Trump Addresses The Nation On Border Crisis

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Joe Riley, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

"If D. Trump said that he would resign his office the minute the wall is completed we would find Pelosi, Schumer and 3/4 of the democrats in congress out there in jeans, work shirts and boots on the southern border asking what they could do to finish it faster!"

No, because he lies about everything and no one would believe him. More importantly, those folks would be unwilling to give up on the Principles that led to this stance. Lofty principles they are. Principles that follow law as it is currently written; mercy when necessary; bravery to not allow fear to rule. I mean the regular folks, not the Politicians. No politician can fully be trusted IMO.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No one was counting the illegal aliens who came across the border under George W. Bush or Barack Obama. Think about it. The only ones who could have been counted were those who were apprehended. If no one is apprehending them, they are not counted. If we ignore murders for five years, would it be fair to say that the murder rate has gone down?

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Of course they were also counting the unauthorized! GW and Obama are not ancient history! Counted the same way as with The Donald. I thought you might feel glad he chased so many away before they got here!

4. Ken Anderson

Please explain how that works.

5. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Read the article I linked, or find others. I already supplied you.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Then, by your own admission, all politicians lie and noteably, if every mainstay politician revealed how they made their millions, the public would totally disenfranchise every single one of them. That’s not lofty principles nor bravery. It’s greed and a whole lot of it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Americans are hopeful people. That is why we support the wealthy's evasions, oops, I mean legal breaks, in their taxes, believing that one day we little people will somehow break through and become rich and heck, we want to keep our money!

"if every mainstay politician revealed how they made their millions, the public would totally disenfranchise every single one of them."
    No, they'd do the same as above, IMO.

"That’s not lofty principles nor bravery."
    I had written 'I mean the regular folks, not the Politicians.'

9. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Link please. Put your money where your mouth is. And I don't mean from Youtube or Facebook. A legitimate news source. Thank you.

10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Lulu Moppet

Registered

"
    Reality check: Trump's tweet incorrectly cites immigrant crime data
    In a tweet Saturday morning, President Trump incorrectly cited criminal statistics from the state of Texas and federal data on immigration.

"23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%." ETC.
    https://www.axios.com/reality-check...ata-707a2049-f9dd-4a9c-ba16-9ad139cf28ca.html

A Trump factoid is not worth the toilet paper it's written on. I've supplied the link, no need to thank me.

12. Lulu Moppet

Registered

That is not a friendly attitude Lulu.

How's this? You have a lovely family, I watched the kids' birthday video and you are a lucky man in that respect but surely you know that.

Besides, Martin, I said PLEASE and THANK YOU.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The "shutdown" is exclusively a Congressional issue, not a Presidential one. The budget, now just a "spending act", is the responsibility of Congress. The President can propose, but the power of the purse is strictly a power of the legislature, and is one of the few powers left that haven't been totally passed to the Executive Branch. It was used successfully by Newt Gingrich against Bill Clinton, and resulted in balanced budgets and welfare reform, neither of which Clinton originally supported. The President can only reject what is passed by Congress, and Congress has several routes to bypass a veto. The problem now is that the Democrats refuse to negotiate on the only issue that matters to Trump, but they don't have the votes or control to go around the veto. Trump said in the signing ceremony last year, that he was signing this one, but "I promise you, I will never sign another that does not contain funding for a wall..." This issue has been brewing since the election and Trump should have stood his ground last year, but Paul Ryan talked him out of making a stand at that time.

Anyway, this is simply Congress using the weapons it has against the President, but the Democrats are not used to Republican Presidents who fight back. Reagan was a negotiator, but both Bushes just gave in when confronted. They were unwilling to fight for what they believed or what they had promised. Remember "no new taxes..."? Trump, Like Reagan, is trying to forestall the decline of the U.S., but the Progressive Movement, which has been in charge of most of both parties for many years, is determined to carry America off the cliff. Who knows who will win. I guess it depends on how many people are fooled.

14. Ken Anderson

Well put, Don.

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I find it frightening that so many people are fooled by the media. If the only point of view they ever get is from the media, they are badly misinformed. I have watched what President Trump actually said then watched what the talking heads said he said. It's like two different realities. Or, more like reality and fake news.

Martin Alonzo and Ken Anderson like this.