Trying To Change A Town

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't worry, I have no intention of moving to either state. :)

I'll probably stay in California or move to Illinois where my son is. Or I'd move in with my sister in Colorado.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Could you handle the winters in either Illinois or Colorado? We "think" we can, but would only find out by moving back there.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, as the winters where my son lives in Illinois are not so bad at all..pretty mild. And I'd live with my sister in Colorado so what's to handle?

I was in Illinois last Christmas and New Year and it wasn't bad at all. Ive also been in Colorado in the winter.

Ive spent 3/4 of my life in places that have a real winter.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Was just wondering, because of the length of time you've been living in Fresno. We've lived here in Florida for 8 1/2 years now and we'll have a real adjustment to do moving back into "Old Man Winter" again. Not as bad as some parts of the U.S., but Colorado can/does get a winter with snowstorms and blizzards. We know, we've been thru all of it and I've got photos of "feet", not inches" of snow.

But, like I said, was just wondering.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive been in Fresno for 14 years but go to Illinois for a month about twice every year. Not always winter but about half the time it is.

Also visit my sisters sometimes. One in Colorado and one in NJ so I still experience cold and snow.

Also since I don't have to go out if it's a blizzard...makes no difference really since the bad part of snow is shoveling and driving in it...wouldn't be doing either one.

Definetly not the shoveling.:). Guess I could get used to the driving in it if I had to....did it for more years than not.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

People don't realize that they're simply bring the place they're moving from with them, as they seek to recreate the hell-hole they moved from.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That would never even cross my mind @Ken Anderson ....I kind of live the same way no matter what state or country I'm in.

As an example...what on earth would I bring from Fresno if I moved back to Illinois??

Or how would I not fit in if I moved to Colorado? I see people just like me there.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Before we moved from Bonners Ferry, Idaho there were a bunch of Californians who moved in and decided to bring their lifestyles with them. They liked the land prices, environmental rules and taxes which is why they made the move to begin with. At the very least, they could even buy Calgon dish powder whenever they wanted instead of having to smuggle it in to California.

Well, it wasn't long before the new land owners started complaining about environmental problems, wanted higher taxes to pay for their concept of environmental problems and land prices went from meager to astronomical.
    We had a friend who owned an auto junk yard and had owned it for several years with no one making any complaints but rather found it to be a handy way of finding parts. All it took was for a new California land owner to buy some property across the road and *boom*, the feud began.

It was just another situation whereby people who were discontent with their past surroundings not only moved but wanted to bring the surroundings they hated with them.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I must live on a different planet than most of you. My life has always been pretty much the same and Ive lived in quite a few places.

Maybe now my only criteria would be if there was a Trader Joe's near enough.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This is true, Ken, but, what about those that were forced to move or be unemployed? You know, those that either take a job transfer or are in the unemployment line. I met a couple like that here in our apt. complex. One lady, who took a job transfer from Portland, Oregon, where most of her family lives, told me "if I would've known how much crime is here and that there really isn't much for me to do here (entertainment), I would have never took the transfer. However, I did get a nice raise in salary for doing it."

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, but that is only in certain areas. You go out to the eastern plains, where it's all farming and ranch area. You wouldn't fit in there, being that you consider yourself a "big city" lady. You go to Greeley, where there are many corn fields and grain storage towers. You go to Ft. Collins, next to the I-25, where the Centennial Livestock Auction/Yards are. Would you fit into any of those areas? I mean, those are all farmers and ranchers there. Very different than the metro area of Denver, commonly known as The Front Range and/or Eastern Slope. Wife and I have been to all of those areas, including areas of metro Denver. We lived south of Denver, in both Parker and Englewood (south) for 5 1/2 years. Now, you would completely fit in in Parker, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Englewood and areas like that..........all part of Denver metro.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, you have lived in a number of places, but did you ever live in an area like Parker, CO? When we lived in Parker, we had an adult female/doe White-Tail deer walk right thru our housing development. One morning, after I took off from our house and was passing the Parker P.D. Office, a full-rack White-Tail deer was walking thru that P.D. parking lot. One time, when we were coming home, we noticed a small herd of moose cows in a vacant lot. That one made the news!

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I guess I wouldn't fit in the places you mention but even if I had to live there I wouldn't think about changing it.

At my age all I need is a few stores, a wireless connection and a place to live. That's what I'm not understanding.

Yes, if I was the young wife and mother with kids in school it would be different...but not now.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My niece lives in Parker and she's not into western living. She's a 3 rd grade teacher who is expecting her first child. She's almost 30 and was born in Littleton CO. And has lived in Colorado her whole life. She's very active and loves hiking. Her younger sister loves horses and is a pharmacist but she's into English style riding and not western. She's looking to buy a new horse since she had to put down her other horse at Christmas.

I see deer by my daughter's house...don't know if it was white tailed but deer are common almost everywhere.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

All of those things you need is very understandable. But, wife and I had been fairly involved with the western lifestyle and that sure isn't here.
    Basically speaking, we should have simply stayed in Parker, CO or somewhere like it in Colorado or Wyoming. People here haven't got a clue to why we want to eventually move back to where we really enjoyed living. To most here, Florida is 100% Utopia.

A lot of folks decide to move away from the traffic, high population and so on. Unfortunately, a lot of times, it doesn't work out and they really end up missing the "big city" type stuff. There is a cute commercial on tv, showing a "big city" couple in sleeping bags inside a tent in the woods. They missed the sounds of the big city so much, they had a tape player playing "city sounds" that put them right to sleep. Funny commercial, but could be very true.

Chrissy Cross likes this.