Trump Says He Won't Allow Social Media Companies To Censor Conservatives

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Source: Washington Times

What do you think?

On the one hand, censorship was intended to be a prohibition on government, not private companies or individuals, but the protection of our censorship laws have been extended to businesses and organizations before.

An argument could be made that the larger social media companies, such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and I would add Google as well, do have a practical monopoly. Sure, there are alternatives to Facebook but not realistic ones, and there are few alternatives to Twitter and Youtube. Certainly, the government has gone against other companies as monopolies who had more competition than Twitter and Youtube.

You may not be aware of it but the government was about to split Microsoft up into several parts. Bill Gates wanted to keep his business focused on business and wasn't contributing largely to political causes. He now contributes to Democrat candidates and leftist causes everywhere and has the protection of the government. To a large extent, our government is quite capable of using such Mafia-like strongarm tactics to extort money from people who simply want to run their businesses.

But what do you think? Is this one of those things that Trump sometimes voices as a personal opinion, with no intention of acting on it, or is this something he will seek to enforce. Will he be successful?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know how Trump would do anything against the social media giants, even if he tried to get them declared monopolies or utilities. They could ramp up anti-Trump sentiment faster than even the MSM, and I don't think he wants that. The only real alternative would be to start another conservative-leaning social media company. As I once posted, some people are trying to get Jeff Bezos to do an impartial, Prime Members-only social media system. I don't know if Bezos will agree to the idea, though, and I don't know how impartial it would be.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I don't know. Most Facebook users I know are not in love with Facebook and would love to have a viable alternative, and the same is true of those who spend time on Youtube. There is also the question of how much more could they do to him than they are already doing?