Too Much Rain

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We are to flooding. I don't know when I'll be able to mow my yard again. Yesterday we had a heron, his long legs deep in the water, checking out the fishing. Next we'll probably have jumping fish.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, At least I have a metal 18' flat bottom boat that I've had for over forty years. The last time I had to use it was in 2001, when 80% of Houston saw flooding. We got four feet just at our property. Thank goodness this old solid wood log cabin was built with those threats in mind. I'm told most of the structure was built in the 1870's.

We had gone to our vacation time share, so we where thankfully not to be in the major flooding as it happened. We drove home the day after, and after parking a good two miles from our place, we were able to make our way to the house. What we found was three feet of water surrounding the place. I told Mike there wasn't anything we could do at that stage. So we decided to go back, and join the family we left at the resort, and come back after the vacation. So we pulled our boat, and loaned it too a neighbor after he ferried us back to our car.

After a week we came home. Everything had drip dried, and when we hit the electrical switch, all was well. Our home had no damage other than what a good mop and a few rags could handle. We were the only family not to file with FEMA. They actual came out to see why not. We told them that we just didn't need it, and so many others did.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember that flood. I had a niece living in Houston and she couldn't get to work for a couple of days. I was living in Lubbock and she came home on the weekend while some repairs were being made. I could be wrong but what I've always accepted as the norm in weather seems to be changing.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are now entering the phase from dry season to wet season. Rains are intermittently showing its presence in the afternoon. Later on those trickles will be downpours and flash floods will greet us in the early evening. That season relieves us of irrigating the plants. You can imagine the chore of watering the plants in the morning and also in the afternoon during summer, the heat is terrible hence the need for watering them twice a day.

And the rainy season brings comfort to the plants and trees. However, too much rain would drench our backyard garden and kill the crops. Last year, our bed of cassava was inundated, leaving our cassava nearing to be harvested as worthless. Tsk, tsk, that normally happens when the rains come so we try to plant in consonance with the season.