Too Old?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bobby Cole, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Too many times in my life I have heard "older" folks say, "I'm just too old to do that"!
    Well, I guess the folks in the little video I found don't know that they're too old.
    Matter of fact, I'd venture to say that there are whole bunch of younger people who can't measure up to the physical standards that these people do.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know about "age is only a number"! Most business's won't hire an older person due to health concerns. And, there does come a time in all of our lives when we are just "too old" to do certain-to-many things. And, if we try and prove to those that say "age is only a number", we could seriously be hurt or even die. IOW, all older folks have physical limitations that we should follow.........or else.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it depends on the person. Being physically active to a degree is good and recommended but won't guarantee you won't drop dead anyway.

I dated a guy that was super fit and active and he died running on his treadmill. :(

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I totally agree with "being physically active to a degree is good and recommended", but like anything else, it can be overdone. There are those older folks that simply push their bodies too much and either keel over or seriously hurt themselves. A doctor will tell them to slow down (physically) and, when they leave the doctor's office, they say "no way" to themselves. That can result into going to the ER sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My life has always been a series of contradictions which, when I thought I couldn't do something there was always someone of influence who with or without meaning to do it challenged me. Some told me I really couldn't and I did whatever to prove them wrong. Some, like my dad and a couple of drill sergeants, told me to do it or else, and I did.
    A couple of years ago a professional bodybuilder told me that at my age I couldn't build muscle nor throw around the amount of weight that I do at the gym. He now acknowledges that he was incorrect.

I'm not telling other seniors and myself to live as close to the edge as when we were teenagers or even when we were 40 or 50 years old but it's been proven over and over again that we can do more than we give ourselves credit for.
    For me, I have slowed down in the past few years but one thing I refuse to do is to SIT down. Sitting down means that all real quality of life is going to pass me by and if that happens I might as well simply lay down.
    How long I live makes little or no difference to me but the quality of life I have while I am alive is ultimately one of the most important things I can and will improve upon.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I could do the things I used to do, just not possible for some of us
    Its great to see people actively enjoying their life at a ripe old age

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How long we live makes a huge difference to wife and I, but that's us.

We have a power boat that can definitely give us exercise, when we're able to take it out. Florida tides are a "pain in the butt" as well as summer heat/humidity. Going to the range does the same. However, because we are now older, than when we first starting boating and going to the range, we can only go one day of the weekend and hopefully that is a Saturday so wife can have a day to recuperate before going back to work. We also have the Wii Game, that, when we first got it a few years ago, really kept us going for awhile. Seemed like we were always playing it, but like most everything else, it sort of got old and we stopped playing it. BUT, will definitely get back into it as Fall and our so-called "winter" comes back.

One of the bad parts about living in Florida, and it's humid summers, is that it gets TOO humid and hot to do much of anything at our age. Staying at home a lot in the afternoons, when it's really humid, hot and/or tropical rainy is "the name of the game" here for older folks.

Actually, I didn't think I'd make it through Navy Boot Camp, back in '68. Wasn't sure my body could handle the gridiron exercises at 6:30am.........but I made it. Years upon years of doing physical employment work (warehouse and such), I couldn't wait to get my butt into an office. Found out just how much I liked computer work. Finally, the physical warehouse/forklift driving days had come to an end and I LOVE IT!!.

Of course, back in the 90's and early 2000's, I was involved in weekend rodeo's and that was most definitely exercise, but today, only a spectator. Those "good old days" of doing that are long gone.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do not think any of us can do some of the things we used to do and I personally thank God that I DON'T do some of the things I used to do. Yeah, there's a whole slew of those that are for another day and time.
    I digress.....
    There is a pivotal point however when we recognize the difference between "can, can't and won't. If we try, within reason of course, then we can more accurately define those three points and apply another word, "why". Why I can, why I can't, and why I won't.

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

With a hip replacement and two rotator cuff surgeries (one on each shoulder), my wife insists that I take it somewhat easy. Unlike years ago, I no longer do really physical work on a vehicle. Change a: brake light, air filter, windshield wipers and add fluids is it now. I pretty much know the "can, can't and won't".

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can probably do most things physically except maybe a routine on the uneven bars, lol but now it's if I do this do I want my back or shoulder hurting tomorrow. That's the game.

Also...jumping jacks without a bra aren't in my future either.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Pretty much everything is 'out' for me
    Can't even walk a straight line :rolleyes:
    If you've ever experienced vertigo at its worst - you will attempt 'nothing'

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Precisely my point my friend. You could push the won't button and pay someone to do simple jobs that you can do or push the can't button before you try. But, you didn't push either one but instead displayed that you can and are willing to do it.
    In essence, I'm sure even though you can't find the physical wherewithal to ride and rope any longer, you can still feed the horse, cinch the saddle and teach the younger roper a thing or two. Its all in how we look at things, isn't it?
    If we look around us, in today's society, too many of us older folks are displaying an attitude of "won't even try" even though we know we can, which gives the younger ones permission to lay back and viewing the welfare rolls, they are getting well practiced at it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive heard that's horrible @Patsy Faye. It's on my list of things I hope never happens. Hugs :)

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Let's see now. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line so by pure logic, when you go from point a to point b whilst zig zigzagging your way there you are getting more exercise than one who can walk in a straight line.
    :)

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes (in red above). That is one reason we are going to leave Florida and head back to northern Colorado or southern Wyoming. Seriously doubt if I'd ever own another horse, but to teach a youngin', that has a rope horse, how to rope, would be fine with me.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.