Trip Highlights -- The Good, The Bad, And The Scary

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Mari North, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Okay, here's my travel report should anyone be interested. :)

Sunday 13 March... First good thing was the glorious sunrise I saw about 10 miles from home, and then soon after there were a few deer in a field. Always a pleasure to see deer. Lunch was sushi I took along in a cooler. Yep, could have had fast food, but I knew there'd be plenty of that coming up.

In case you didn't know, I'm pretty well convinced that *everyone*... EVERYONE in Washington D. C. hits the roads on Sundays. I mean, SOME of you people could have stayed home that day. Wow... traffic. Finally passed that nightmare and saw the really cool Quantico museum building... I look for that as one of my landmarks, as well as the old bell tower in Richmond, which I also saw today.

After D.C. I started thinking about how to contact @Shirley Martin for possible dinner when I hit my stopover at Rocky Mount, exit 145 N.C. Only I never got to exit 145 and started hearing strange noises so thankfully found a reasonably priced Hilton Garden Inn (honest! It was half of what the Savannah's lodging cost!) at exit 173 and stayed over there. Catfish for supper with cajun rice and biscuit. Hey, southern cooking, what can I say.

Monday 14 March Car seemed okay, so hit the Interstate early. Got to Savannah. Looked down and the engine light was on and temp gauge as far up to the H as it could go. Well POOH! :eek: Called local (home) garage dude who said keep an eye on it. Stellar advice there, eh? And don't turn on the a/c. It's Savannah, man... sheesh! Engine cooled when running the heater... sure, run the heater in Savannah. UGH. but it worked. Knew a garage was needed so called one at my destination point and made an appointment.

Saw the *beautiful* Lake Marion today. And Pedro's South of the Border... biggest tourist trap this side of the Mississippi, but it's fun to see.

Tuesday 15 March Savannah in the a.m. and then headed for destination, St. Augustine, Florida, my beloved home away from home.

Okay, this is getting too long doing it this way. Let's just jam everything together here. First things first, and the car appointment. Not a/c but the body control module that controls everything electrical. Mechanic was shocked that it didn't just stop somewhere along those 950+ miles. Internet research told me that I'd probably be paying $1000 :( for everything. The bill was $380 and I was so grateful and amazed. And they washed it, too. The place is one of the highest rated in the country for a good reason!

Things I did the next 5-6 days: St. George Street shopping (Spanish-like pedestrian street), Castillo de San Marcos, hike at Fort Matanzas National Monument, Mission Nombre de Dios, Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, the St. Augustine Lighthouse, Anastasia State Park, Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose, Flagler Beach to spend time at the ever-wonderful ocean, and a little outlet browsing.

And yes, I did take a drink of the fountain of youth water. Not sure if it worked because I've never felt more than 29. Of course, I've been there often even back when it was still "sulpher water" so maybe it *does* work!! :rolleyes:

Excellent food, lovely beach, lots of activities... it will take me a month to catch up on sleep and rest!

Oh, the "scary?" Last day... checking out of the hotel at 5 a.m. One of the guest rooms had a light on... and I glanced up there. Uh... okay, I got freaked out. :oops: There was a guy in a "Jason" hockey mask (MAY have been a Joker mask, it was a higher level than I was walking) and his hands were both up against the window like he was trying to get out. I hightailed it, but I will always wonder.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What was the purpose of this trip, Mari? How long of a drive? If a vacation, do you often drive by yourself and go sight seeing trips alone? Were you alone?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Mari North

Registered

Purpose: Half fun vacation, half working vacation.
    Time and Distance... nearly a thousand miles and *many* hours.
    Alone? I'd be too chicken to travel without my daughter's chattering, so no.

Hey, I opted out of the hot seat thing! :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that's a lotta miles.

You can opt back in the hot seat. :)

Welcome back, we missed you!

Mari North likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sounds like you had an incredible trip, @Mari North , and God was definitely taking care of both you and the car !
    My daughter, Robin was in St. Augustine for work once (or maybe more) and took pictures. She loved it there, too, and the pictures she showed me were just so beautiful.
    I remember an old song that I learned when I was in my early teens, and it was called "The Mission of St. Augustine", and even the song was heart-touching.
    A friend was taking piano lessons, and that song was one of her assignments. She taught me how to play it on the piano, and that was how I learned about it.

My friend, Nyla and I made a trip down the West Coast from Spokane to Riverside, California, many years ago. My old Datsun pickup had a blown headgasket, which we discovered en-route. Prayers (actually answered prayers) was what got us all the way down there so she could see her mother before she passed away, and safely back home again. God does heal cars.
    It sounds like you had a great trip, and I am looking forward to hearing more of your stories as you have time to share them with all of us here.

6. Mari North

Registered

:D Thank you... I missed ya'll too. And da'ain't no way I'm opting back in. I'm a big chicken. BWOK BWOK

chicken.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife and I spent 3 days at The House of Sea and Sun bed and breakfast in St. Augustine. We spent most of the time on the beach gathering shells but we did climb to the top of the lighthouse and went to the old Spanish fort. I have a cousin who lives there who I barely know but he had us over for dinner one evening.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Ruby Begonia and Mari North like this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

I did, @Sheldon Scott , yes. I haven't braved the lighthouse yet... the climb, I mean, although I do enjoy puttering around the grounds. I've seen the open staircase and always decide against it. :oops: Did you know it's haunted? :D

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome back Mari! Did you see the guy at the top of the lighthouse, wearing the "Jason" hockey mask?:eek:

Ruby Begonia and Mari North like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Mari North

Registered

Wow, thanks, @Joe Riley ! I didn't know that existed before @Yvonne Smith mentioned it! The mission grounds are so quiet and beautiful... even for Protestants as myself. :) So peaceful and I always enjoy spending time there.

These days people go there to pray for a baby if there is an infertility issue. Then in a little while, if they have a child, they return to have him or her dedicated there in the little mission. Last time I was there, there was a dedication going on... nothing this time except a few people praying and reading in there.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome back, Mari. Did you get lots of pictures to share?

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome back, Mari. I knew you were out of the building but I thought doing your taxes had gotten the best of you.:D Glad you two made it back home safely.

Yvonne Smith and Mari North like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome back @Mari North ...looking forward to seeing all your pictures.... :D

Mari North likes this.
  15. Mari North

Registered

Hehe Thanks, @Von Jones . Doing the taxes was one of the reasons I needed that vacation. :)

Von Jones likes this.