Use Of A Mask

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have brought up before that the effectiveness of facial masks was disproven during the H1N1 outbreak in (I think) 2014. I had more access to data then, which I have lost since retirement. As far as I know, that data was not made public but wasn't really classified.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The debate will go on forever about the effectiveness of masks.

Friends of ours have worn masks every time they went outside the house since the pandemic, however their grandson got married just before Christmas where they didn’t have masks ….and they contracted Covid as did the mother of the bride who came from Brisbane on the plane 2.000 Km away so it’s suspected she already had covid or caught it on the plane.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I suspect that N95 (maybe not KN95) supplied to trained people who have been fit-tested for a specific mask style has some effectiveness for respiratory virus transmission, but that does not apply to the average person using (and re-using) non-certified mask for which they have not been trained and tested. I know that it is not generally accepted that so-called "free viruses" exist, I still have it in my mind that the non-existence is only theoretical and has not been confirmed by widespread testing, and if such things exist no filtration methodology currently used would eliminate them.

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

I will have to look to see if I can find the online site I purchased the lining in put in the masks I made
    they CLAIMED the waterproof lining was certified for mask use ….I was mmmm at the time but
    who knows ? if it’s sales talk ….the lining I used is sorta like the outside thin bits of the surgical masks …not the N95 masks which I have as well , we only use our masks once and they go into a zip lock bag to be tipped into a bucket of water with antibacterial when we get back from shopping or being out on business
    @Don Alaska

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

Some of the dozens and dozens of masks I made …..and the lining I used ( 2 layers in each mask )
    and most are made using quilting fabric which in many cases is tighter woven fabric ( not always) we are getting some fairly trashy fabric “dumped” in Aust at top $$$$ a mtr

Unlike surgical masks mine sit close to our face …not a big gap down the sides like the common S. Mask

E12CCB5E-7C68-49F6-AC74-09E8AA82FFB8.jpeg

6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it was OSHA or EPA that had published test results of various masks well before COVID became a thing. I can try to dig up the info again but basically, home made cloth masks were only about 40-60% effective. N95 masks were the best face masks IF they were new and unused, meeting their 95% filtering efficiency. Neither of them protect the eyes though. The eyes are warm, moist, exposed surfaces and lacrimal fluids drain right into the sinuses. Lacrimal fluid contains some antibacterial compounds but not anti-virals as far as I know.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

THousand wore masks, lost their jobs, lost their freedom to move around, lost their trust of authorities if they had any,
    and they got covid / or rather were diagnosed with covid, and many died of something. All because they wore masks that did not protect them.

If there even is a virus, it doesn't care about the gaps. It just goes right on thru the masks. And other things grow in the nice damp warm space hidden by the masks... things that are not nice...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2022
  8. Thomas Windom

Registered

Actually, testing on the N95s suggests they are pretty effective, even with something as small as a virus. The reason is, that NEW, UNUSED (and that’s a very important qualification) masks work not only through physical filtration but by electrostatic attraction aided by airborne brownian motion of such small particles. Those masks are disposable for a reason though. They lose important properties after brief use.

Here’s one review.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15459624.2020.1868482

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Actually?
    Actually the mask have been known to not be effective since decades before the planned-emic started,
    and
    Actually all the numbers when seen in plain sight prove masks increase infections and deaths.
    If not censored yet,
    see the proof from 1977-1981 , likewise dozens of other sites, results, proofs, contrary to political correctness.
    on one of the presidential candidates webpages. /A Woman, btw/ .....

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't believe most of the masks are tested with viruses. It is just too difficult to do so. Tests are conducted using bacteria and the results are assuming that viruses work the same way. If you can find studies where "live" viruses were used in testing, I would be interested in seeing that. N95 masks came into common use in hospitals originally to prevent transmission of TB and other bacterial diseases.

11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As I recall, COVID is an aerosol, which masks can reduce but not totally filter out. I also recall Fauci's memo to a friend saying masks were not effective. I also recall states with no mask mandates being no worse off per capita than states with strict mandates. I also recall hearing from so medical people I trust that breathing in your own exhaust is not particularly good for you.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe that the medical-grade N-95 masks might indeed help to prevent someone from catching a virus, but I also believe that the long-term use of any kind of a mask would be more harmful than healthy because, for one thing, sooner or later you're going to be exposed to something and your defenses will be non-existent.

If I were to transport a patient known or suspected to have a virus to a hospital, as I have many times, I would indeed protect myself with a mask, but I wouldn't work a whole shift with a mask, and I certainly wouldn't wear one off-duty.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Anyone who has worn a fitted N95 realizes it compromises your breathing ability, and anyone with a breathing disorder has trouble doing so.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  14. Thomas Windom

Registered

The article, one of many, is there to read. I’ve already said that virtually nothing is 100% effective, they’re designed to shift the odds. Some do a better job of shifting the odds than others. Home made cloth masks are among the worst, BSL4 rated suits are the best. In between is a complete range of things with varying degrees of impact. I also have said that wearing any kind of nose and mouth covering isn’t really offering very much protection at all if the eyes are exposed. Here, search for yourself.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,21&q=face+mask+levels+of+protection&btnG=

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

For this covid propaganda, I've had one on 2 times, both for doc visits. All I listen to is how worthless they are,

Now back in 2016-2017. I had the pleasure to spending 4.5 months in rehabs for a knee infection, doctors failed in finding it for 2.5 months, well I saw NO MASKS in those facilities. And talk about places filled with germs.....Nope no masks....