Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Your auto transmission problem sure sounds like a low fluid problem. Your rapid acceleration doesn't respond correctly because not enough fluid to couple the engine to the drive shaft that fast. Slower acceleration the lower fluid has time to build the torque necessary. Working on slow acceleration maybe a good thing meaning the problem isn't worn or damaged parts. Is it leaking? I think Beth is right. Have it flushed and checked for leaks. You should not have to add fluid that often. It is also possible the torque converter is wearing out. I don't know much about auto transmissions as they are NOT a DIY project.

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The transmission fluid was changed out at around the 100K mile mark, I'd guess around 2012. The fluid looks red and clear on the dipstick. I suppose it has to be a recent leak, otherwise the shudder would have shown up sooner. About a month ago.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, the clear fluid is a good sign. Do you see any leaks looking underneath?

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

No signs of leaks on the ground. I'll go out and check it again in a few minutes. Maybe that will be motivation to start on those hollies, because it's parked right beside them. ;)

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I stopped by Zek’s on my way to the hair salon and he says probably a torque converter problem. Let’s hope you find a leak that just requires a quick and easy fix. Sending this from my cell phone, so a new forum experience.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks Faye.

I was wrong!!!

Had to move the truck into the yard to get a level spot. There ARE some leaks on the driveway. Small circles, all about the same size.

The fluid was barely on the tip of the dipstick again. Added some. Will wait a bit and repeat. Maybe I'll stick a piece of cardboard under the truck tonight and see if anything shows up tomorrow. Glad I checked.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Goods news! Maybe just loose bolts on cover. I hope so. If have to change the gasket, that still better than a transmission repair.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy, did you get those Hollies done? We have had two nice weather days here and me and the fallen leaves have been in a "battle royal"! I have raked, blown and mulched with the mower! The yard finally looks descent again. But as I was finishing up today, the wind picked up and it was "raining" leaves again! UGH! And the "kicker" was the neighbors had their yard service show up with all their fancy equipment and was done before I could get done!:(

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Pam Sellers:. I Haven't started on the hollies. Did one just to see if those alligator loppers would work. I don't know where to begin. They are so tangled up with each other.

Haven't even started leaf raking. There are still a lot on the trees here. Hoping the wind would blow them away. Then it rained Saturday. I guess it's going to rain tomorrow morning. I wasted the last two days.

Glad you got yours done, at least what's come down so far.

By the way, it looks like Georgia is going to have to play LSU. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Pam Sellers Same here Pam! I had my yard looking great and then the wind comes up and blows the neighbors leaves in my yard and while I am out there blowing, raking, and mower grinding them up, the neighbor has a lawn service show up. I thought it would be nice of him to have them come over and get HIS leaves out of my lawn, but no they wanted me to pay $50 to do a job I already had half done.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Update on transmission

I spread a piece of heavy plastic on the ground under the whole length of the truck. Within an hour there was a pink drip, right under the back end of the transmission pan..That much could easily add up to the amount of fluid added since last time I checked, which was ~ Oct 23rd. No other drips anywhere, but we'll see in the morning.

I may just keep adding fluid until it gets so bad I can't keep up with it. Can't stand getting scratches on a new truck, even in the bed, and that would definitely be a hindrance trimming hollies. {sigh} ;)

happy tg day.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like maybe a rear seal. How new is it? Put a tarp in the bed and that would protect it, plus make it easy to dump all the holly trimmings.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

The driveway is sloped, rear of truck lower than front, so not necessarily the back of the pan. Only one more drip overnight. Maybe it only leaks when it's hot.

If I took it in, it would start a chain reaction of things that they would claim needed fixed, and they might be right. Some name brand repair places might even refuse to work on it unless I got some "safety features" fixed first.

Ol' Truck might be trying to gently tell me it's time to throw in the towel. {sniff} ..Nothing, so far, that leaves you stranded on the road. I'll keep an eye on the fluid, meanwhile get some heavy yard work done and hauled off with a vehicle I don't mind scratching. .. As Scarlett O'Hara said, "I'll think about it tomorrow." LOL

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart Have you tried tightening the bolts on the pan? It might just solve the entire issue. :)

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's a good idea. I'll "think about that tomorrow" too. Literally tomorrow. ;) I've got a truck load of holly clippings to haul off to the country today and add to the piles of red tips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.