Vitamin C -- How Much Should You Take?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chrissy Cross, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I decided to buy some vitamin C because since I really don't eat any fruit and I'm not sure how much I'm getting in some of the other foods I do eat, I felt maybe I need to take it.

I just bought a big container of 500mgs since that was the cheapest. I already took 2.

Do any of you take it as a supplement and if so, how many mgs.?

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/#h2

I think it's 75 mg for adults. I haven't read the link yet. I take 500 every few days, hoping to prevent colds.

yes, I looked, 75 but look at this:
    If you smoke, add 35 mg to the above values to calculate your total daily recommended amount.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Only 75? I remember reading when I smoked that each cigarette took 100 mgs out of your system, wonder if there was any truth to that?

I looked at the link and looks like yes only about 75 mgs....why do they sell 1,000 mgs doses then?

Babs Hunt and Ruby Begonia like this.
  4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

something called Upper Limits

The upper limits for vitamin C are listed below:

Life Stage Upper Limit
    Birth to 12 months Not established
    Children 1–3 years 400 mg
    Children 4–8 years 650 mg
    Children 9–13 years 1,200 mg
    Teens 14–18 years 1,800 mg
    Adults 2,000 mg

5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

The RDA says 75-90 milligrams. BUT it's controversial because one of the major researchers suggests 500 mg for the greatest health benefits. Actually that doc researcher says 500 PLUS four or five veggies and fruits a day. No way I could ever eat that many fruits and veggies.

I *would* ask your own doc before going with the 500, though, @Chrissy Page ... just because there's such a great difference. Plus I know that if too much of many of the vitamins is taken at a time and not spread out, it doesn't even absorb, but rather... uh... "leaves the body" :oops: without additional benefit than a lower amount.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Good thing I checked, I was going to take 2,000 mgs. :)

Vitamins and supplements are complicated.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

From past discussions with folks who unfailingly convinced everyone (me included), that they were right, one guy who smoked told me he was aware that "C" is thrown from the body unused, just as said above. Also recall 60 mg or so minimum daily adult requirement. That's an average based on lots of factors maybe not coming into play with all of us. Read long ago that the body eliminates excess C easily, so yielded to some obscure medical column, and we take 500mg once daily.

Or, you can eat carefully, if taking supplements is "unnatural" for you, and enjoy about 4 ounces of delicious liver and onions which will give you 10 times the daily adult requirement! :eek:
    Frank

8. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah... I guess we can just process a certain amount of some of them. The person who taught me all this has been a top physician in D.C. for a lot of years, and he happens to be my best friend on the planet... it's nice to have all this vitamin data in my head or at least just a question away to find out. :) Of course then there's the scary medical stuff I have to hear, too, and for that I try my best to tune out. :D

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was at walgreens and I don't even think I saw smaller than 100mgs. Saw 500mgs and 1000mgs.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Here we go again do we do what they recommend or do research. Humans do not make vitamin C that is why it is called an essential vitamin but some animals do so how much does an animal the same size as us make in a day would be a smart idea to know. The recommended is 60mgs and an animal the same size as us makes 1300mgs a day and when stressed make more.
    It is your dissension but I take over 2,000 times more than they recommend

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So how much do you actually take and isn't your body just eliminating the excess?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I would rather pee out a little than have all the terrible ailment that come along with a deficiency disease

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just read the whole article Ruby posted and it says that now days most Americans aren't deficient in Vitamin C.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The MDR (minimum daily requirement) is the amount that will keep a person from coming down with scurvy and having all of the symptoms .
    There are , of course, variables to even that amount, since when we are under stress, we use more of it. That is the amount that is VITAL before you show all of the symptoms of scurvy. Of course, you can be partially deficient, and only show a few of the symptoms, and still be considered fine by the MDR requirements.

I take about 1,000mg per day, usually in 2 doses. When I am under any kind of stress, or think I might be getting sick, or get an infected tooth (or any infection, for that matter), then I take that 1,000mg every four hours around the clock, unless sleeping.
    It is failrly easy to tell if you are using it or not; since it will turn your urine yellow if it is not being used by your body.
    If it doesn't do that, then I keep taking the extra dose as long as I need it.

Vitamin C also helps with rheumatoid arthritis, since it fights inflammation; so if I get stove up with that during a weather change or other reason; then I also take vitamin C.
    Here is a link to an article about vitamin C deficiency symptoms, so you can tell whether you need more or not.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038379_vitamin_C_deficiency_symptoms_scurvy.html#

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well, I'll watch my pee which is very light in color so I would notice a change.