Tv Shows We Miss

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Body of Proof
    Pan Am
    Mysteries of Laura
    LAX
    Las Vegas
    JAG

We did have MeTV, which had a number of the old western tv shows on, including The Rifleman and Wanted Dead Or Alive. That channel is now gone, but thank God, we still have INSP tv, which has Gunsmoke, Tales of Wells Fargo and some other old tv westerns and a number of the old western movies with Audi Murphy, John Wayne, Randolph Scott, Gary Cooper, Joel McCrea among numerous others.

Western tv shows that I miss a whole lot: The Wild, Wild West, Cheyenne, Wagon Train, The Lone Ranger and others.

Yes, we do watch a lot of tv. We had Netflix, but found out very quickly that many of the movies we found on Netflix, we already had on DVD. Then, we found out that many of the movies on Comcast Demand, come on our free movie station Showtime. And, watching CNN, The Weather Channel and HGTV is also part of our daily tv watching.

Of course, we watch much more tv in the wintertime here than in the summer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

The only show I think I missed was the Johnny Carson Show.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's funny, I watched so much television growing up that I don't really miss the shows of the 60s. I burnt out on them. I get antenna TV and we have ME_TV here (ME=Memorable Entertainment). They air the old westerns you get on INSP tv, plus Wagon Train, Rifleman, and others.

I do miss the Wild Wild West. Ross Martin & Robert Conrad were the best, as was Michael Dunn (Dr. Loveless.) I really liked the original Batman series. Even as a kid, I recognized the uniqueness of having what I thought were "A" List actors playing villains in a kid's TV show: Burgess Meredith, Zero Mostel, Victor Buono, Frank Gorshen (absolutely the best), Ceaser Romero, John Astin, Julie Newmar (great dancer), Eartha Kitt, Otto Preminger, and more. You got the feeling they really enjoyed being there, and weren't just getting a paycheck.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I only get antenna TV (no cable or satellite.) The Tonight Show reruns play every night at 10PM on one of the "legacy shows" channels. It's been interesting as an adult to watch that show sitting on the couch with my laptop & wireless keyboard, and looking up some of the guests. I've learned a lot about the careers and lives of so many of the greats of that era. I really miss it. It was a different time with different standards and a lot more class.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

We have so many oldies TV stations, here in Austin, that it's tough to keep track of all of the shows on them. Also, a few of the internet channels I pay for, have some of the same old favorites on them. I prefer to watch what I want, when I want, so I don't mind the $36/mo. that I pay for those channels.

Leave It To Beaver
    The Rifleman
    Wagon Train
    Have Gun, Will Travel
    Twilight Zone
    Alfred Hitchcock

I don't miss the above. I watch them!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, I also miss the old tv shows that have been recreated with, obviously, new actors, like:

Magnum PI
    Hawaii Five-O
    SWAT
    and others

I really miss the old actors, but some have already passed away, so...........

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

All Creatures Great and Small .. (started back in the late 70's and ran for several years)

I saw where there is a 7 part remake showing on PBS Masterpiece, whatever that is. TV I guess?

8. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Doc Martin

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose that's what we'll do when charges for what we have get up so high we can't afford them or I consider the ch arges to be absolute criminal (in my little black book), then we'll add an antenna. My cable bill jumped $21.00 month before last. It is still only a hundred and sixty-five bucks a month or so. If my wife didn't watch so much and enjoy because it is her only entertainment source, cable would already be gone.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

There was an alignment of events for me:
    -I got laid off.
    -I temporarily had a rescue dog and it yanked the cable out of the satellite dish transducer head, thereby destroying it. That was just one reason why I had it temporarily.
    -I realized that I was only watching a handful of channels.

There is no cable or real broadband service where I live. My antenna gets about 45 channels...that's been sufficient variety. That being said, I do miss RFD TV (farming channel.)

I'm supposed to have access to fiber internet this year. When that happens, my options will open up as I can bundle my internet costs and my TV costs into one service.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

All the shows you all have mentioned we get on streaming tv services via Rouku..We take five streaming channels around $32 a month for all.
    Have not had cable in eight years have never missed it either..nor the bill:)

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We done a Rescue once and had to return both Huskies to the Rescue. It was a brother and sister. When got them home, and my wife went to feed them in the kitchen, in separate bowls, they got into a dog fight right in front of her. Scare the "holy bageebes" out of her. Then, in the back yard, they barked almost the entire night. Luckily we didn't get a visit from one of our neighbors or the P.D..

As far as RFD TV, have never had, but definitely wanted it. It wasn't part of our viewing area. Use to get RIDE TV, about rodeo and equestian stuff, but that ended. When the PRCA/WPRA WNFR (Wrangler National Finals Rodeo) was in Las Vegas, we had CBS Sports Network and could/did watch all ten rounds of that in 2019. But, due to Covid 19, the rodeo was temporarily moved it to Arlington, Texas last December and it was not shown on CBS Sports Network. It was shown on The Cowboy Channel and Wrangler Network, of which we couldn't get either.

We have Comcast Bundle for tv and our internet. It's a must for my wife to have cable, because of tv networks like HGTV and shows like Let's Make A Deal, 25 Words or Less and others.

13. John Brunner

@Cody Fousnaugh

That dog I had destroyed everything. I had a real struggle with the local SPCA taking that dog back. I did not find out until after the adoption that it had Lyme disease and they knew it. They were supposed to provide meds, but once they got rid of that critter, they did not want to talk to me. They were also supposed to provide behavioural support, but again, they would not return phone calls.

The contract I signed said if I wanted to get rid of it, it had to be through them, but they were ignoring me. So I finally decided I was going to take it to the pound and I left one last message: "My contractual obligation has been met. You are ignoring me. I'll do what I have to do." I meant I was gonna take it to the pound, but they took it as meaning I was gonna harm the dog, so that time they called me right back. I really resented them implying I would do such a thing. Bunch of dysfunctional idiots thinking that no one loves animals as much as they do. I'll never adopt through such a place again (although I'm probably on a blacklist somewhere.)

Regarding antenna tv: I get all those game shows your wife likes. Around here those are on regular network TV. The only time I miss cable is during the college football and basketball playoffs. There are so many important games that are not aired over the public airwaves.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, the problem is, our 46" HD tv is "HD" and we have to have cable to get the "HD" and we pay for that "HD". We also get free Showtime. We recorded and watched the rest of GI Jane last night. Demi Moore was in that as a Navy LT. training to be a Navy Seal. However, just like Netflix, a lot of the movies on Showtime, we already have on DVD.

15. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Only $165.00/mo.!!!????? Insanity!

Yvonne Smith likes this.