Two Nephews Many Dilemmas

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Families :rolleyes: Sure can be a burden

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank, as cold and heartless as this may sound- let it alone.Been there , done that, many times. It took me a loooong time to learn -and too much money that I can not fix others peoples mistakes or problems- even realatives.
    Enjoy the visit, lend. only your ear, then off they go.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

People's lives can certainly be derailed by hooking up with the wrong partner. Sad state of affairs for your cousins, Frank... but apparently they went along with their situations willingly. Enjoy your time with them.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Dan married a b--ch who had already been married four times? Sounds like more than his heart was broken. His mind must have been broken, too.

My only advice is.... enjoy what time you have to spend with him and thank God they don't live next door.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    It is Good Friday. Mike arrived by bus last Tuesday afternoon; he is limping and dragging himself along in far worse condition than when I last saw him, 16 months ago. Both hips are bad. He is 6 months older than my wife, 9 years younger than I. He stayed with us Tuesday night, we all watched Dan's plane soar down the next morning at 9:30, right on time, watched the passengers emerge from higher up in the parking lot, perhaps 150 feet from the plane itself, several fences in-between. Mike spotted Dan, he's become obese, 5 years younger than I, grew up with me as a brother. He was herded onto a bus for the 3/4 mile ride to the Riverside Hotel; the airport, funded originally by Don Laughlin himself is just across the river in Arizona from Laughlin, Nevada, the gambling mecca.

We met Dan as he alighted from the bus. Always boyish-looking, if it were not not for that big gut, he could pass for 40 instead of 71! That was Wed. morning; since then we have been on the go, they spent yesterday and today at our house, today being "shooting day", the 3 old bastards drove out into the desert, 98 degrees, to shoot up a few rounds. Mad dogs and Englishmen!

Last day tomorrow, Dan's check-out 11:00AM, flight 6:30PM, Mike's bus 10:30PM, it will be a cluster-mix but maybe lunch buffet. Today my wife treated us to a real Czech treat meal, though she's the farthest thing from being Czech: 1/16th Blackfoot Indian, German, Welsh. Roast pork, turkey, red cabbage (sweet-sour), sauerkraut, gravy, the guests ate heartily of a spread reminiscent of their childhood in a true Czech household!

The 3 guys were given a treat this afternoon while we sat BS'ing out on the patio, my wife came out with the phone, Dan's son, Danny, calling from Okinawa, Japan, in the Marine Corps! We each had a swipe with him. He's doing a 3-year tour there with his wife, has made Warrant Officer, we are proud of him! He is closest to me the son I never had, and will be remembered well by my offerings to him in my death!

Thank you guys all for the interest you have shown in this family dissertation.......I'll complete this tomorrow night. The "3 Musketeers" agreed today that given health conditions, age, marital discourse, and the uncertainty of the future, tomorrow's parting might well be the last. It may be sorrowful, if such thought prevails.....
    Frank

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad you are enjoying your time with your cousins, Frank.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sounds like you had an awesome week together, @Frank Sanoica , and some special fun out shooting in the desert besides. As seniors, we just never know when will be our last time to see loved ones, regardless of our health condition; so it is always good to take any opportunities that come available to spend together with family.
    Congratulations on having such a happy week with your nephews !

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Duh. I don't know why I had it in my mind that these were "cousins." I need to read more carefully!! :D Glad you enjoyed the visit, regardless!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Well.......they're gone (nearly). We watched Dan's plane climbing out, over our house to the east, FlightAware declared the altitude at 7,000+ feet already; we live 10 miles south of the airport. Stiff south wind directed the flight on southbound take-off, all the way down to Needles, California, before turning back Northeast. He was over Mike's home of Flagstaff, 180 miles east, in about 20 minutes! Right now, the plane is just entering Southwestern Kansas, bound for Topeka.

Mike is still in Laughlin, will take the free "River Taxi" across to the area where many of Don Laughlin's employees park, then walk a short way to the Bus Stop, this on the Arizona side. We all hugged good-bye, hugging being something new which was unheard of during our youth.

Go figure.
    Frank

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad that visit worked out well for everyone, Frank.

Shirley Martin and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds like a wonderful visit. Memories shared, memories made.

Yvonne Smith likes this.