Vimeo

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, May 7, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Google, which owns YouTube, has (along with Facebook and, to a slightly lesser extent, Twitter) been stepping up their censorship of opinions opposing the progressive viewpoint of their owners and staff. As private companies, this is their right, but we've all seen that this frequently results in the abrupt disappearance of videos that have been shared by members in posts, here.

Although I have been a member for a while, I have not been using Vimeo, but I am told that they do not do this, or perhaps they do this to a lesser extent than YouTube. So, if you want a video that you'd like to share to stick around longer, see if it's available on Vimeo instead, as the forum will accept Vimeo embeds.

Probably, Vimeo is less intrusive into content because they are hoping to sell you one of several levels of premium memberships, which would be worthwhile only if you are producing videos.

I have not looked closely because this is the last day of my work week and I need to get some stuff done, but it may well be that people use YouTube for the same reason that people use Facebook, which is because there is more there.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting.