Trump

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My whole point I'm trying to make is that this woman who as far as I can tell has the same political views as Ken
    Despises Trump. She despises Hillary also, so I'm not understanding why.

I've known her 10 years online, her views have not wavered on anything, there isn't a liberal bone in her body.

Oh well, it's a mystery to me but she's not alone. Do they think maybe they can still get Ted Cruz to be the nominee?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Trump is not a strong conservative, and some of his conservative views are newly adopted, and that can put off someone who is looking for the perfect candidate, despite the fact that the perfect candidate will never be nominated, let alone elected. For that matter, in the past, many Republicans who espoused the most conservative values did nothing to bring them about once elected.

On the other hand, I don't agree with those who claim that Trump is wildly inconsistent in his political opinions. Except for the occasions when he puts his foot in his mouth, or isn't clear about what he's trying to say, I can see an evolution in his more significant positions.

When he ran for the nomination on the Reform Party ticket in 1999, he was pro-choice. That is true, but I watched an interview that he gave then, about his position on abortion, and it was clear that he was disgusted with the idea of abortion, and not at all in favor of it, but that he didn't believe that it was his place to interfere in that decision. Given his opinions then, I can easily accept an evolution in his position on that issue over a period of sixteen or seventeen years.

Regardless, I don't expect any president to make any changes to existing abortion law, nor should he, because this is something that should be changed either by the Supreme Court, if it should reverse its earlier decisions, or by the Congress, which is not constitutionally obligated to accept a Supreme Court opinion.

So as much as I am opposed to abortion, that is not an issue that I am looking for in a candidate. I couldn't vote for someone who was wildly in favor of abortion, as this would indicate a moral or ethical flaw, in my view, but I am not looking for a presidential candidate who vows to make abortion illegal.

At one time, several years ago, probably after some mass shooting, he made a statement that sounded like he might be in favor of a ban on assault rifles, but he wasn't a candidate at the time and it wasn't a position statement. Otherwise, he was in favor of the 2nd Amendment when he ran as a Reform Party candidate in 1999, as he is now.

Immediately after the September 11 attacks, like much of the rest of the country, I was in favor of waging war on the entire MidEast. I wasn't in a position to bring that about, but others were, and I'm not so sure now that their motivations were altruistic. This is why I believe that laws should not be made in the heat of a tragic event, which seems to be the norm these days. No one is thinking rationally in the heat of the moment, and politicians with impure motivations take advantage of that to pass laws that wouldn't be passed if everyone were thinking rationally.

Other than those two positions, only one of which was an actual position change, I think Trump has been pretty consistent in his positions.

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Maybe it is the fact that he's more moderate and I get that and that's something that appeals to me because I'm not far right but even moderate to someone like her would still be better than Hillary.

I'm really wondering in the end if she'll vote. I don't know how many republicans think like her but it's doesn't bode well for a Republican victory in my opinion. It's not like its a slam dunk for Trump against Hillary.

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Denise Evans

Registered

I like and agree with every part of your post Ken, I admit that I want to cheerlead when I hear someone that thinks as I do. I mean, I am not even close to being as educated about all these things, but I am not afraid to say that I know right when I see it. I think God gave me that since I didn't get some of the other "brains" that were handed out, LOL!! At least I feel I know truth when I hear it;)

6. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok Ken, and anyone else that might have some feedback. What is there that can be done to possibly avoid martial law, and Obama staying in power indefinitely? This is something Ben Carson talked about a long while back, and I still think it could be a plan that's been set in motion by the powers that be in the US now. I can't think of anything worse right now:) But I see the way both sides are "hating" eachother, and this has got to stop. I don't have a clue how to change it, not even a "good" idea on how to unite America:(

7. Denise Evans

Registered

I had to add this too, I am seeing a lot of ads in places like facebook, and seems like a real majority of shootings from non-terrorist types, but gun-owners, legal gun-owners. Maybe I'm wrong, and just those are standing out at me, but I do not, and will not believe that our legal gun-owners are causing the terrorism, nor the 2nd amendment. I believe that is simple a ploy to disarm the American people in order for "someone" to have a much easier job of overcoming us.

I know I might be wrong, but time will tell.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Are you talking about that Texas mom who killed her 2 daughters and then was shot by the police? @Denise Happyfeet ? I saw that on FB just now. I'm reading she had mental problems.

