Tornado Touched Down Last Night In Dayton, Ohio

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Von Jones, May 28, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Passed right over our neighborhood while I was sitting here at my computer unaware of the tornado warning had been issued.

I saw the lightening through the unusual blackened sky as I sat at my computer windows wide opened. Then I jumped with fear as an undescribeable gust (understatement) of wind made its way through the tree in my backyard. I thought for sure it was going to come up out of the ground. Quickly I hit my bookmark for Dayton weather and a big red banner displaying Tornado Warning for Dayton, Ohio was across the screen. I leaned back in my chair starring out the window only to see branches violently swaying against the flashes of lightening in the distance then suddenly it all stopped.

For most of my remembrances there has never been a tornado touchdown here in this city - plenty of tornado watches but never a warning. I found out about the touchdown this morning when I went to my neighbor to ask if her water pressure was low and as we were talking her significant other arrived with pictures of damages to one particular shopping center close by. She invited me in to watch reports on television.

As I returned home I thought 'I didn't hear any sirens blaring to warn everyone.'

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Phew - thank goodness it was over pretty quick for you

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Saw it all in the headlines this morning Von.... very relieved your OK..but this is what happened in Trotwood near Dayton... a lot of people lost their homes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thing is, just like after a hurricane hits Florida or one of the Gulf states or one of the states along the East Coast, they rebuild and stay. People continue to buy nice "beach front" properties, knowing that a hurricane could destroy it.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes a lot of people lost everything except their lives. There was only one life lost in Celina, Mercer County where a parked car was blown into the home.

A lot of folks here grew up hearing that because we live in a valley that a tornado would pass over the city. I always thought that if one ever does get down in this valley there was going to be some real damage because there would be no where else it could go. Oh the awful images that went through my head when I was little.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Mother Nature is a Bitch :mad:

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is one of the routes I take to the flea market that was hit by the tornado on Memorial Day. The photos may not seem like much but to me it once was a very serene and scenic drive every Sunday to the flea market. Where there is sky showing use to be towering trees. The first photo is the BP where I would stop and get my morning cappuccino and gas if needed. It had been hit as well as the Speedway Station across the street from it. What I saw next just punched me in the chest as I drove on. It was difficult to drive as the devastation surrounded me. What I had only seen on news reports or in a movie I now witnessed a drop of it on my route and it took my breathe away again as I drove back home.

Turner Road 023.jpg Turner Road 019.jpg Turner Road 005.jpg Turner Road 018.jpg Turner Road 014.jpg

Attached Files: