Video Doorbells

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

image.jpg I'm actually hearing a lot about this in our neighborhood watch app. Seems we have people ringing bells to see if anyone is home. That worries me because I'm gone a lot. Here is the letter the officer that is in our neighborhood watch sent out. I also looked them up on YouTube for reviews etc.
    Does anybody know anything about them?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know if this is the same thing or different? Now I'm confused. :(

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this is one of the things that I have heard of on TV. This is just one of the choices that we may be able to use in the future to stay safe in our homes. I simply don't think it is warranted here as people rarely even venture up here, but when I move, I will have to consider getting something like this. It may lead to greater peace of mind. I think it is just one of the options that we could use to stay safe.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I gather, this video doorbell is like a peephole on the door. I hope I am right on my understanding. We probably need that because when we are in the bedroom, we couldn't see the person on the gate. We have to go down and go to the terrace just to see who was pressing on the door bell. However, it is not much of necessity for now since we have 2 housemaids who can do that chore of checking on the gate. I'd say that's a good invention especially for those with big houses.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I also saw this product advertised on TV. A lady was in her garden and used her phone, I think, to see who was ringing the doorbell. Maybe there is more than just the doorbell feature, an app maybe?

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have a peephole, @Corie Henson. This is more for when your not at home also.

It also takes pictures of who rang your doorbell etc.

The thing here is they'll ring your doorbell then if nobody answers they feel more comfortable in breaking in...with this you can be away and answer your door with your iphone and say your busy and can't answer the door now.

Something I have to think about and research more....there really hasn't been any break ins yet but have been reading about strange people in the neighborhood...and a few car break ins.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

Ring is the new 'hot' item and besides doorbells, they're coming out with lots of other camera products for the home. One thing to remember is that you need to have your internet on all the time. There is also a yearly subscription to sore the data.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mine is on all the time. I want something simple that I can install and also cheap. I do have a security system but I like the idea of seeing what's going on through my iPhone.

When I leave for a trip I tell my neighbor to keep an eye on my house but I'm sure they're not up all night watching my house. :)

And although it's just material things that would be stolen and not my life while I'm away, it would still be a shock and I'd be traumatized to arrive home and see my home in shambles.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page Since you already have an alarm system, you could check into this and then contact your alarm company and see what they can provide that might be comparable. You should be able to monitor your alarm system via your smart phone. It may require installing a few more things, but if you're going to have this or something similar installed anyway, it might be good to stick with the one company, particularly if there's an ongoing cost involved, so it's just one bill, rather than two.

My grandmother, when she became older, lived in senior housing, and one channel on her TV was of the lobby, so people could see who was coming and going, and perform some function to let people in when they buzzed. I thought it was the coolest thing, probably because I lived on the third and second floors, and had to trudge down the stairs to see who was there.

I have a very sophisticated technique here for seeing who's at the door. I sneak over to the top of the stairs to see if I recognize the person. It's not a good idea to knock and then break in the back door if no one answers here, because most of us are home, but don't answer our doors to strangers. We are almost all armed, too, which is why it's a bad idea. Soliciting isn't supposed to be allowed here, but we do occasionally make exceptions, for discounts on cable service, etc.

I don't have an alarm system, but if I lived in an area where burglars would be more apt to break in, and I could afford it, I would probably get one. I really like the idea of this, especially if I didn't have a way of seeing who was at the door, especially if it's inexpensive. I also like that it takes a picture of the person at the door. That is a good thing, just in case there is an issue, and the police need that for identification.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I probably should call ADT, my system is outdated anyway...through my phone line.

I have a peephole but I can't see crap in it. When I'm home Pickles barks like crazy and I don't open the door anyway because it's just people trying to sell something. I tell them to leave their card because I can't open the door because of my dog.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think they have newer, updated system that don't even require holes in the walls, and operate off of your cell phone. Some here use ADT, I believe, and others use Xfinity. By the way, I don't know if you're aware, but I think you can get a discount on your homeowner's insurance if you have an alarm system. If you don't already get that, you could check into it to save some money, and if you already do get the discount, if you upgrade to a video system, maybe you can save even more money on insurance.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My daughter pays my house insurance but I've never asked if she's mentioned I have a security system or not.

I pay $50 for my ADT and I'm hearing that they just have to cut my telephone line to disable my system. I e gotten calls to upgrade but haven't really thought about it til I started reading the door bell ringing in my area.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I see. It is like the CCTV system that was being offered to us which was very expensive so we did not pursue the idea. The cctv can be monitored using the cell phone via the internet. There is a website where the video of the cctv goes that you can access wherever you are as long as there is internet access. But maybe this CCTV thing is getting to be a necessity because so many things can happen when you are not at home.

14. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I changed all my locks when I saw this

15. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

and those package's delivery's leave at your front door are easy targets.

Diane Lane likes this.