Underwater Camera

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Corie Henson, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

If you want to know the trend, just look at the kids nowadays - those teenagers and yuppies (young professionals). They were the ones who sport what's new in fashion and technology.

When the loom band got popular, I learned it from the kids who would give me a sample for me to wear. When the selfie stick a.k.a. monopod was in fashion, I saw it first with my nephew. Those kids with money have those big DSLR cameras hanging by their necks. And check what they have inside, nothing but selfies.

Now the in thing is the underwater camera. The young have been posting in social media their underwater shots using their underwater camera. Some even post the specs of their camera, huh.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Kids aren't the only ones that have this stuff. We are in our mid 60's and have this stuff!

Anyway, a "selfie stick" is not a monopod. A monopod is a "one-legged" camera holder and a "tripod" is a camera holder with 3 legs. A "selfie stick" is for an iPhone. We have all three. Also, "selfies" are not kept in digital camera's, they are kept, if they are kept, in iPhones, because that is what takes them.......an iPhone. Sorry, don't know where you got your info from, but........wrong.

We use an underwater camera when we've gone to a Water Park. That is a Park for water-fun (rides, etc.). Water camera's can get wet, because the camera is enclosed in a plastic waterproof case. When using one of these, it's the only time I have the film processed outside our home.

Guess you might call us "trendy" Seniors!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh, my husband is with the local film industry so we know what a MONOPOD is as against the tripod. Yes, a monopod is a one legged stand for the camera. However, I wrote in my post monopod because that's how those selfie sticks are called here. And to prove my point, I am attaching a photo of a monopod or selfie stick that my husband had received from a film director as a gift (from abroad) last week. That selfie stick costs $40. Take note of the photo, the girl is holding a selfie stick, right? And the label says Monopod. IMG_5945 monopod.JPG

And with the term SELFIE, that means taking your own picture whatever you are using, digital camera or phone camera. Selfie is not a copyright of iPhone. Pardon me for the info I am sharing if it runs counter to what you know.

Magalina Lilis and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I believe you and your husband are living in the Philippines and you are right, some things are described differently there than here in the U.S.. I know that because one of the stops my ship (Navy) made going to Vietnam, was the Philippines.

Anyway, I have never seen a Selfie Stick called a Monopod here. And, with that being said, I believe most, if not all people here use the "Selfie Stick" or their hand to take "selfies" with. It can be done with a regular camera, but I just don't know how since a digital camera has no "reverse" mode, so the person can see themselves in the camera. iPhones have the "reverse" mode made specifically for taking "selfies" with.

The word "selfie" is not marketed just for iPhones, but (pretty much) that is the only way to take a "selfie". It is written on the package that our Selfie Stick came in "not recommended to be used with a digital camera due to the weight of that kind of camera".

BTW, I'm not a professional photographer, but have taking many, many photos.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that a selfie can be taken with any smartphone that has both a forward and a reverse function for the camera; so it should not just need to be with an iPhone specifically. That just happens to be the most popular smartphone, and I think that it also has the best picture quality.

I don't think that it would be very practical to try and take a selfie with any kind of camera; because (like @Cody Fousnaugh pointed out) there is not way to see what the camera is taking a picture of with a regular camera. With the smartphone cameras, you can actually see it on the screen since they have the reverse function camera.

6. Corie Henson

Registered

Pardon me for asking, I don't know what a reverse function is. But if you mean the preview function where you can see the shot you just took, digital cameras have that too. But anyway, my husband has been taking selfies with his old Canon that we bought in 2004 when cellphones here have no camera yet and smart phones have not been seen here yet. That old Canon has a preview function that affords us to preview all the shots taken.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe the term reverse function is not the correct one; @Corie Henson; and that is just how I described it.
    What I am trying to say is that the camera on my iPhone works two directions. When I turn on the camera on the iPhone, and want to take a picture of a flower (as an example), then I would have the lens so it is looking at the flower, and I can see the flower on my screen to line up the picture just the way that I want it to be. This is just like you would do with any regular camera that has a view-screen.

However, if I want to take a picture of myself, then I tap an icon on the screen, and it reverses the direction that the lens is looking, and I can now see my face in the screen looking at myself. (like looking in a mirror)
    That way, I can see what the picture is going to look like before I take the picture of myself; just the same way that I can see the flowers on the screen when the lens is reversed .
    With a regular camera, you can only take pictures of something that you are looking at in front of you, and to take a picture of yourself, you would have to turn the camera around with the lens facing you, and then you can't see the viewfinder since it is on the back of the camera.

Here is a little tutorial video that shows how the camera in the iPhone works. He chatters a lot; but if you watch, you will see that he takes a picture of an object on the table, and then he touches the reverse icon, and then you can see him talking as he looks at himself and takes a picture of that.

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, I now understand what you mean with the reverse function. That the cellphone camera has 2 lenses, one is pointing away from you and the other is pointing towards you. So when you use the first one, you can shoot the flower and using the second one that is meant to take your photo. Indeed digital cameras have no function like that since their lens is only one and that is the one pointed towards the subject. You have to point the camera to yourself in order to take a selfie.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Corie, hate to say this, but you are missing something we are saying here.
    The Picture Review is not what we are talking about. We are talking about the "reverse" spot (top/right side of my iPhone, when the camera is on) that a person taps their finger on to reverse the iPhone camera to look at themselves and take a photo of themselves (called a "selfie". That can not be done with a regular camera.

What you are talking about is "reviewing" already taken photos.....not what we are talking about.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with you, Corrie, that the members of the younger generation, are the trend setters, and are keeping far ahead of the curve! Most adults and seniors are playing "catch up"....some, better than others.;)

11. Corie Henson

Registered

You can say that again. You know what? Whenever there is something new in the smart phone, I don't bother to check on it. All I do is ask the children what it's all about. Liike the camera of my phone, they were the ones who did the setting of the resolution, saying I should be using the maximum quality of my smart phone's camera. I remember the blue tooth when I used it the first time. The kids were setting up 2 phones side by side so I asked them what they were doing. It was the way to transfer files between phones with the use of the bluetooth. So I had my phone tested for the blue tooth and I was really amazed.

So we now learn from the younger generation.

Magalina Lilis likes this.