Too Much Information?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting topic @Holly Saunders, as others have mentioned there are really two issues, the amount of information we are presented with, and our love/addiction of gadgets. I haven't had a TV for more than 40 years, so all my information comes from what I read on the internet and before that in print. I don't feel overloaded because I only spend a small part of the day reading it. I take a lot of what I read with a pinch of salt, knowing how biased/false most of it is.

I do love and use gadgets a lot especially my two smartphones, one is loaded with maps of all the countries we visit and is invaluable for finding our way around using gps, especially finding sites of interest while walking, the other I use as a hotspot for internet access on my notebook, I buy a local data sim card wherever we are for a few dollars. I have never been a phone person so very rarely use them for that purpose, I don't feel addicted to gadgets, but I find them a useful part of my life.

I can't say I fear too much for the future, feeling it's just another shift in our evolution, where it will take us I have no idea, but though to me it does at times look odd that so many of us spend so much time staring at screens, I guess that's just me growing old and becoming increasingly out of step with the modern world.

The one thing I have noticed is that it is a world wide phenomena, and is happening in every country I have visited from the poorest ones in Eastern Europe and Asia to the most developed, so it's not connected with wealth per se, more like the 100th monkey effect