Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That's funny, Ina! Do you mean you blocked their driveway with a snowman, and they would have to drive over it to go to work? HAHA!

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes @Joe Riley , we get so little snow here, that when my sons and I built the snowmen in everyone's driveway, they couldn't bring themselves to be the ones that ran over Mr. Snowman. :eek: :rolleyes:

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's snowing pretty hard here right now and, this time, I think it's going to stick. We may still have another melt-off, but it's supposed to stick around for at least the next few days.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No snow here yet Ken...but the forecast is for -7 degrees here tonight, so it'll be very icy in the morning when I leave for work...dark and icy roads...yuk, horrible combination

5. Ken Anderson

It looks like this may be our first plowable/shovelable snow of the year. Michelle will be spending the night in Bangor, since we don't have the snow tires on yet, and she doesn't like driving in it at night anyhow, so I'll probably be up in the morning to shovel the driveway. There's not that much yet but it's still coming down pretty thick.

DSCN0616112916.jpg
    DSCN0617112916.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Those are knock-out pictures, Ken. I miss the snow falling and in the early morning the muffled sounds. All but the snowplows with chains on the tires. Just wouldn't be able to handle the cold.

7. Ken Anderson

Well, it looks like snow is here for the season. I don't see another melt-off until spring. It's actually a pretty nice day today, although there is snow everywhere.

Having lived in Michigan, Texas, and Maine, this chart is pretty accurate, I think.

. snow-regions.jpg

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We have fog delays here. Usually about an hour or two.

I looked ahead and it's going to be darn cold when I land in Illinois and I'm not used to it...brrr

The high that day is only 24 and I land at 8:00 PM if I don't miss my very close connection. I'm starting to stress because everything is going wrong.

My weather for when I have to drive to daughter's has a flood warning til Friday afternoon. That means my shortcut will be flooded and it will be foggy.

I have other issues to worry about but they're not weather related so won't mention here.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with that chart, for sure. Everything shuts down here when there's ice, nevermind snow. There aren't many plows in this part of Texas, so everyone just hunkers down until it melts, and then life resumes. Although I used to enjoy going home for Christmas and experiencing the cold and snow, traveling in the winter always worried me. I got stuck in a few places I didn't want to be over the years, and hope that doesn't happen to you, @Chrissy Cross.

@Ken Anderson I hope you can get where you need to go.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, Diane...I've had it happen quite a few times over the years. :(

It's such a hassle especially if you have to spend the night In a strange city. After going thru the whole hassle of checking in, going thru security etc. your flight is cancelled or you missed your connection so you have to go to baggage claim...get your bag, look for a hotel near the airport..drag yourself and bags to the hotel just to start all over the next day...my stomach is churning just writing this, lol.

Dallas shouldn't get snow but the distance between gates is huge there and if you don't have much time that could be a problem.

If I wasn't traveling alone I'd be less stressed but alone everything depends on me. :(

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross cross, request a wheelchair. You will have this handsome young man to whisk you right to where you need to go. :D You'll go right through the lines and get to be the first to board the plane. You will need to give him a small tip but it's totally worth it.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's a thought! I will need a wheelchair if I have to run to my gate with my carry on bag...I'd probably need an ambulance, lol.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Yeah, it doesn't look like our snow will be melting soon.

weather-12152016.png

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can't even imagine what those type of temps are like anymore!

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My daughter did this for me before I had the heart operation because i could barely walk, let alone run through the airports when we went out to Washington to see the boys (her brothers). It really helped a lot ! They just met us when we came off of the fight, and even Robin had to hurry to keep up with the fellow who was speeding through the airport with my wheelchair.
    When we didn't have that, we used one of those trolley-cars that take you from one flight area to the next one you need to be at. Both of these will help a person get through the airport lines a lot easier and faster.