Twice Baked Potatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually they've only been baked once so far. Our potatoes were sprouting so we needed to preserve them. I baked 30 in the oven then cut them and scooped out the insides. Added butter, salt and pepper and a little milk, mashed them then refilled the shells. They are on trays in the freezer now Tomorrow I'll put them in bags.

When we want a baked potato, a minute or two in the microwave and they're ready to eat.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We also love baked potatoes and this thread makes me realize that it has been a long since we had one. Our favorite is Wendy's, the original baked potato that was so popular in the 1980s. But from what I know, it is still selling now because Wendy's still carry baked potato in their menu.

Pardon me but your style of preserving potatoes don't appeal.to me. Isn't there a change in taste when the potato is already baked and stored for later baking again? When there is an abundance of potatoes, particularly when someone from the province comes with plenty of harvest, we store potatoes by wrapping them in old newspaper and keeping then in the vegetable section. It can last more than a week. But cooking them for storing, we haven't done it because it may ruin the taste.

3. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Corie, we did this a couple of years ago and they tasted great. We don't have a root cellar and the potatoes would spoil if we don't preserve them. We still have a lot and will probably can some soon.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:That's a good idea. We don't have a little garden where potatoes grows, but sometimes we buy a bag of 5# potatoes that need preserving at times. I'll remember this little recipe to keep potatoes for the next time we'd like to eat them. There be no wasting when you apply this potato recipe. Thanks.:)

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

That is a good way to save a large amount of potatoes for later use. We don't eat enough potatoes to freeze them for later meals, our favorite potato meal is french fries.

6. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We had a good crop of potatoes this year. We had already cut and froze some for French fries. We still have a lot and will probably can some today.

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I love potatoes. Potato soup, potatoes au gratin, scalloped potatoes, loaded baked potatoes, oven roasted potatoes (with olive oil/basil/paprika/salt/pepper), mashed potato and gravy, potato salad, potato bread, potato skins, homemade potato chips, hashbrown potatoes with roasted bell peppers and onions, etc.

Haha…I'm worse than Forrest Gump and Bubba's Shrimp

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Registered

WE canned 13 quarts. We still have several quarts that we had canned before. Not so many potatoes left now. Maybe we eat them all before they spoil. I used 4 in the soup I made.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You are so right, Corrie! A Wendy's baked potato with sour creme and chives, along with a bowl of chili, is hard to beat, for a quick meal to go!;)

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally LOVE baked potatoes ! I used to like french fries when they were actually made from real potatoes that had been sliced and fried; but I really dislike the ones that you get now that are made from some kind of pulverized processed potato. Unless you cut your own potatoes and fry them yourself; it is really hard to find any place that makes real french fries any more.
    We only buy the small bags of potatoes; because I severely limit them in my diet, after having the heart procedure, and reading how inflammatory that a potato is. (sigh...)
    I get sweet potatoes, and usually make that for myself whenever we have one with our dinner. Since sweet potatoes are from a whole different plant family, they are not inflammatory like regular potatoes are, and don't affect my heart or my arthritis.
    If we go out to Captain D's for their senior special; then I will treat myself to a baked potato along with the meal sometimes, and otherwise I just have cole slaw and green beans or broccoli instead.

11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's just too bad that Wendy's is becoming rare now. I think there are only a few outlets existing. I cannot say why but definitely not because of bankruptcy since fastfood is the meal of the times. I miss that baked potato with cheese-and-cheese flavor where the melted cheese would hide the entire potato. It's not really for snack but a good meal to me.

What we could do now is to make our own baked potato in the oven but sans the cheese. We halve the big potato and put a generous amount of butter before baking. When the potato is soft we sprinkle with parmesan cheese and let it stay in the oven for a minute or 2. That would give me a sumptuous baked potato homemade style.

12. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Potatoes and eggs, these are two goodies I can use in countless recipes to have a different dish every time with a single ingredient, and I love to eat both so never get tired of eating them.

I'm actually into trying to dehydrate potatoes at home rather than buying instant potato mash at the store. No really too expensive to pay for, but better if done at home with fresh potatoes from the farmers market... willing to have garden space to grow potatoes on my own.

I have been thinking of buying an electric dehydrator not just for potatoes but assorted vegetables and fruits, but most of them are truly expensive, even small appliances. I know this can be done in a natural way, but I lack of open space for this purpose.

Personally I love this site and I'm always looking into it for ideas to help me preserve my food for longer time, http://nchfp.uga.edu/

These are some of the food dehydrator models I would like to be able to buy:
    upload_2015-10-25_18-42-2.jpeg upload_2015-10-25_18-43-51.jpeg [​IMG]

Corie Henson and Sheldon Scott like this.
  13. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We have the Excaliber dehydrator like the one on the left. We have dehydrated potatoes before but didn't like them so much. I never thought of making instant mashed potatoes. .