Too Much Information?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

What do you think?...are we being bombarded by too much information..is it detrimental to our health ?

Watch this video... see if you agree

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we are. Since cell phones, 24/7 news, hundreds channel television, we are bombarded almost ever waking moment, we have no time to think; think things through. Some handle it better than others but it seems a detriment to me. I'm an old man coming from an age when radio and human contact and conversation was our only source of news or awareness of an outer world and some didn't have a radio to a time we are smothered with information. And now add false,information. Yes, I think it is detrimental to well being.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Great post, Holly. Although I really enjoy the info available on the web, I am not one addicted to it. I refuse to get a smart phone, and SOC is as close to Facebook as I get. My spouse, however, is becoming more and more addicted to it, as are the children (adults) and the grandchildren. This kind of thing has probably always been in human nature. Many of us were "addicted" to reading in earlier years, and before print, there was probably something else. I was not aware that Denzel was so enlightened.

Nice avatar, by the way!

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

Thank you for the compliment on my avatar @Don Alaska .:)

Yes I agree ..I fear for the toddlers of today who are stuck with an ipad or iphone in place of parental conversation or outside play...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not feel that I am addicted, but see that many- including my grown kids are. I make sure too take phone with me like walking to the mail box...only for fear of maybe falling and needing help.
    There are days I do not turn on tv or radio at all...not even in the car.Because I want to think on my own and need the silence. Most have lost the knack of experiencing the 'silence is golden' effect.
    I rarely get on FB anymore and only then to peek at family I never see...trust me I ain't on there long.
    What is bad are those who are tied to their phones because of work! To constantly be reachable by your employer is ridiculous...and if not reachable face
    serious repercussions.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know. There are those here that refuse to watch or listen to the local news, because of the almost daily shootings in parts of this city. I look at the local news on my news app, but very seldom watch local news on tv.

Too much info, yes and no. Detrimental to a person's health? Guess that would depend on just how much info a person listens or watches daily, but I think it could. Too much info could definitely make a person at least think about moving so far into the mountains, that they couldn't get all of that info.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I rarely take my phone with me, and I don't usually answer it unless it's someone I know. Nor do I check my messages, much to my wife's disgust. I do use it to get online once in a while when in a restaurant, if I forget my Kindle, or perhaps while my wife is driving. I like having it because we no longer have a landline, and it's good to have a phone in the case of accidents or breakdowns, which don't happen, but who knows.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Basically, we have two aspects here: information processing and the use of modern media and gadgets.

There's no doubt about that information overload which we can only cope with by consciously ignoring certain information, on the one hand, and by filtering the remaining stream of information on the other hand.
    I, for one, needed a bit of encouragement to do the former perhaps because I wrongly assumed that one has got to be interested in anything, often preferably just in that which a person you may be talking to happens to be into. I started feeling better once I came to accept that less can be more and that not every single black hole needs to be filled.
    I also realised that there is nothing wrong about things being highly subjective because they are processed differently by each human being.

When it comes to the use of media it may be useful to remember that "they are not doing anything to us" to modify that question in the video slightly. After all, it's us who are in control or at least should be. The scene in the restaurant is, to my mind, exaggerated but there's a certain danger. I'd not say that I have become addicted to those gadgets and I'd even venture to say that I'm fully in control of how I use media. We need to be careful with exposing kids to them, though. That's a different ball game.
    So I would not fully agree to the key message of the video but the issue is worth being addressed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly, I too like your Avatar! :)

Did you change it because of my comment about "The other side of your head"?

Hal

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

errrm....nope, I just got fed up looking at the back of my hair. o_O

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Did you watch the video Cody?

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Some people should not be allowed to breed!

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And many people should be locked up for an extended time....

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

As he said in the first part of the video, so much of what we get is misinformation.

If you offered a reward of $100 to go without cellphone, computer or TV for a month, I doubt if many people could do it. I have no doubt that the majority of Americans are addicted to one or all of them.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.