Vacation Abroad - Staying With A Relative

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Corie Henson, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When we go to Hongkong, we used to stay with my nephew in his condo. That went on for several years (we travel to Hongkong every year). But when he moved to a small room in the city, we booked in a hotel for this year's visit to Hongkong. My nephew is close to me like we are pals so no problem.

But in the US, it's a different story. All my husband's siblings are there - his brother in California and his 2 sisters in Vegas. But the thought of vacationing in the US and staying with my in-laws did not enter our minds. And to think that I also have lots of relatives there. They say that Filipinos in the US have a different culture. They would offer you a place today but be sure to leave by tomorrow otherwise they will be folding the welcome mat in your face. I wonder why Filipinos in the US have a different attitude regarding visiting relatives.

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no idea, Corie. My family always wants me to visit and I've been at various family members homes for usually a whole month at a time.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

When my older boys and wives would visit, it was them staying at a motel, and the grandchildren would stay with me. I have small living quarters, but if they all wanted to stay with me they could pitch a tent on the patio. It has a privacy fence all around it. That is what's nice about having your own property, and not being in a 55+ trailer park.They wouldn't allow my grandchildren anyway. I had checked when looking at trailers and parks. It would have to be approved. We would all eat out a few times. They could stay as long as they wanted with me.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I just got back from a stay with relatives. We stayed with my parents for a couple of days when we went up there for their 60th anniversary. That was pleasant. We tourned aroud Ohio fo a while as well, and stayed with my sister on the way back, as it was on the way. It is defintely cheaper to stay with family, and less tiring than trying to drive all the way through. I just think that I would not want to make a steady diet of it though. It is kind of taxing for people who have to work for a living.