Two Days Till Payday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Linda Binning, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had one in awhile but I'm wanting one now.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  2. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes..or cashing in bottles..lol.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  3. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Yes, those are delicious! I like a fried egg sandwich too.

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, me too.

5. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I did volunteer work for the organization that runs the food pantries, and it's an excellent program. Helps a lot of people who have used up their food stamps or don't qualify but still need help.

Karen McKenzie and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was married I had to do so many things to squeeze by. Even worked two jobs sometimes. Other times, I was a junker. I salvaged scrap metal, aluminum, copper and brass. I would sell all or part of it when I needed cash. Local pawn shops knew me by name.
    fun days.

Von Jones and Ruby Begonia like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

When my daughter was very small (age 6) and I was recently divorced, my ex husband (her father) refused to pay any maintenance despite a court order...so I had to do whatever I could to earn money, but I had to be able to do it around my daughters' school hours ( 9-3), so all I could do was work cleaning houses, which would enable me to take her to and from school..so I was cleaning. ironing, and scrubbing very large houses 5 days a week during the school hours and taking her with me during the school holidays . Each homeowner required an immense of cleaning and ironing done in a period of 2-3 hours, and the bigger the house the less they wanted to pay hourly..... almost impossible for me to do without rushing around like a lunatic given that some of the houses had 3 bathrooms to clean as well as the rest of the house, usually 3 floors , and almost all of them were large houses... I couldn't afford the costs of running a car so I had to buy a little moped to get as quickly as possible from one house to another. Fortunately all the houses were nearby and I could get from one to another in less than 10minutes, but the money was still very poor for all the hard work, and I had to rob peter to pay Paul many times.

I've never been inside a Pawn shop...I never had anything I could pawn..even our TV was rented with a slot meter..50p an hour, as was my Gas meter so we watched very little TV. All my wages went to pay the bills, food which I had to eke out of the most basic ingredients, soups, tuna, eggs, veggies etc..and also all the necessary requirements for Daughters's school..uniforms, books, musical instruments etc..

On the very rare occasion that I had to buy clothing for myself..it was bought in a charity shop, of which there was very few in those days, unlike today on every high street..

The lowest point came about a year after my ex husband left, and we had a knock on the door from the bailiffs who'd come to repossess our cooker ( only 18 months old, but unbeknown to me my ex had reneged on the payments..and the Bailiffs had orders to repossess that day or take full payment, the equivalent of about a months wages to me, so I had no option but to let them take it...

I had nothing to cook on...so for the next 18 months I cooked for both of us on a one ring calor gas camping stove..until I was able to procure a better paying job...

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

When the shampoo starts getting low, I'll add in some water, and slosh it all together. It really stretches it out, and is probably healthier, since I use too much when it's more concentrated. I've done the same with the liquid handsoap, laundry detergent, and dish soap.

I add some water in with the canned cat food, mainly because Kelly likes to stay hidden and doesn't drink enough water, so that and also some olive oil added into her food specifically, help keep her more regular.

I borrow yard tools from my neighbors, and repay them with baked goods. I only need a tree lopper a few times a year, and theirs just sits around, so it seems like a better deal than each paying for one that is rarely used.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sometimes I think that it was more fun when we had less money. There was a sense of pride and accomplishment if I could stretch out the money til payday.

It was exciting getting a good price on an item, or coming up with a cheap meal that everyone loved. It was a challenge.

Now, I could care less really. As long as my money lasts the month and it does I don't have to scrimp. There really isn't any reason for me to save because I don't want anything or need anything.

Karen McKenzie and Ruby Begonia like this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My goodness, I've never been that poor. What a great job you did Holly!

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I would hide a twenty dollar bill in my wallet and in time would forget about it. When I got in a bad situation and needed money I would find it and be happy for a wail. I caused one problem one day I got stopped by the police and he asked for my driver licence I went into my wallet and gave it to him he opened it and there was twenty dollars. I had to explain to him that was my hide away money and it was not for him.

12. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Holly...you have a strong work ethic and good sense. I know those must have been grinding days...but I know your daughter kept you focused and determined..which I think you are anyway. You set a good example for your daughter regarding priorities too.

You really should write a book about your life...you have a gift for writing.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot of people these days don't know how to 'get by', or don't think they should have to. We grew up knowing how to stretch a dollar. I think before social services provides money to people, they should ensure that they have skills to get by in the world. It's amazing to me how many people don't know how to cook from scratch, and think convenience foods, which tend to be a lot more expensive, should be mainstays. I think many aren't aware that it's possible to stretch their budgets by adding in extra fruit and vegetables, or slipping some crackers or bread into the meat to extend a meatloaf. I think many weren't taught basic life skills by their parents, and it isn't serving them well.

Since not everyone learns those skills at home, perhaps schools should have some mandatory classes geared toward teaching kids what they need to know to get by. Some classes were available at the schools I went to, but weren't mandatory, and weren't offered to all. In Home Ec, we learned how to bake brownies, make lollipops, etc., but never learned to cook an actual meal. In Health and Beauty, we learned how to give ourselves manicures, and I don't recall the other things we learned. Sewing class involved machines, and I haven't owned a working machine in years, but I do know how to sew on a button, as well as how to make minor repairs, which many these days seem to think is unnecessary, since they throw items out as soon as an issue arises. Personally, I wish we'd had a mandatory basic auto maintenance and repair class in school. That would have definitely come in handy.

14. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I think by about age 25 or even earlier a person should know the basics about living independently - shopping for groceries, cooking, cleaning, laundry AND also budgeting (paying rent, utilities, learn about credit).

Sometimes parents, grandparents and other relatives enable young people by allowing them to live rent free for endless periods of time. Better to give them a deadline, stick to it, then make them pack up and figure it out.

15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane . I agree wholeheartedly with you . It's definitely a throwaway society today ...but of course the Onus sholdn't just be on schools to teach kids these things...what's wrong with parents teaching their kids,?..they brought them into the world the very least the owe their children is how to fend for themselves as adults.

At our school we had Domestic science classes....and like you we learned how to make an apple pie and scones in cookery...and in home-craft learned how to use a sewing machine to make a dress..but that was the limit....and I never mastered the use of a machine, and with 40 kids in the class the teacher never had time to spend on individual tutorial for those who didn't pick it up quickly

However our school was ahead of it's time..and they did provide Motor mechanics classes..and technical drawing classes..but only for the Boys...so most of the boys left school with a good rudimentary knowledge in both those subjects ..

of course today Girls would have the same opportunities...

The strangest part tho' at our school was that the lower the stream you were in...the more of these Basic life-skill (useful)...classes were on your timetable.. So they got only a couple of periods of Maths and English per week maybe 30& of there whole school itinerary and the rest of their lessons were made up with these skill set classes..cooker, mechanic etc..

Whereas Those of us in a High stream class had 90% Academic classes. (Math, Sciences,English, Business economics, History, Geography etc).. with just an hour a week of cookery/home-craft and PE...

In reality all of us should have been given the same opportunity at least at some level to learn the Skill set classes, because these are the things that are needed life long!!

Last edited: May 30, 2016