Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad your insurance company is providing the diminished value, Nancy. It's true that an accident on Carfax will reduce the value. I'm glad the repairs are moving along!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never heard of it either. I found this:

Since a diminished car value claim is a type of property damage insurance claim, you have until the end of the statute of limitations that applies to the state where you reside. This can range from two years to 10 years.

All things being equal, the value of a vehicle that has never been involved in an accident will necessarily be more (to some degree) than the value of a vehicle that has been involved in an accident. I had no idea the loss was insurable.

I'm glad you'll have your truck back. Maybe the body shop can figure out why your driver's door is so hard to close.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

If that type coverage was optional (as in, "You only pay for what you need, Emu"), I probably wouldn't have gotten it, if I had known. Sometimes being clueless is good.

In Georgia: "Your vehicle must have a market value of at least $7,000, be less than ten years old, and less than 30,000 miles per year, to qualify for a diminished value claim."

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

(8/9/22) Thursday

From Body Shop:
    "We have your Ranger back together now and currently in our mechanical stage performing the alignment. Once that’s complete, we’ll test drive it and then move it to buff and detail. I’ll update you again on Thursday."

From Insurance Co:
    "Update from shop today. Just wanted to let you know your rental has been extended to Thursday 8/11"

If things go like last time, the BS has already notified the rental car place. I'll wait and see if they contact me first, this time.

If they get this done before school starts (next week) it will be perfect. The traffic in town will be unreal for a week. It's already getting intense.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

If anyone is reading this would you consider clicking on the link below, and tell me what it is? I can't figure it out. This is on top of a hill in a very rural part of West Virginia. The link is to Google Earth. Takes about 10 seconds to focus.

LINK

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Some kind of a mining operation? Supposedly, there is an aluminum mine in Wick, although I don't know if it's still in operation.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Many years ago this was an active oil and gas well drilling region. But I don't think it is now.

I didn't read your edit. That's a good hint.

How did you know about Wick?

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Look at the url

https://earth.google.com/web/search/wick,+wv/@39.41698136,-80.96934476,304.58084446a,144.04999684d,35y,14.13341033h,60t,0r/data=CigiJgokCbMfe3r4EzhAEa8fe3r4EzjAGZef8Nuj2D9AIZyseMfcv1LAKAI

although that does not directly answer your question, but that's how we can tell that it's Wick, WV

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

I just noticed another one, about a mile to the east. I can't get anything by Googling keywords: "Wick, WV" and "aluminum."

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I looked it up. But what I found didn't have a photo, nor did it state whether it's still in operation.

11. John Brunner

I got this link: https://thediggings.com/places/wv095-99937419/mines?development_status=mine by searching "Wick WV mining" rather than just "aluminum." It times out for me, but I have slow internet.

This is the site's summary on the Search Results page:

Filter 1 mine mines by commodity, disposition, development status, and record type in Wick, West Virginia. Quick Facts 1 Gemstone mines located in Wick, West Virginia.

This might merely be an amateur geologist website.

I got some interesting results by searching on Tyler County, WV mining. I figured the small town of Wick might not cast as large a net...perhaps stuff ends up there for processing but there's no true mining done there. Obviously, Wick is in Tyler County. Perhaps you'll find a string that will lead you to where you want to go.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I clipped off that url and just went to the top-level website.

thediggings.com

Mine claims.jpg

It's hard to read the screenshot, but they have info on nearly 4,000,000 mines in the U.S.
    3,500,000 of the mines in their database are closed.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

I looked at the satellite images again and there are white places all over the county on the tops of hills, but not all have the brown tank thing. I can't tell if that's an empty tank, or a tank with a brown skim coating on top? There are too many of them now to be mines.

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the mines link, John.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I was putzing on that site (not easy without fast internet.) There is a page with a map you can zoom in on, and the mine names are overlayed on it. It's actually pretty slick. Surprisingly, 99% of the mines are out west. I would assume a ton of Gold Rush claims have been filed.

Fascinating stuff. So why the interest in this place?

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

I found it. They are natural gas/oil well "fracking pads." They need water, sand, and diesel fuel to run the machinery, and tanks (rectangles) to hold the stuff that comes out. It is hauled to a plant where the gas is extracted.

There have been complaints that the fumes from the operations settle and linger in the valleys, so they must be trying to put them on tops of hills if possible. I had no idea what those types of wells looked like. And didn't know they were doing fracking in WV. You learn something every day.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.