Touring The Almalfi Coast Italy

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

There's a famous restaurant in Vico Equense called Pizza a Metro, where as the name suggests, you can order pizza by the metre.

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

"Taking notes" …thank you

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's a few pictures of Naples, including the great Archaeological Museum.

22780012.JPG 22780013.JPG 22780014.JPG 22780017.JPG 22780019.JPG 22780021.JPG 22780022.JPG 22780023.JPG

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Tom. Amazing architecture. I'd love to send a link of this thread to my daughter to view it but she'd have to join and is only 30. I know she wouldn't stick around SO because she's extremely busy but she would enjoy this thread for sure. She just signed a contract to shoot some cooking TV shows, runs her own Air B&B, runs her health coaching business, etc. Maybe I'll ask ken if she can view it.

Tom Locke likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Another interesting place we drove to is Ravello it's not an easy drive when busy, because of single carriageway sections with no traffic control, so a bit hit and miss getting through. Well worth it though with spectacular views. We spent the day wandering around the streets and admiring the views.

Ravello

Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter place against the barbarian invasions which marked the end of the Western Roman Empire. In the 9th century Ravello was an important town of the maritime republic of Amalfi, a producer of wool from its surrounding country that was dyed in the town and an important trading power in the Mediterranean between 839 and around 1200.

More information.

rav7.jpg rav6.jpg alm5.jpg rav2.jpg rav8.jpg

rav3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Tom Locke and Lara Moss like this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh wow! She has got to see these pics. And I'm enjoying the history. Europe has so much fascinating history everywhere you look…not so in our relatively young nation here.

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Lara I am verging on being an ancient monument myself, not looking as elegant as the old buildings though

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's okay, Terry.
    When you're an ancient monument pretty girls will want
    to sit on your lap and hold your hand to have their picture taken with you. :)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Terry Page likes this.
  9. Terry Page

Registered

Looking forward to that ;)

10. Terry Page

Registered

A couple of towns along the coast called Maori and Minori we found interesting and spent a day wandering around soaking up the atmosphere, there was an orchestra playing classical music in one of the piazzas which created a lovely atmosphere.

Maiori was one of the most developed towns of the Amalfi Coast at the time of "The Republic of Amalfi". The economic strength of Maiori largely came from the town's strong fleet of ships, and wide harbor.

Commerce and production of goods flourished until the 1268, the year of the Pisani invasion. The Pisani attacked all the main towns along the Amalfi Coast that year.

The town of Maiori has fallen, and risen again, many times in its history. In 1348 the people of Maiori suffered a plague, but the town recovered, and only a few years later Maiori was a wealthy producer of silks, and wool, which were shipped all over the Mediterranean Sea. Hard times came again for Maiori in 1528, when the Spanish fought for dominance of the Amalfi Coast. Shortly after, the people of Maiori suffered another battle for dominance by the French.

Despite it's difficult history, nowadays, Maiori is a characteristic seaside resort. Maiori offers everything it takes for its guests to enjoy a relaxing, and pleasurable holiday on the Amalfi Coast.

Minori is a small and pleasant Amalfi Coast sea-town. Its name derives from the ancient latin name "Rheginna Minor" that came from the river Rheginna, which still runs through the valley of Minori.

Like other major towns of the Amalfi Coast Minori was founded by ancient roman aristocrats who chose the place for its beauty and mild climate, and built their luxurious villas here.

Minori soon started to produce paper, liquors and other lemon specialties, since lemons are a typical product of this area. This production is still a main activity of the town and is carried on with strict respect of the genuine local tradition.

If you come to Minori make sure you visit the ancient roman villa and the Basilica of Santa Trofimena, and the churchs of Santa Lucia, San Gennaro and San Michele as well, good examples of southern Italian architecture.

amal765.jpg amal987.jpg amal81.jpg 8.jpg
    amal7.jpg amal5.jpg ama4.jpg
    alm4.jpg

Tom Locke likes this.
  11. Terry Page

Registered

A few more photos.....

Trade is slow today.........

alm2.jpg alm1.jpg qwer.jpg qw44CF9694.jpg qwe2.jpg qw1.jpg

Bonnie Thomas and Tom Locke like this.
  12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

There's also a space age auditorium out on the coast...I've probably got a photo somewhere.

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew I had one...the concert hall at Ravello.

22770016.JPG