Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The word hate is used all the time:

I hate these pants; they make me look fat. .. My teacher hates me... I hate garlic. .....

The English language needs a few more one-syllable words that convey the precise feelings better. . Sucks. just doesn't work for me... Having said all that, I will now use the word.

I HATE ... The Bixby Button !

I've had this smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) for over 2 months now, which should be long enough to make a judgement, or two. I've never spent this much time trying to adapt to a new device. I chose it for only one reason: . it was the smallest name brand smartphone I could find. I've discussed in detail in another thread why I want "small."

The Bixby Button is a hardware button on the side of every new Samsung Galaxy phone beginning with S8. My old Galaxy was an S4, and I liked that phone, but it died. Had I known about the Bixby Button, I would have shopped for a different brand, even if somewhat larger.

I'm not alone. For $40 you can get this cap, along with some stickers to paste around your house to keep reminding you.

bixby.jpg

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the Bixby Button does. It "launches" something. Whatever it launches, takes over the screen of the phone and you have to fight to make it go away without accidentally downloading something, or agreeing to something. It is on the side just opposite the power button. You have to use multiple fingers to push the power button without hitting the Bixby Button.

It poses a special problem when you carry it in your pocket. You can accidentally squeeze the Bixby button and end up doing almost anything after that, while it's still in your pocket, without knowing it.

Starting with Samsung S10 phones, they removed the ability to deactivate Bixby. However you can reprogram it so that it requires 2 presses to activate. I've done that. Why that isn't always good enough, is another long story, which I may get back to...

Anyway, I just found out today a software update (3/3/2019) allows you to at least remap the button, but only to launch another app of your choice. I found an app on Google Store, called Nothing, that does nothing, but I'm not sure this would help.

nothing app.jpg

More about this phone later...maybe...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Don Alaska and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Joe, your cartoon was a puzzle. I found an 18k gold Barbara Bixby dragonfly pin on eBay for $100. But that didn't make sense.

barbara bixby sterling 18k gold dragonfly.jpg

So it looks like you can talk with Bixby? Like Alexa? :eek: Worse than I thought. :D :p

shut-up-bixbyvy-whenever-i-hit-the-side-button-on-26989953.png

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Does anyone have any idea what this animal could be? .. I saw it today.

It's on the right side of the tree in the middle of the screen. Definitely not a squirrel. I was trying to keep from scaring it off, hoping it would slowly climb down the tree, but it jumped and took off running. Looks like he's wearing sun glasses. ;)

Sorry for the poor video. I doubt I'll ever get another shot. :(

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart Our split rail fence was taken out by a drunk driver, a while back and recently replaced. He survived, but the fence did not. Our fence guy took forever and a day to replace the damaged fence.
    April 16 - 2019.png

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

What a mess. What a picture. So close to the house. Thinking about what could have happened must have been frightening.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You can see the two rails sticking out of the front of the car. He road the fence like a train track! He missed the pole on the right by a foot!

9. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Well the IRS notification is a good thing! How much can us old folks screw up on our tax returns? Mowed grass today because it was windy and only in the 70's! And it needed it after two weeks of rain! So I would mark this down as a pretty good day and they are far and between at this point!

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Hi @Pam Sellers ! How have you been?

We've had NO rain for a couple of weeks, until Monday, so I ran out and quickly mowed everything (mostly weeds) yesterday, because it was supposed to rain again last night.

Should have been outside doing something today. It was so cool here.

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

About 1 out of 10 blackberries are ripe now. This is all I got today. :( They are small. I have battle scratches and puncture wounds. They are now in the freezer. I guess it takes about 4 cups, but wild berries are stronger. I'll make a half pie, at the end of July. :)

blackberries 6 14 2019.jpg

A stranger on YouTube suggested the animal in the video might be a groundhog. That's a possibility, but it must be a small one. We had them in Ohio, along the railroad track, but I thought they were bigger.

I wonder now if it was one of these things that the neighbor's dog killed a couple years ago. Has a face like a badger to me, but there are not supposed to be any badgers in Georgia. Always heard they are aggressive. :eek:

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Maybe he is a pet badger that escaped from the new neighbor's farm. They recently added emus and some birds that look like guinneas. :D

[​IMG]

Emma Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Another day at the Cancer Center. Got there at 10:30 am and finally left at 3:30 pm! What a long day but everything is status quo right now. I did get outside and pull some weeds late this afternoon. Maybe get up early and do it again! Life goes on!

Don Alaska, Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.