Trump To Renegotiate Nafta

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks like Trump intends to get started on fulfilling his promises without delay.

Source: USA Today

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I recall all the hubbub when Bubba was pushing NAFTA. Non-supporters predicted calamity: big trucks entering U.S. from Mexico having faulty safety equipment, lack of inspections, and so on. Don't recall that happening, but surely lots of big drug hauls coming across increased. Bill was always said to favor drugs far more than firearms. His Crime Bill made him the best purveyor of gun-buying interest ever, as sales sky-rocketed. Made a few bucks myself then, thanks Bill. Something like $35 Billion authorized by that Act, which was spent how, I wonder. Supposed to curb crime in America, in the end, even the required study of effect on crime due to the high-capacity magazine ban, was ignored completely.
    Frank

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

NAFTA has caused big problems for U.S. truckers, particularly in the southern part of the country. Prior to NAFTA, Mexican truckers could take a job to haul something from a source in Mexico to a destination in the United States. After NAFTA, they could compete with U.S. truckers within the United States and, without all of the same requirements, it wasn't a fair arrangement. I don't think anyone is looking to abolish cooperation and trade with other countries, but to ensure that they don't put U.S. companies at a disadvantage.

Another thing that NAFTA did was to allow Mexican physicians to challenge the physician licensure exam and be able to practice medicine within the United States. That might sound fair on the surface, but consider this. In order to become a physician in the United States, someone has to complete a four-year degree, and then complete a four-year medical school, then pass the exam, and the schools have to meet a ton of requirements in order to be accredited. Plus, there are residencies and fellowships that may be required.

You can enroll in a two-year medical school in Mexico right out of high school and, while I am sure that Mexico has accrediting requirements, I think it's fair to assume that they are not as stringent.

Yeah, they still have to pass the test in order to practice here, but they can take it as many times as they want until they've eventually memorized enough of the questions in the test bank to pass. In other words, they can fail it as many times as they want, but they only have to pass it once. There are schools in Mexico that cater to Americans who want to take a shortcut to a medical degree in the United States.

Are these doctors as qualified as the ones who have attended a U.S. medical school? Is this fair to those who have completed the requirements for a medical degree here in the United States? Is this fair to the medical schools that we have here in the United States.

Again, while some of these people may be fine doctors, we have entered into an agreement that does not put U.S. citizens on an equal footing.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

He's a do'er, I never thought he wouldn't at the very least, try his damdest to do what he says he will. I always felt in my gut he wants America to get back on her feet in every way!! I don't get why people want to fight against someone so determined to work for us!! I mean yeah, if America is great, he and his family will do better as well. He has been talking about what I say is the "slow deterioration" of America and all so many have given even their very lives for!!

I think I may be up for some better news sources too. Fox has been pretty good, but today that guy with the GG initials?? Can't think of his name, but always trying to be funny, said something I thought was disrespectful to President Trump and anyone that does that, I just won't listen to at all.

I also have to tell you guys, I NEVER listened to obama speak, never. If he was on the TV, or on some video, I could not stand to even give him one minute of my time. First he was such a fake imo, and from the beginning of his campaign, I could not stand what he was saying while out talking to people of America. Never had faith in him at all.

Now I won't miss anything that show President Trump speaking:)

Frank Sanoica likes this.