Unusual Things You Have Done

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Dee Roenz, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Dee Roenz

Dee Roenz Veteran Member
    Registered

What is one of the most unusual things you have done?
    For me, it was singing with a music artist from the 60's era, Bobby Curtola. I remember he was at this local travel agency promoting a cruise lines, and signing autographs and such. Well, i impulsively, and nervously, walked over to him, and started singing a few lines of a popular hit he had in those 60's. He surprisingly started to sing along with me, wow! I was thrilled, to say the least. This is now a wonderful memory for me, only wish i hadnt washed off the kisses he poured all over my cheeks! This was certainly one of the most unusual things i've ever done!
    Do you have any unusual moments you could share with us?
    Dee

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Dee - what a great thread you've posted - a lovely memory you have all due to putting your nerves aside
    Its early here, so I'll come back to post later :)

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This IS a good thread. I just can't think of a thing unusual I've ever done. Sad. :(

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

This was not unusual for me really, but it was a first
    I loved to sing and dance - once I immersed myself, I was in another 'lovely' world, all problems disappeared
    I was around the age of 11 and had just seen 'Gypsy' at the cinema, waiting for the bus the songs played in my head
    and as the bus approached I grabbed the rail to get onto the platform and burst into song with
    'Curtain up ! Light the lights' we got nothing to hit but the heights'
    'starting here' (climbing the stairs to the top) 'starting now' …….. (top of bus) ….
    'Baby, everything's coming up roses !' and so I continued down the aisle of the bus - finished to a round of applause
    My first audition and I passed :cool: :p
    My biggest gift, was that I could hear a song 'once' then sing it, the tune was complete, the lyrics around 90 per cent
    the other 10 per cent I could ad lib.

Those were the days ………………. sigh

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember climbing a tree near the riverbank where we lived, and dropping a heavy rock on a Railroad Torpedo which I had placed on a river rock. The explosion caused neighbors to step outside to see what happened! My dad supervised the event, as he was the only one able to acquire Railroad Torpedos, being a Locomotive Fireman for the Pennsy. This was in 1944, when I was 8 years old.

Hal 2378238069_15ed91af04_b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal made me remember some of the stupid things i have done in my life time. One was i took a small plastic bag put oxygen + acetylene tied it off placed a piece of paper under it and lit it. The explosion was loud and shuck the dust of the beams in the factory.

Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

Good for us!
    Harold

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. Just about everything I did and do is unusual to someone. I’m a curious person and as such I do things that seem quite natural to me but I find that I get a lot of questions and “looks” when I do them. Other than that..........

I guess though, the most unusual thing to others is the fact that I’m a heavy duty introvert and I do NOT like crowds of any kind unless I am the one in front and in control. I was in an off Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar and Oh Calcutta and never thought anything of it because i wasn’t in the crowd. I can easily speak and lecture to as many people as you can fit into a lecture hall or auditorium but put me in the middle of a half dozen people and the anxiety freezes my brain.

Beth Gallagher and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

Fancy that.

h.p.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think a lot of the things we did when I was growing up would be unusual today, and some would probably call for prison time, such as several attempts to make a bomb when we were maybe twelve or thirteen. We accomplished some good fire explosions but, since we did this at an old gravel pit, there were no actual fires. We did blow up some stuff with dynamite, though. It wasn't so uncommon then, as farmers would use it to blow stumps out of the ground or to dislodge large rocks from a field. Although my dad bought dynamite from time, he either bought just what he was going to use that day or he did a better job of hiding it than my uncle did, because we found his. Kids today, deprived of dynamite, don't even know what they're missing out on.

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

When I used to entertain people, it wasn't a big deal for me, in my head I was in my room singing for the joy music gave me
    Now - a whole different ball game, health issues have taken my joy away but now, when I have to stand up in a room of people and
    defend my rights, where I live, Its so difficult for me to do but 'I have to do it', that - has never left me

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

My Dad's Uncle, a most progressive and determined guy, happened to be blasting stumps on his property when we drove out once to visit. He had a large place near Sawyer, Michigan. There in his shop, we watched (my Dad & I) as he prepared several sticks. We followed him out to the field being cleared, watching as he drove a long wrecking bar into the ground amongst the roots of the next hapless tree. I'd guess the stick went down about 3 feet into the hole, a long enough fuse protruding to reach above ground. He lit it, began walking away, as we took off running. He laughed. The fuse burn rate was 50 seconds per foot! We waited an eternity, expecting a huge blast. Suddenly, a very muffled "whump" was heard and felt, and the tree laid over free of the ground. I was then about 12........I knew that someday.......
    Frank

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a landlord that told me a story about when he worked for a town in Massachusetts. Its seems that it was summer time and there was some rock outcroppings that the town wanted to get rid of at the local school. So my friend was asked by one of the townies if he'd help. The plan was to cover the rock with sewer lids that they had and then using dynamite blow it up. Well my friend told me that he never laughed so hard as when the dynamite exposed and every window in the school was blown out.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

After my wife died in 1989 and I went to dating again I went to a advertised SINGLES NIGHT AT THE ZOO. Saw some nice animals but no ladies that piqued my interest

Beth Gallagher likes this.