Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

1-4" with a sheet of ice underneath here in KC current temp -9 this morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

local docs are warning fans to stand and keep moving. high today 14

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Gary Ridenour Wondering how our QB will handle this type of cold.
    ( born and raised in Hawaii )
    His interviews on local TV channels states he's ready.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Looking at the weather for Christmas in Illinois, doesn't look like snow.... Maybe a slight chance on the 25th...but more likely rain. Think the temp will be 40 for the high. Not too bad, I can deal with that.

They are very cold today and tomorrow though. I'll leave from San Jose where the temp will be 62 and arrive at night in Illinois to a temp of 13!

4. Gary Ridenour

Registered

you a Titans fan ?? we heard he's not used to this cold weather. well he'll get an education here today. they should have added a roof to Arrowhead when it was built. morons. they tried to retro one but most of the burden was on the taxpayers. so it failed.

5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes Sir, Go Titans! Can relate to Marcus Mariota's cold weather dilemma.
    I graduated from another High School in Hawaii then his.
    My first dealings with cold weather was at Denver in 1970.
    I was 18 and all I could think of was "Get me out of here !" :eek:
    Got my wish, stationed in Guam shortly after...

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I had to tiptoe to the trash container this morning because it was nothing but ice on my sidewalk. It rained all day yesterday and temperature dropped below freezing. The streets are all ice. I haven't heard not one car drive by since I've been up this morning as a matter of fact I haven't heard any of the busses that run hourly pass by.

Now it's snowing on top of all the ice. Not a good combination.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well so far we've had thick ice but no snow yet....these are pictures from last years' snow falls from my area...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It may be an annoyance and sometimes dangerous but, you have to admit, it's beautiful. I LOVE to watch it drifting slowly down. Of course, we don't have it often enough to get tired of it. :)

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife is stranded in Bangor, about 70 miles from here. She's in a hotel, so it's not like she's stuck in a snowbank or anything. But a major storm has hit Bangor apparently, and supposed to get worse overnight. She said stores were closing early and there was very little visibility so she didn't feel comfortable driving home.

It's not bad here in Millinocket yet, and we often miss the big storms so I might luck out. It's been snowing steadily since before noon but it's a very fine snow that hasn't accumulated anything yet. Even so, I will probably have to fire the snowblower up in the morning, which is fine. I'm glad that I bought it since it's actually kind of fun once I get past the idea of having to go out into the snow.

I could also happen that everything is buried here in the morning, which might be kind of fun anyhow. Weather reports are about as accurate as the news these days, so I'm mostly surprised.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Gary Ridenour

Registered

I heard the east coast almost had record high temps yesterday. in the 60's and less than 24 hrs later 10-14"

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There was an online weather report that said it was another one of those polar vortex things coming down and across the whole northern UNited States. (I posted it in the "preparing for winter" thread). My family and friends in Idaho and Washington are snowed in, too, and said it was like a blizzard outside.
    Even the snow plows are going off of the roads, and it is hard for anyone to get their driveways plowed, or the several feet of snow shoveled off of the roofs.
    They school up there had posted on Facebook asking for help to clear the snow off of the school roofs, even, although the schools are all still closed from the storm.
    I hope that Michelle is able to make it back home tomorrow ! Be safe out there with the snow blower and no more crashing onto the driveway, Ken.....

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

With the snowblower, I was on track to having a nicely cleared driveway, parking area and sidewalks this year. However, while I was in Bangor for the radioactive iodine treatments, it snowed here and Michelle paid someone to clear the roof off the back part of the house, the only part that doesn't have a metal roof, and he shoveled everything onto the driveway and parking area, and left it there, where it froze solid. Of course, the snowblower won't cut through a lot of ice so it's been difficult.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders This building (house?) is absolutely beautiful! With it's thingies on top, parapets are they called? It looks like a castle! It would be remarkable to find one like it over here without some serious looking.
    Frank

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Tuesday and Wednesday our temps reached 89*. Today, it's came back down to 69*. One day I want to make a list to start my spring fever gardening, and then the next I'm tearing it up. This years has been so weird that snow in southern Texas would fit right in.

Yvonne Smith likes this.