Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw this early this morning and thought about it. Wow! You are talking major expense with extending the plumbing in the second floor plan.

Here's what I was thinking for the bathroom layout.

Trees and Other things.png Trees and Other things.png

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the suggestion. I tend to get in a thinking rut without hearing other opinions.

The inside measurements of the shower are only 28" wide by 26" deep. You cannot bend over in it and you touch the shower curtain at all times. Unacceptable.

Just replacing the shower and leaving the other room alone is a good suggestion.

A normal shower is 34" deep. I don't think there is enough space to build out even just 4 inches, but I could be wrong. I'd have to tear out a wall to find out for sure. However, tub/shower combinations are only 32" deep. I don't like them, but at least you could bend over. Sixty inches long would probably just fit.

upload_2020-12-10_14-0-22.png

There is still no good way to make a closet in the big room without adding a wall or two. But I might be able to do that myself.

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks Von. I appreciate any suggestions.

That bathroom is only 6' square. You could gain 30" width by knocking out the wall, but not length. I prefer a shower over a tub. I could take out the window, but it would be an awfully tight squeeze. No "counter" space. Where would I put all my junk? lol

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow, you have a room with six windows next to your bedroom ? I would love that and would make it into a sun room, and a chaise lounge and lots of plants and have a nice place to sit and enjoy looking out the windows, or just reading.
    I think it would be a shame to waste all of those wonderful windows !

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yvonne, all 3 floor to ceiling windows are free and clear in the first plan. I could put a chair and end table beside the shower and still drink coffee and look out the windows. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Somehow, sitting in the bathroom just does not do the same thing for me, @Nancy Hart . A little bathroom is fine, and I would use the whole room as a sunroom/ plant /reading room.

BE65F68E-884E-43E1-A075-7B297EC9BBD0.jpeg

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

I know. I was pulling your leg. That looks nice. The room is 8-10 feet off the ground in the back. The windows are tilt out. I could hang hummingbird feeders and watch them all summer.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Now you're talkin'. :D

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Lol. That 'is' a small shower. Would you be able to switch places by moving the shower where the sink and toilet are in this layout or have the shower under the window and the sink across from the toilet?

[​IMG]

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

That is a good idea, because you could build recessed shelves above the sink and toilet to put junk. So I ran downstairs with the measuring tape.... Only 25" between the wall on the right and the door frame. Need minimum 32". :(

BTW, I see possibly a phantom image icon at the bottom of your post. Is it just me?

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I thought I deleted it all. lol.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Nancy, I'm not good with drawing tools, but how about something like this...

HIYZux1.jpg
    The red arrow indicates a new wall (where the existing wall is but removing the closets to add space to the bathroom.) Then move the shower stall to where the blue arrow is indicating. No outside walls changed, and you might have space for a small vanity with sink under that bath window by turning the sink to face the toilet. You would lose the closets in the green room, but then call it a "study" or "sunroom" like Yvonne suggested. I have no idea whether any of this is feasible or what the actual dimensions are.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Beth, that is a great idea. A 48" shower would fit in there. But here's the problem. I think the dotted line between the two red arrows below is a load bearing wall, in fact it may be the outside wall of the original house. I'm not even sure myself, unless I tear out some walls, it's so messed up with remodels over the years. If so, I would be afraid to remove much of that wall. :eek: And now that I think of it, that would even preclude my tub/shower combo idea earlier.

I'm getting a lot of much needed exercise running excitedly up and down the stairs with a measuring tape, checking all these ideas out. Thanks.

upload_2020-12-10_19-55-20.png

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, you definitely don't want to tear down a load-bearing wall, though there are ways to by installing a beam. There are several videos on Youtube on how to do this. :D I "assume" you would contract this job out and not be doing the work yourself? (I think tearing a wall down would be fun but constructing the new and moving plumbing is far beyond my pay grade.)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

I might be completely wrong about that wall.

I love to tear things down. In fact I may do a little of it anyway just to find out. No one is allowed in the Green Room, except me and the cat. It could stay torn down for years and she wouldn't mind.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.