Violence In Movies, The Kind I Like And The Kind I Don't

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

If you measure intelligence from how often a person gets what they need or want, I'm a moron.

2. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'm signing off. I'm sure I'll regret many of the things I said, but it's too late now. Thanks for the talk.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Registered

See, this is the stuff that would keep me up at night, if I weren't already up at night from other causes. 'Just are' as opposed to a universal whole designed by an intelligent mind.
    I only know this. Better minds than ours have pondered this question for 3000 years. Anybody wanta bet on us solving it tonight?

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't at all mind violence in movies; serial killer movies are even okay with me. I wouldn't say I like the quality of movies that I'm seeing now, however.

After watching YouTube stuff for a few months, I've started to catch up on movies that I haven't seen on Netflix and Hulu, and what I'm seeing appears to be in two extremes -- either all action and very little character development or plot, or the story is so complex or convoluted that it's too hard to follow without giving full dedication of my time to the movie. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether there is no plot or whether I wasn't paying enough attention. I've cut out on more than half of the movies I've started to watch before a half hour was up.

There's a lot of violence, though, and some of the almost superhuman physical stuff is hard to swallow, particularly when they have people holding up a liquor store who can fight like a ninja warrior.

5. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't mind violence in movies or on TV as long as I don't have to see blood and guts. The Godfather series of movies had a lot of violence but they never showed too much blood (except for when Sonny got machine gunned at the toll booth). And the TV show Criminal Minds is quite violent but, again, the violence is implied most of the time and not shown. For the record, I can't even watch when someone is getting a shot. I have to turn my head! :rolleyes:

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Movies with gratuitous sex and violence are junk food for the mind...and it's a big market.