Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That is a great image, Joe. The mailbox fits Mr. Frost.

To have "frost on one's mailbox" sounds like it should be a euphemism for something. Not sure what. :confused: o_O

"Frost" was a slang term used in our family. A verb. Meaning to anger. As in...

He charged me $400 just to replace the battery. Now wouldn't that frost you?!

I've never heard it used elsewhere or since. Apparently it comes from the German word frusten (frustrate). A lot of German immigrants settled in NE Ohio.

Just random thoughts. Haven't yet begun to focus on serious matters. It's too early. :D

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand about the calories and weight. My son brought by a dozen donets the other morn More and more often i find myself craving sweets.
    I notice too my faavorite belt is getting shorter and where suspenders used to feel comfortable they are now no longer needed. I keep telling myself
    as soon as I eat the last of those donuts or that cake my granddaughter made I'm going to quite this nonsense and lose these pounds that keep wrapping around my waistline. I'm developing a plan and have been working on it for a while now, so soon I will be ready to start abandening
    some of my bad eating habits.

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Sweets are addictive for me. Can't have them, only artificial sweeteners lately. What works for some doesn't work for others. I have to weigh every day. Can't think of anything worse than waiting a whole week to weigh in and seeing a gain. And that can easily happen, just due to bad luck. I'd give up.

Yesterday I worked outside in the sun for an hour, salt running down into my eyes. This morning there was a big drop in weight, but I know it's meaningless, so I won't be disappointed when it pops back up, unless it pops higher than it was last week. There are few mysteries, things I can't explain. I like it that way.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

(3/14/21) Sunday

The plan was to cut down some little cedar trees in front of the cabin that are about to block the view of the pond. Last time I checked they could all be cut with lopping shears. Tossed the saw in the truck at the last minute as an afterthought.

upload_2021-3-15_20-48-12.png

What a difference a year makes. Or was it two? Most turned out to be too big to lop. After cutting about a dozen trees with the saw, the chain popped off. No tools with me. That's what you get for cleaning out the truck so well.

Drive back to house. Must have socket. Had just taken all the sockets in town. The plan was to sort them out and put them all in one place in order, which I didn't do. Now I did it (yesterday).

Zapped wild onions in the yard with Roundup instead. The second time this spring. I'm making progress on that. The next door neighbor out there has already mowed at least once. :rolleyes: Will finish the trees this weekend, unless it rains, or I decide I'd rather do something else.

Faye Fox, Von Jones and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Bill, if there's a Krispy Kreme near you, and you go there wearing green tomorrow (17th) they will give you a free green donut. .. Just sayin' ;)

[​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

No Krispy Kreme in Norman. OKC is closest. I was going through my closet this morning looking
    for something green. All I could find is a green cap. That'll have to do .

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill do you still have this one?
    [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Joe Riley
    No, Joe, I donated to Special Olympics in OKC but admit sometime .i wish I had kept it.

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

(3/21/21) Sunday

It only took half an hour to cut the rest of the trees. Then the hard part. What to do with them? They were on the side of the bank and walking there tends to wear out your feet. A little voice said, leave them where they fell to prevent erosion, and build up the soil on the bank. That voice can come up with the best darn excuses. But another voice argued that cedar trees take forever to rot, and new little trees and bushes will sprout up through them. Those would be a mess to cut then.

Before and after pictures from lake level. Part of cabin upper left. Boat was in the way.

[​IMG]

I may continue on down the bank to the corner. About the same number of trees, but larger.

[​IMG]

Put them in piles at the top of the bank. Took another hour. They will sit there for at least a week. The most likely place for them to end up is just above the road (foreground). The soil is so poor nothing grows up there anyway. It's good exercise.

[​IMG]

By the way, a beaver has been helping with the pine trees. They don't mess much with cedars. :rolleyes:

upload_2021-3-22_0-10-1.png

Von Jones, Faye Fox and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

So... maybe it's not just me? :p :confused: :rolleyes:

(First 4 minutes only)

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful place. Is the cabin livable?

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Faye Fox : The cabin is one room 12' x 24' and has electricity, a refrigerator and stove, but no running water. There used to be an outhouse but the floor collapsed (not while anyone was in it ). I thought about rebuilding it, but I don't think I could do it by myself.

Thought about having a well drilled at one time. Gave up on the idea. Now I will start thinking again. ;) Sometimes it's more fun to plan, than to carry the plan out. :p

Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

(3/24/21) Wednesday

A hawk sitting on an old clothesline post in the back yard in town. I guess it is a common red tailed hawk? You hear it often but rarely see it.

Did a video through the window ( hence spots :oops: ) because the zoomed video (X10) was clearer than a zoomed photo.

Otherwise I've just been rearranging furniture. :rolleyes:

Von Jones, Joe Riley and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Woke up at 6:30 this morning. Dark outside. Flashbacks of high school.

Clock radio would come on at 6:00 am. The song is Rhythm of the Rain. Wait until it finishes, maybe another song or two to put off the routine as long as possible. Eyes blinded by turning on the lights. Spend an irrational amount of time fixing hair. Keep quiet, so as not to wake the father. Stumble to the kitchen table, where waiting is one slice of buttered toast and hot chocolate made from scratch with canned milk and Hershey's powder. At any reasonable hour this would be good. Have to dunk the toast to get it down.

Cold snowy days were the worst. Bundle up in green corduroy coat with heavy lining, make the trek to the bus stop in snow drifts with boots, and scarf carefully wrapped so as not to mess up that hair... and wait. All of us standing quietly like zombies in the dark.

Bus shows up at 7:15. Thirty minute ride in the front seat because we were the first stop. Everyone is watching the older girl from across the street sitting in the other front seat. She is the only one talking. The rest of us are staring blankly into space. Daylight comes while we are still on the bus. Finally start to wake up during home room at 7:45. The fluorescent lights are too bright.

I don't know why I'm writing this. :rolleyes: Procrastination? I have to wash the dishes left over from last night and move some more furniture.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021