Uploading Photos

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Sifu Phil Bonifonte, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If the photo that I am going to add is on my desktop or in an Uploads folder that I have created, I will usually just drag the photo into the post box. I will also do that if I am going to add multiple photos to the same post. However, if I'm not sure where the photo is stored on my computer, I find it easier to use the Upload a File button and search. I suppose it would be just as easy to use Finder, but that's not usually what I do.

2. Ken Anderson

An IMG file is a disk image file, so it won't work here. There are several programs available that will convert an image from one format to another, and this will probably include some free ones. I use a Mac so I don't have a name of a program for Windows in mind but I could probably find one for you if you'd like. Otherwise, here is an online converter, for which you can upload an IMG file and it will convert it to a JPEG format, which is the same as a JPG format. I haven't used this particular converter before, but I have used similar ones. Here's another one.

Being unfamiliar with Windows 10 or any recent versions of Windows, I don't know the name, but the OS very likely comes with a program that will convert an IMG file to a JPG or to another format that will be recognized here. For example, the Mac comes with a Preview app. By default, if I click on an image, it will open in Preview. Once opened, I can click File, then Export, and it will give me the option of exporting the file to several different formats, including JPG. I expect Windows has something similar. The same program should also allow you to resize the photo. I always keep the original photo file unedited though and make changes to a copy.

WAIT ... When you say your pictures are IMG files, I was thinking you were talking about an image format. However, the IMG data format is a disk image file that stores information otherwise available on the disk the image was created from. Such files can be stored on the hard drive of a computer but are treated by said computer like a disk drive or an optical disc. It's not a photo image file.

I am thinking that, perhaps, what you mean when you say that your photos are IMG files is that IMG is in the file name, which is also the default of my camera, as below:

IMG.png

However, as you see, although the file name begins with IMG, that is not the extension. The extension is the letters following the period in the file name, and it represents the file format. My camera uses IMG as the beginning to the default file name, but the extension it uses is a JPEG image.

The photos in the above screenshot use the default file names, although I have already resized them to fit. As they come from the camera, they are too large, as you can see from the following screenshot:

img-2.png
    If I were to try to upload the above image to the forum, it would give me the error that you receive, not because it is in the wrong data format, but because the file size is too large. The default image size for my camera is more than 4,000-pixel width.

You can resize the photo by clicking on it to bring up Preview, or whatever program your program uses to open an image by default. Then if you go into Tools, you should find an option to resize it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Von Jones likes this.
  3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson. I may have misled you. I can upload PC pics but PC vids will not process.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Just copy the URL of the Video.. if on youtube ... and paste it directly on here..couldn't be simpler!!!

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Videos still wouldn't be IMG files, though. The forum does not allow direct uploading of video files. You would have to upload them to Youtube or one of a few other places whose embeds the forum is set to accept, then link to them here by pasting the URL into the post box, or by clicking the Media icon on the top of the reply box and pasting the URL there.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson I'm learning a lot here. What about a video I posted on Facebook? I just learned how to do that too.

7. Ken Anderson

Yeah, it accepts Facebook videos, as well as those posted on Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo, and Dailymotion.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

How do I transfer a photo from my photo files to a post on this forum? I used to be able to do this, but I can't any more and I don't know why.:(

Hal

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

right click, copy image... then come here, right click and paste....

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

or you could use the Upload file facility at the bottom right of the reply box. Click on it, search for your picture on your computer, click on that , and it should post to here...

12. Ken Anderson

Or drag and drop it in the reply field.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

NONE OF THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS WORK FOR ME !

My picture files are in my photo gallery of 400 + photos, which are way off in a "foreign land" which makes it impossible to click and DRAG it from the gallery to anywhere else, which is on a different page!

When ready to upload a photo to a Forum post, I have to LEAVE THE FORUM ALTOGETHER and go to my startup screen and click on the Photos Tlle.

Then I scroll through the hundreds of photos and select the one I want to post, write down its XXX.JPG, get out of that "world" and return to the Seniors Forum.

When I'm back to my post, I click on "upload a file", and I'm taken to another page where I typed the "XXX.JPG" into the slot and click OK.

Then I recieve a delightful little sign that says "FILE NOT FOUND".......out of over 400 photos, it doesn't find anything!

Shall we discuss the mating habits of the Malayan Jungle Lemur?

Hal

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Quote '' When ready to upload a photo to a Forum post, I have to LEAVE THE FORUM ALTOGETHER and go to my startup screen and click on the Photos Tlle.''

Why don't you just minimize the forum ?

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

How do you "minimize" the forum?

I don't see anywhere on the post where I can click on anything that does that.....o_O

Hal (I should have returned this 4th W10 headache and went with Apple.)