Very Early Kid's Television

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone else old enough to remember? It would be 25+ years later, after early commiserations on "Space", Flying Saucers, Rockets, Ray Guns, and so on, that a human would set foot on the Moon!

[​IMG]

"Captain Video and His Video Rangers is an American science fiction television series, which was aired on the DuMont Television Network, and was the first series of its kind on American television.

The series aired between June 27, 1949, and April 1, 1955, originally Monday through Saturday at 7 p.m. ET, and then Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. ET."

"All told, researcher Alan Morton estimates there were a total of 1,537 episodes (counting the 20 Saturday morning episodes), although only 4 or 5 of them still exist."

[​IMG]
    Don Hastings (left) and Al Hodge (right)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Video_and_His_Video_Rangers

Ike Willis and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

My early memories of a series would have been Lost in Space. The Robinson family a five year year mission to explore distant planets. Aired between 1965-1968. And of course Thunderbirds.

I was fascinated with the robot and the thought of space travel. After it finished airing we had the magnificent Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon. Everyone was glued to the TV.

lost-in-space-tv-show.jpg

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh yeah, I was a big Lost in Space Fan too, along with The Martian with Ray Ralston. There were a lot of good TV shows in the 60's like Gilligans Island, The Wild Wild West and others. In fact, talking about Lost in Space, my roommate used to have some kind of alarm on his phone that said "Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson" It was really pretty funny. This show was one of the show that had a big impact on people I think. I think it was on Sunday Nights.

Honey Gee and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Get me one of those phones @K E Gordon :)

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Dr. Smith was hilarious.

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross and Honey Gee like this.
  6. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. First t.v. show I ever watched was Romper Room, but by the time I reached Kindergarten and first grade my favorites were Mr. Ed and a game show called You Don't Say.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I laugh now remembering our first TV 1949-1950 all the children in the neighbourhood would come watch it because we had the first TV on the street. The parents would call for the children to go home for supper. One time one of the children asked my father if he could please turn off the TV while he went home from supper and he would return to see the last of the show. Not much of an idea of how TV works.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Its Howdy Doody Time! :)
    250px-Buffalo_Bob_Smith_and_Howdy_Doody.jpg

10. Maybe the child grew up to invent the VCR :p

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

I really did try to be a Do-Bee...but she never called my name when she looked in her 'Magic Mirror'!

Janice Martin likes this.