Visit By a Strange Looking Duck!

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Richard Paradon, May 5, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday morning, while I opened the back door, I noticed that there was a duck downstairs. At first I thought that perhaps my neighbor bought it but then I remembered that she was in the jungle visiting her family. It was a strange looking duck but looked happy enough. When I tried to establish communication (no, I don’t normally talk to ducks) it did not seems like it was scared or hurt.

After I finished my coffee, I looked downstairs for it, but I guess he decided to fly off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

This bird is a Muscovy duck. http://www.birdinginformation.com/birds/ducks/muskovy-duck/
    In the wild the species is found in Central and South America but it has been domesticated and is farmed around the world for meat.

Their markings can vary but they are mostly black and white. I think the one in your photos is a male, because it has a prominent red knob above its beak. The female has the same red skin around the face, but with less of a knob.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, @Ruth Belena, you really are a great resource. Is bird watching one of your hobbies?? If so, tell us more about some interesting birds.

I was going to say that it looked like a cross between a duck and a pigeon!! There are some truly strange looking creatures in this big world of ours.

Thanks @Richard Paradon, for sharing the photos. Maybe he will come back, as he seems comfortable around people. I'm sure a little bread or crackers would give you a new best friend. As for talking to him, sometimes animals can be the best listeners - they always agree with you and never talk back. But they do have a way of looking at you, that makes you examine your thoughts and cuts through all the BS!! ;)

4. Richard Paradon

Registered

@Ruth Belena Thanks for the great site!
    @Mal Campbell I wish he would come back. It would be cool to have hanging around my balcony!

From the site: "Muscovy ducks are highly intelligent; they are also very aggressive." This guy was so laid back but again he probably knew that I was not stupid enough to try to climb downstairs!

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd never seen Muscovy Ducks until I moved here to Texas. They're pretty unusual looking, and some are not quite as pretty as that one, to put it nicely. I see them here on my street when it's rained a lot, but other than that, there aren't too many ducks here on the streets in my neighborhood.

6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This is an unusual looking Duck but its also quite beautiful. I have never seen a duck with those types of black feathers in the back streaking through. It gives the bird a unique look. I have never heard of a Muscovy Duck, I just thought ducks were ducks, I didn't know there different types that is till now. Anyway, thank you to the OP for sharing these photos the bird is quite uinique and beautiful to look at.

7. Richard Paradon

Registered

He was beautiful. If it were not for his webbed feet I would have not known he was a duck.

8. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

I only counted 4971 [​IMG]

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

Now, Val, that is what ducks are supposed to look like!

10. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Found a duck similar to yours (at 2.08 ) :)

11. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Very interesting duck all the way from central america.