9. Ken Anderson

I'm always up for a conspiracy theory, but I don't see that happening. I'm not ruling it out, but I don't expect it.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok, can you say anything that will help me stop worrying, LOL!! Seriously, why don't you expect it? I know you have been "in the know" about a lot of things political since way back, what, the 70s?? I had a good friend in highschool, a boy, but truly my good friend. He was an "activist" and I remember admiring his boldness in speaking out against the injustices in things back then. I didn't know anything, so maybe he was not right about everything, but he was the only one in hour small high-school (that I knew of) that tried to speak out about truth, as he saw it of course.

I wish he were still alive so I could talk to him again:) But he died very young, of lukemia. Anyway, I want to hear about all sides, and I so admire those that can speak with truth and grace. I guess you know, I am most against Obama remaining in power, so again, I would greatly respect your opinion on why you don't expect "martial law" or Obama declaring it so he can stay in power. I say it that way because that's the way I first heard it. I can't remember where I originally heard it, but I did hear Ben Carson talk about it;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

In the early 1970s, I was involved in the antiwar movement. In 1972, I was working for the McGovern campaign.

Right now, I think they're counting on Trump losing to Hillary.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok, I just heard on outnumbered on Fox, the name of the guy I don't know about, Jeff Sessions. He may be a possibility as VP they are saying. I'll have to go read about him now;) They did say also that Gingrich literally attacked Trump so he shouldn't be trusted by Trump, or us. I already felt that, so I am agreeing on that. I think gingrich knows a lot, but I don't like the way he flip-flopped on Trump. He is wishy washy, not "all the way with Trump". I said before as well, if he'd talked to Trump in private about toning down on his comments, or thinking before he speaks, then good, but not to announce to all America that what Trump said about the "judge" was unforgiveable, I think that was the word he used. Then the next thing I hear is someone's will pay Trump to choose Newt? Nope.

I think the gals were right in also saying that Trump won't be picking a woman, because she is a woman, or a black person because they are black. Again, as I believe, he will pick who he believes will be best, and I trust him with that;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

I love this, LOL! You said it lady;)

14. Ken Anderson

On Gingrich, it was the timing. As an early vocal supporter of Trump, Gingrich was positioning himself to be Trump's VP, probably at the suggestion of the Republican elite, who believed that Gingrich could control him, as Bush did Reagan.

Trump was offered a huge bit of money by Republican elite backers if he would name Gingrich as his VP choice, which must have been tempting, not only for financial support but because Gingrich would probably bring with him the support of the GOP elite.

I don't know what the behind-the-scenes stuff was, but it might even be that Trump was told, as Reagan was with Bush, that this is what he would have to do if he wanted their support, and he turned it down. That was when Gingrich came on television criticizing Trump.

Since then, he has said complimentary things about Trump again, so they probably haven't ruled him out as a VP choice. I don't think Trump wants to be controlled and I also don't think he'd have any objection to a female VP choice or a black VP choice, but that he wouldn't choose them for those reasons but because he believed they would bring something positive to the team.

15. Denise Evans

Registered

Boy that's a fact, if Trump is the man I think he is. He's not going to be a puppet for anyone, I don't think he has ever been like that either, and so I don't see him all of a sudden giving up his integrity, or joining the opposition, whoever it is. He has a vision for America, the same one many of us have as well.

It was Jeff Sessions that was mentioned as a possibility, and I know nothing of him, yet. I am still shocked at the statement Gingrich made, but to be honest, it was out of context, and I'd like to hear everything Newt said at the time.

Kind of off topic, but man, do I see a lot of commonalities between this guy Farage, and Trump. Do get that too?? I think there may be other leaders jumping headfirst into the sort of Trump mode, if they aren't already there. I'm against anything that "smells" like New World Order/globalists. Giving up our individualities, and our own choices of government/laws etc.?? They can kiss my vote goodbye.

They are jumping on the old "lies" towards Farage, just like they have Trump, when it is to put the safety of Britain first, before helping "God only knows who" into our country to let "God only knows why they want to come in". If that makes me a racist, than I have totally misunderstood the term. I call it National Security, for our citizens we now have.

Joe Riley likes this.