Vitamin C -- How Much Should You Take?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chrissy Cross, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

You can take 1,000mg per hour and it will not hurt you and if you start getting loose stoles cut back.
    The medical system will always warn you about taking too much. Nobody has died from taking vitamin or essential minerals. Thousands of people die each year from properly prescribed drugs.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I could use loose stools. :)

Frank Sanoica and Martin Alonzo like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Scurvy is Ricketts? Sailors often had the deficiency, several hundred years ago, if I recall history right.

Some time back, a well-known doctor was quoted as believing mega-doses of "C" were useful in warding off a coming viral infection, like the common cold.

Frank

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sailors had scurvy, @Frank Sanoica . They were not able to eat fresh fruit or vegetables that would have been a good source of the vitamin , and they were often at sea for many months.
    Eventually they started taking lemons and limes along, since they could keep far better than most other fruits did. This is where the nickname of "Limey " comes from, since sailors carried them on the ships once they learned what caused the scurvy symptoms .

Rickets is a totally different disease, although it is also caused by a vitamin deficiency. Rickets is caused by a vitamin D deficiency, which is also known as the sunshine vitamin. It affect the bones, and can also be caused by calcium deficiency .
    People who do not go out in the sunshine can be very low in the natural Vitamin D, and their bones are usually in very poor condition.
    When you do not get enough Vitamin D, your body cannot use calcium properly, and it then pulls the calcium out of your bones, leaving them soft and crumbly.
    Here is an article that explains how it all works.

http://www.healthline.com/health/rickets#Overview1

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Ah, Yvonne, thank you for pointing out my error of memory! Vitamin D is indeed very important. My excuse would be, I told'ya my memory was failing!Ha!
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually take 1,000 mg of Vit C daily. I buy buffered so it doesn't hurt my stomach.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Linda, I was surprised at all the low doses mentioned considering the lowest dose I saw was 100mg.

True that I just went to Walgreens and it was a spur of the moment purchase thinking that maybe I need more C.

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Page: It should not hurt to take "C" in most dose sizes generally available, especially if you feel you do not consume much Vitamin C-containing foods. Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Because probably it is the Food and Drug Administration that is telling you we only need 75mgs. They don't want you to have what's good for you naturally...they want you to have to buy your health and well being from Drug Companies...not keep your body healthy from vitamins and whole foods. :)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Babs Hunt : Now, Now! Questioning the sincerity and purpose of intent of those we enlist and trust to make decisions for us all, which they feel we cannot do ourselves? :rolleyes:
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Today I can't remember if I took my C and D, all the talk on the forum and now I can't remember.:(

It's all the kale I've eaten in the past, memory loss. :)

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek: There's goes my inquiring mind again! I just can't control it from spouting the truth! th (8).jpg

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Information concerning our health has become overwhelming. This includes both sides of the aisle and it's forever constantly changing. I barely even listen anymore. I've made it this far and I've tried just about everything and every way. Lately I've given up...I'm eating what I want and taking D and C.

The supplement companies especially the diet ones really make me angry. Use every trick in the book and lie in advertising.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Ruby Begonia and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't blame you one bit @Chrissy Page! You might want to consider adding some Calcium to your Vitamin D. Since women of our maturity tend to need extra to keep our bones strong and healthy.:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was awhile ago and then read something that made me stop taking it.