Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the information, @Don Alaska

I've got an appointment at TiresPlus tomorrow morning. Just found out they also do brakes. I suppose they might be OK for that, IDK. Last time they refused to sell me tires because the wheels were too out of alignment, and I had to go somewhere else for that. I had run off the road into a ditch earlier. Maybe that's what caused it.

From what you say, probably the front brakes were replaced earlier. It will be interesting to see if they tell me I need all 4, or just the rear.

Odd thing about this truck, when you brake from higher speeds, it vibrates when it gets down to exactly 41 mph (not 40, not 42). It's always been that way. Slightly better with new brakes, but you can still feel it. A mechanic once told me it had to do with harmonic waves, or something. Two things vibrating together. So I quit worrying about it.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, I have used Tires Plus for years. They do tend to say you need more than you really need. But get it done. That ole boy has served you well, give him some more life!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yes! I just checked today and found out I was wrong about the mileage. The odometer only shows 120K. Why, it's just a baby!!! :D

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Pam, I met a very nice woman at TiresPlus today who could have been your twin sister! What made it more strange is you said you shop at TiresPlus, and she kept staring at me, like she knew me. We were both pacing, rather than sitting in the waiting room. Are you a pacer? ;)

We struck up a brief conversation until she checked out. She said she didn't like being in waiting rooms with everyone glued to their smartphones.

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Four new tires, Firestone Destination LE-2. :D I didn't think tires could make that much difference. It feels like you are glued to the road now. Similar to the difference new shocks made. On wet roads, a fast pull out onto a highway, would sometimes make the rear wheels bounce and skip. I wonder now if that was due to old tires, or just a coincidence when it happened.

On the brakes. He said there is 5 or 6 thousand miles left on them (a year for me), and that the rear ones were worn more than the front. He passed the test. I decided to wait. Even the brakes feel better now. o_O

I had completely forgot that a mechanic, years ago, showed me how to pull the fuse to disable the ABS (anti-lock brake system), and it's been disabled since (long story). I probably need to put that fuse back next time I go for brakes.

Also an oil change. A little more expensive but over and done with. They recommended 5W20 oil. Never heard of it.

Walked to Home Depot and went shopping while that was going on. So much excitement in one day. It doesn't take much to entertain me. :p ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Boy, 5-20 is usually for new vehicles with really close tolerances. Some new cars even use 0-20 synthetic. I am very glad you have made the switch. I am not a fan of Firestone tires though, so good luck with them. Perhaps Bridgestone has improved them.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

It's funny, @Don Alaska. My father worked at General Tire for 30 years, building tires for large equipment. He never bought General Tires, usually Firestone. I just replaced the newest version of the ones that were already on there, because they have been good ones. I have no idea about tires.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I can only go by my own experience. I bought a very expensive set of Firestone tires in the 1970s and one blew out and bubbles formed on another. They were recalled, but I missed the deadline by 4days, so they gave me nothing for my tires and they were only a bit over a year old. I said then that I would never own another Firestone tire because of the way I was treated, but when I found a new truck I wanted many years later...it had Firestone tires. I almost didn't buy the truck due to the tires, but I relented since it was just what I wanted. Nine moths later, they too blew out on the way to work one day. Disgusted, I just tossed them on the junk pile assuming I would be treated the same way. Those tires were also recalled, so I took the junked tires into a dealer in Anchorage, was treated wonderfully, and the tires replaced even though two of them had been used as planters. I was treated very well the second time and it changed my opinion a bit, but, not wanting blowouts, I probably won't buy Firestone again, even though they were purchased by Bridgestone and may well be better tires now.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

June 17 .
    Still trying to figure out this new phone camera. [​IMG]

New road, almost 5 months later. Baked red clay. Hard as brick, until it rains. The only thing that might grow on it, for at least a year, are sprouts from roots. :)

[​IMG]

Cloud reflections

[​IMG]

A good thing about the phone is the screen doesn't reflect in the sunlight at all.

Tried to get a video of the bream, who are still hanging around their beds a little, but the cloud reflections in the water made it almost impossible.

Found this one of bream defending their beds in the spring. :cool:

11. Pam Sellers

Registered

Oh my gosh, I have a twin! Yes, I am a pacer...cannot be still!

12. Pam Sellers

Registered

WOW, what clear pictures! Did you get one of those new "Smart Phones"? My children keep telling me I need to upgrade my phone because there will be no more updates for it. But it fits so well into the back pocket of my jeans! LOL.

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Don't do it. You will be forced to get a much larger phone. It will fit nowhere well, except in a purse.

It's clear the main priority on the new phones is not for making and receiving calls. The ringer is not as loud as my old one, and the voice quality is worse. Even if it fits in a pocket somewhere, it is too sensitive. Every little movement sets something off.

I wonder what people who work outside all day use. :confused: If they don't start making them smaller again, I may have to go back to a flip phone.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Believe it or not, I used some algebra this afternoon. [​IMG]

The problem had to do with calories.. The solution makes sense, but it could just be a coincidence. :D

nerd2.png

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

There must have been some strong winds Saturday night. Two more pine trees down right below the goat barn, near the blackberries. One uprooted, the other one already dead. No damage. Just another mess, which will stay just the way it is.

[​IMG]

Little limbs scattered all over the lawn. It sprinkled just in time, so I didn't have to mow.:) I wonder if this little stuff will ruin your mower blades. It would take forever to pick it all up.

[​IMG]

Close up of new tire. So pretty.:D Now I have to wash the truck to match it. :(

new tire 2019.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019