.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not talking about the basic vitamins, I'm talking about all those other supplements that help you lose weight, aid this or that. The ones that are always on the side of my Facebook page or even in my feed sometimes.

The ones Dr. Oz is always linked with.

Ruby Begonia and Babs Hunt like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

A lot of those could be just as bad for you as prescription drugs @Chrissy Page.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thought I had replied to this Thread, but guess not. Ok, instead of taking a Vitamin C supplement, I got two bottles of pure Rose Hips capsules (500mg ea). Both of us are having some arthritis pain now and then and I read that Rose Hips is very good in reducing that kind of pain. Before getting the Rose Hips, I got a bottle of Vitamin C w/Rose Hips powder, but found out there was very little powder in it. Also read that Rose Hips is better than the Glucosamine Sulfate Supplement I've been taking.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Rose Hips....another thing to think about. Some vitamin C has that I've noticed. I just bought plain C this time.

Ruby Begonia likes this.