Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, May 23, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey Chrissy...128-130 is a nice trim weight, provided you're not under 5 feet tall!
    Hal

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm 5'4". I know it's a nice trim weight, that's why I try very hard to maintain it. :)

Besides, that's where I'm comfortable.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I do also with one exception which is the "professional" part. I choose to call all of them, no matter how well educated they are or how long they have been doctors, practitioners for indeed, that is what they truly are.
    Each patient they see is another chance to advance their ability to practice and learn from those individuals the complexities of the human body and brain.

The medical field is so sectionalized and specialized that an everyday primary health care doctor must refer his patients to another doctor for an analysis based on a singular hypothesis and unfortunately, diet and nutrition are not the main focuses of most everyday doctors. They may speculate, post theories and even tell us what they eat and drink but their knowledge is so limited that just about the only thing that gets them by on their own merit is that they can read the test results of a blood panel.

When I was so ill a number of years ago, I was limited to x amount of protein and x amount of liquid per day so my VA doctor had me see a nutritionist who explained what I could and could not eat and drink. My PHC doctor knew What the problem was and the probable recourses but didn't know how to go about things in regard to my diet.
    Notably, the nutritionist would have preferred me eat no meat at all and concentrate on a vegetarian diet at least temporarily because meats have too much protein compared to a vegetable diet.
    I was limited to 30 grams of protein a day and a 3 oz piece of round steak has nearly all of that in one sitting so it made perfect sense to address the problem from the stance of a vegetarian.
    I do probably digress...…….

Bottom line is that because I do definitely recognize that being a doctor means that he or she is practicing medicine and has no profound over the board panacea which fits all patients, I never really expect a whole lot from them much less than a perfect idea of what a diet should consist of for each patient.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a friend of mine was diagnosis with pancreatic cancer he had skin cancer before. After hearing this death sentence in the medical system. He changed his diet and went on an alkalizing diet. That was 7 years ago. He is total health and happy now. I think the medical system has one survivors of pancreatic cancer. You can check out what I am saying. I will not give you his name but with some effort you can find out who I am talking about. He wrote a cruising guide for the Caribbean and he lives in the Puerto Plata Dominican Republic

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

My daughter Tania is 45 and has been a Vegetarian for 20 years. She seems healthy and my 3 Grandkids seem healthy too! (One is a 15-year-old track Star.)
    Hal 020.JPG

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Doctors lean very little about diet or medications in med school. Most of what they know is furnished by Drug Salesmen for pharmaceutical Companies. Part of their job is to educate doctors. Doctors must go through a life long learning curve on diet unless they make that a specified study after med school. When you visit a doctor you never know if this aguy knows his biswacks about anything or if he flunked out on that specific course.. And the medical field covers forits own.

Frank Sanoica and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My baby sister who is 52 has been a vegetarian since childhood, she just doesn't like meat. It's not a health or ethical reason ...she just has a thing with its texture etc.

She won't even touch raw meat....her hubby has to do the prepping if he wants meat for dinner.

My sister in law from the UK is also a vegetarian...no particular reason either except that she doesn't like the taste of meat.

Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Pancreatic is a tough one, mainly because by the time there are symptoms it's too late. I think the actress Charlotte Rae survived it.

If I ever get cancer I'm going for everything that includes the chemo, surgery and diet.

Too many have gone the alternative route and died...

Key to surviving cancer is early diagnosis in my opinion.

But, everybody does what they feel is right....I couldn't just do diet.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Like a certain percentage of people do......
    Frank

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

But Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze succumbed to it. It is very difficult to treat, but at one time most cancers were fatal; now, not so much.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep @Don Alaska ...my biggest cancer fear is pancreatic.

Some cancers have become very treatable even in later stages but it's still best to get an early diagnosis.

And chemo has come along way also...even when my husband had a round in the 1990's it was as bad as the chemo I grew up reading about.

Lots of meds to help with side effects....

And the chemos vary depending on the cancer...I always thought the one my husband had wasn't as bad as the one I saw the breast or ovarian cancer ladies getting.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think a lot is known about breast cancer now, since it seems to have been an area of concentration in recent years. The chemo is related to the genetics and the receptors involved. NIH had a program under development at one time for tracking individual tumors. I don't know where that has gone recently, or if it is still ongoing, but if it worked out, it would be a Godsend to cancer survivors.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Speaking of animals mindlessly walking to their deaths at the slaughterhouse, swine are the only livestock who know that they're going to die and will protest.
    Hal

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sad...but I don't really eat any pork anyway.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Many famous (and infamous) people were Vegetarians, Der Fuhrer among them.

Hal