Unexpected Things You Learn Along The Way

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ruth Belena, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Active Member
    Registered

I've learned that in order to have a successful career it's not necessary to go into higher education. Not having a degree does not make you dumb and, if you want, you can always continue your education later on in life.

One thing I did not expect was to become more intelligent as I grew older. I mean as far as studying is concerned. There are things that I was not capable of grasping intellectually when I was in my teens, which I have been able to learn and understand much later in life. I did not develop the ability to do critical analysis until long after leaving high school and I was able to pass exams as an adult that I would not have been able to do when I was younger.

What is the most unexpected thing that you have learned along the way?

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

Eash mind matures in its own time. Now you have a few experiences to take into considereation you can relate to different situations. I do understand what you are saying. The Ah Ha monent. I can't say I learn things better now that I am older but I can say the importance of somethings to me have changed.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Forgiveness is the one thing that really surprised me. There was a lot of harm done in my years, and although I mostly didn't hate, I did have some very hard feeling towards several people.
    Somewhere in my 30's, I started to get a clue that the hard feeling were harming me. So I started to let things go. Just not think about it anymore. And I found that I was the one to benifit. The bad feelings weren't getting me anywhere.
    It wasn't so much as letting the offender off free, as it was the freedom that I acquired in the letting the offence go.
    A man murdered my 27 year old son in 1993, and I have traveled to parole hearings, written letters, and in general spent a lot of time keeping this man incarcerated. He is due two get out in 2018, and I can eccept that. When that time comes I will let it go, and do my best never to spend any of myself on him ever again.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I learned that 'change' is inevitable. No matter what it is. Whether it's a good change or a negative one, adjust, adapt and move on. I use to wonder about the expression 'Set in my ways.' How can that be when things are always changing around you?