Topic Ideas

Discussion in 'Senior Directory Project' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

As I am waiting for the DNS to propagate so that I can install and set up the Seniors Guide, I thought I'd solicit some ideas as for topics.

I intend this to be a niche guide and directory, which will include informational articles as well as links to web sites whose topics related primarily to seniors, but I want it to be more of a guide for seniors, not for the children of seniors, who are looking for ideas of what to do with their parents.

Although we'll surely include sections for things like nursing homes and retirement communities, home care services, adult day care, mobility products, providers of Medicare supplements and advantage programs, and government benefits, these are the things that other senior guides already provide.

Keeping in mind that one of the chief purposes of the site is as a directory of web sites, what other topics might pertain solely or largely to people are are getting older, but who are not necessarily incompetent or incapacitated.?

Most of us use grocery stores, but so does everyone else, so that's not the sort of thing I'm interested in including.

Anyone who will be accessing the guide will be someone who uses computers, and I think we can add some topics related to technology that might be largely focused on seniors. Although I, and many of you, have been using a computer for far longer than our children have, that's not the case with a lot of seniors, who might have gotten a computer or tablet device only to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren. My son turned fifty, and he has never used a computer. He wasn't interested as a teenager, when I got my first computer, and never did get interested in it. Of course, he wouldn't be accessing the guide because he wouldn't be online, so we might look at what topics might there be that related to seniors and technology.

Health issues would be another area, as there are health problems that are more common to seniors.

Any other ideas?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Registered

In other words, as a senior you have a lot of interests. Many of them are the same interests you've always had, so those aren't the ones that I am interested in as far as a Seniors Guide goes. What interests do you have that you think are related to this stage in your life? Being a senior is about more than Medicare, health concerns, retirement communities, nursing homes, government programs and funeral homes, yet these are the the only things covered in most senior guides.

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Registered

Downsizing is one such topic. Although others might choose to downsize too, for various reasons, this is something of particular interest to seniors, although I'm still accumulating and wishing I had more space.

You don't have to know a thing about directories to help with this part of it. Which topics are of interest to you now that weren't so much of interest to you when you were younger, particularly those that may be related to age?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

You seem to have most things covered @Ken Anderson....errrm what about some kind of thing that lets us middle years folks know what's ahead of us...I mean what to expect in our senior years that we might not expect...

In our 50's and 60's many of us have no idea what it feels like to be 80 plus...... what are we like to have to be watchful for as we get older?

I suppose I mean a kind of instruction manual on what to expect as we age... from our middle years

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Registered

That would be a part of it, yes. There are more topics to be found, however.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson this is a very interesting thread. I sometimes see advertisements regarding products for seniors and those physically challenged to help them around the home like walk-in tubs, motorized chairs for stairs. I think would be an interesting topic.

Ken Anderson likes this.